LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how important is diet?????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how important is diet?????
lad1121
Member # 20133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lad1121     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need help!!! I am having a really hard time with the whole diet thing. I hear so many different things about sugar.

One person says fruit is no good because of the sugar, and another person says its o.k. because ts natural sugar.

Pasta, chips, icecream, etc.... I love it all. If I cheat once a week will this effect my treatment?

I am trying, but I seem to be hungry all the time, and when I open the fridge, everything has sugar, or flour, etc....

Its so hard when you have a big family {4 kids} because lets face it, groceries are expensive enough. And I cant afford to buy all separate groceries from the rest of my family on top of my lyme treatment.

anyone else struggling with their diet?

Posts: 21 | From p.a. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry you're having a hard time -- it can get really expensive.

some organic foods are often cheaper than nonorganic food:

brown organic rice in bulk from earthfare - you bag it yourself to save money

bulk cous-cous
bulk oatmeal
bulk nuts
bulk dried beans (sometimes cheaper in a can)

bulk *anything* is usually cheaper

also, some cities have co-op programs where neighbors buy from local farmers and get whatever is in season at low prices

sugars should be reduced -- i'm guilty too of cheating now and then -- dove bars, yum yum

when i get a sugar craving, i try to get over it with a cup of tea

also, cottage cheese is filling and tastes good with a little fruit mixed in

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a very difficult time with diet. Fatigueand not feeling like fixing it and the distance I have to travel to buy what I need.

If I stuck to the perfect diet, I wouldn't weigh anything at all!

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have areal difficult time with diet. Too tired to fix it and have to go a long distance to get what I need.

I also have a problem with keeping any weight on. I follow a far from perfect diet, and lost 20#.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Sorry, thought I deleted the first post because of all the typos!
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a nutritionist to get an eating plan.

It really helps me!

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I did the best with diet when we had moved to another state and had to start over with groceries.

We've been eating down our 'dry goods' the past several weeks so we can start 'fresh'.

From my experience strict diet is key, but I was on super strict, about 30-40 ounces of freshly made raw carrot/apple juice per day, fresh fruit, barley grass powder, and enormous salads, with occassional homemade black bean soup. I stopped craving sugar after probably a month and several months later when I had a piece of chocolate, I couldn't believe how yucky it tasted to me!

Course I got a lot better, went off the diet (I was not on abx at the time, didn't know this 'thing' was Lyme) and stayed pretty good for 8-9 months and panic attacks and fatigue slowly crept in.

It is SO hard to eat super healthy when you are stressed though! We've been having a difficult time with our son's teacher, so we are in the process of taking him out of school to homeschool, ect.

Also, I am lucky in that even though my husband doesn't have Lyme, he is more than willing to do the diet with me, as a type one diabetic, he got down to 20 units of Lantus insulin per day. But...being the woman in the house, I have to prepare all the food and eating raw it takes a LOT of preparation!

Good luck to you!!!

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree that a better diet can reduce recovery time, and therefore it's probably best to minimize intake of foods that are immunosuppresive, such as fish oil and sugar.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think diet is important. Unfortunately the diet that one might need might not be exactly the same as the next person needs. So ultimately I have had to find what works for me.

On top of avoiding yeast issues with diet, some people develope allergies, some people have a senstitivty to gluten or actual celiac disease. I have digestive issues to consider and I have found that I just feel worse if I dont eat meat.

And you could probaly just do some substiting (although i am not sure how that will go over with kids) like instead of spagetti and meatballs you could make brown rice and ground meat (we eat ground turkey alot) and sauce. Ragu makes a no sugar added sauce now so you shouldnt have to go out of your way to get it. I stock up when the grocery store puts it on sale.

They do actually make brown rice spagetti which i think is pretty tasty. It is more expensive than regular spagetti. It is pretty tasty and if you didnt tell your family they might not know you switched. I get it from vitacost.

I know shoprite sells canned organic beans with sea salt and they are not much more money than the regular ones. Even walmart (where they are cheaper) sells canned diced tomatoes which i eat instead of stewed tomatoes (stewed tomatoes have sugar). You could add some spices to give them more flavor if you want.

Sometimes you could make a meal and just cook/eat yours a little different. Like If you have a forman grill you can take ground meat mixed with chopped oinions (you could add spices too) and make turkey burgers. Make a vegatable with it. if you wanted they could eat theres in a sandwhich and you could eat it on the plate (its really good if you add lettuce/tomato)

another meal is tacos. I just eat my meat without the taco sauce (due to the sugar) so I would take some meat out for me before i added the taco mix. We get the hard taco shells basicaaly just corn and oils. Some people have to watch the dairy though (cheese, sour cream). I usually leave the dairy off personally. I usually add lettuce tomatoes and black olives as my toppings. I also eat those refried beans with my tacos but I have to read the labels because some contain vinegar which i am not supposed to eat.

I know there is a low carb recipe group at lymefriends. maybe you could also find some kid friendly recipes there.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you will know when you know
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...SUGAR in taco sauce???? That's the worst sounding thing I ever heard of...it shouldn't taste like sweet spaghetti sauce...I think I need to find a taco sauce recipe and post it...other than the natural sugar in the tomatoes there shouldn't be any sweetener in there.

Blech! sweet tacos.... [shake]

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, "lad", but when you are on Hi-level antibiotics, you MUST NOT CONSUME SUGERY STUFF. PERIOD.
Say goodbye to ice cream & Most desserts until you are past the acute stage.

Some fresh fruit at the end of a full meal is acceptable. Prefferably hi-fiber fruit.

Limit potato chips (lite on the oil/ baked preferred) & avoid pasta like Dr. Burrascano says in his [2008] Guidelines.
A "high-fiber, hi-protein diet" is recommended.

Failure to comply with this will lead to yeast over-growth (& possibly worse things, like C. Difficile) in your GI tract, & you don't want that!!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No SUGARY stuff either. [lol]

You don't want to cause glucose level spikes.
The borrelia take that as a sign that 'times are good'... and can multiply.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lad1121
Member # 20133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lad1121     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for all your replies on this topic. It has been very helpful. So glad I joined this site!!!
Posts: 21 | From p.a. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cutting out man made sugar is the first thing I would do, no doubt.

I would then look into cutting out really yeasty foods and doing some food allergy testing.

Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rebecky
Member # 19251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rebecky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lad1121 I'm so glad you posted your worries because I've been sitting here wondering what the hell I'm supposed to be doing.

My LLMD said I need to get my yeast under control before he starts ABX. He suggested Atkins. So I have been doing that all week while taking 8 nystatin tabs a day.

So all week I was both herxing and going through sugar withdrawals. I'm less homicidal now, but I'm still no sure what to eat.

I've looked at anti-yeast diets, atkins, etc...and they're all different. I'm confused and crabby.

The good news though is that I don't crave anything sugary anymore.

I'm just lost, don't know what to eat and am yelling at everyone because of it. My stomach is huge and so is the rest of me. If anyone has had success getting this weight off, let me know.

Posts: 19 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get the CR** out of your house!! It's too tempting!!!

Candida diet and elimination:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

http://wholeapproach.com/diet

In answer to your question:

VERY IMPORTANT!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
[QB] ...SUGAR in taco sauce???? That's the worst sounding thing I ever heard of...]

There's hidden sugar in a lot of foods, esp sauces. Ketchup comes to mind.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Bottom line:

Eat proteins and vegetables. Low glycemic as best you can. Makes the diet easy that way. ( well, easy to figure out.. hard to do!! ) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Diets don't work. Eating plans do. Healthful eating is a way of life. Gluten is not off my diet; I simply do not eat foods containing gluten.

While I have no family and it's easier regarding what's in my fridge, I find just it is best to just not have anything that is not REAL food around.

I bought a bunch of good quality plastic bins with great seals to keep carrots, kale, chard, etc. fresh. Putting it into bins and washing it as soon as it comes in the door makes the fridge much neater and easier to access.

--------------------------

Proteins: Eggs, lean meats, low-mercury and WILD fish (not farmed), nuts, legumes. Legumes are excellent source of protein and low gycemic as they take a long time to digest so they hold you over).

Good fats: olive oil, coconut oil, nuts

Carbs are required by our bodies but not process carbs/simple sugars.

Veggies: The wider variety of color, the better.

Fruits: until candida is under control, perhaps no fruit, or just a few berries right after a meal. When under control, perhaps berries and tart apples. No sugar added. ever.

Stevia is a natural sweetener that is safe. NO artificial sweeteners - even in mints or gum - even check toothpaste. Even a trace of aspartame can be toxic to brain cells.

Good whole grains (gluten-free & in moderation): quinoa (and red quinoa); millet; brown and black rices; wild rice (this is really a grass); buckwheat (not a wheat, really a legume).

---

SPICES and KITCHEN HERBS will liven things up. Eating a dinner for breakfast is very wise. Forget the idea of a sweet breakfast. That idea was never a good one.

However, you can have some whole grains (or even a little oatmeal) with stevia and cinnamon - AFTER you've had your protein and veggies. Yes, veggies for breakfast. You will feel better all day. Never miss protein in the morning. Ever.

-
=============

Great information here about nutrition and food:

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

==========

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano'sTreatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

You can search: "self-care" - "diet" - nutrition

Note that he says excellent self care is required for anyone to even have the chance to get better.

===========================

There really is no way that you family should have to eat separate meals. The food plan that lyme patients follow need not be restrictive at all with good seasoning. Flavor is what we all crave. We can all have that.

Most of the foods people may miss were never even around a hundred years ago. Our ancestors survived on the basics for millions of years. We can, too.

A few good cookbooks that you can find a Amazon:

The Cure is in the Kitchen

A Spoonful of Ginger

The Mediterranean Diet (Marissa Clouteir, MS, RD)

=========

For a treat Snack crackers that are gluten-free and organic:

www.marysgonecrackers.com

---

Ezekial Bread (by Food for Life) makes many sprouted grain products but be sure to read the label because some contain gluten (added or in the barley malt).

The Ezekial sprouted grain tortillas are very nice.

Trader Joe's has good prices on nuts and frozen berries (no sugar added). They also have flash frozen fish and chicken breasts.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Nice thing with protein is that, when enough is consumed, the craving for simple sugars disappears. Craving sugar is also one sign of low magnesium.

Milk can really gum up a person's throat and that phlegm is just a breeding ground for germs. If milk increases phlegm, there are other choices but be sure to get unsweetened rice, almond or soy milks. So many use rice syrups.

===============

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

- 20 pages

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India

129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148. Review Article.

Excerpt: " . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement