LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sleep meds...what does your LLMD prescribe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleep meds...what does your LLMD prescribe?
tickbattler
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hubby is having a terrible time with insomnia...just curiuos to know what sleep meds your doc has prescribed and what you found was best for you?

If anyone goes to Dr. H in NY, can you tell me what he prescribes?

Has anyone had success with Dr. Zhang's herbsom?

Thanks,

tickbattler

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. H prescribed Ambien. When that didn't work, Lunesta. Also, Ambien CR .... also regular Ambien with Sonata when I woke up.

What finally worked very, very well, was Ambien or Lunesta with Lyrica. Don't hesitate to get the Lyrica, it was the miracle that kept me sleeping.

Now, I'm off all sleep meds and taking a few herbs. It took me a few months, but I weaned off with no probs.

We didn't try any rx meds till I tried herbs first.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using Ambien, but sleep studies show for the last 3 years I have not gotten any Stage 3/4 Deep Sleep.

I am getting a new prescription for something called zyrem. It is a liquid and I am very excited about getting it.

I think if I ever got any sleep, I wouldn't be so tired all the time!!

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommends:

5 HTP 100 mg 3x/day

L theanine 100 mg 3x/day

Sublingual melatonin 1-18 mg under tongue at bedtime....start with lowest dose and work up as needed.

Some people are affected by low doses of sublingual melatonin and it can work quickly. Take it while getting into bed to make sure you don't get dizzy and fall down.

I am taking 15 mg...I am not affected by low doses, although he says I may need to decrease my dose as I get healthier.

I have actually had decent sleep for the past 7 nights in a row, which is unbelievable to me.

I was taking gabapentin 300 mg in the evening before I ever saw my LLMD and he said I could continue it.

It is important to check for med/supplement interactions. It is dangerous to take these supplements with MAOI or SSRI antidepressants.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ambien and trazodone

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Xanax and neurontin, .75 and 600 mg respectively.
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsiebenh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsiebenh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xanax, but I also need a muscle relaxer so this kills 2 birds with one stone.

.125mg works for 3-4 hours for me - a 200 lb. guy. .25 mg for 5 hours.

Posts: 252 | From NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

www.nytimes.com/2006/03/14/business/14ambienbox.html?_r=1&scp=5&sq=ambien&st=cse&oref=slogin

The New York Times - March 14, 2006

Safeguards When Using Ambien

====================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77321

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seroquel, 150 mg
Restoril, 30 mg
Ambien, 10 mg

Of late this is not working as well as it did before, now I am adding a natural capsule that has a mixture of Chamomile, Hops, and Valerian, which is helping.

I probably need to change something but I'm not sure what. This combo worked great for the first year or so.

I tried to substitute the Restoril with Dalmane but it was less effective for me.

Can't take Melatonin, gives me nightmares, and Trazedone gives me heart palps.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has severe sleep issues and I will say the BEST thing I have ever found for him is called Super Snooze, by Puritan's Pride. I haven't used it myself because it has Melatonin in it.

But for him, it puts him out in 30 minutes, and he has been on all kinds of prescriptions, Melatonin at high dose, etc. This stuff is magic for him.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfli
Member # 17186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for butterfli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ambien was terrible for me. But I do like Trazadone (two 50 mg tabs). My LLMD says that Trazadone is good for lymies. But still I have trouble sleeping two days a week so I'm going to ask for something else thats stronger during my next visit.
Posts: 58 | From Silicon Valley | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!!! I see a lot of Ambien in there.... I had a real bad expierence with Ambien.

Was sleep walking on it....

I take Serequel and Valium....

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trazadone worked good for me until I developed a tolerance, and couldn't handle a larger dose because it caused palps.

I have Melatonin 3mg tablets, and am quite surprised that 1/4 tablet works great for me! That's only .75mg.

Elavil helped with sleep and my fatigue. I gained weight, though.

Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseNM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseNM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ambien worked for about 3 weeks, then quit working. I've been taking Lunesta for a while now, and it works like a charm. Expensive, but worth it so I can function in the day.

--------------------
dx: MS in 1998
2007 - Lyme suspected
2009 - Positive Lyme, MS worse. Now: Copaxone shots for MS
gall bladder out 7/09
Ceftin, Zith, Septra
LDN
Acyclovir
Monolaurin, DHEA, Pregnonelon, Curcumin

Posts: 243 | From New Mexico | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 htp amd melatonin

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bwillis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwillis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyrica to fall asleep, melatonin to stay asleep. I went from sleeping 20 minutes at a time over a month time to sleeping 6 to 7 hours almost every night now. (Unless my bladder woke me) But it was a great improvment. Don't be afraid of Lyrica. It helps.
Posts: 199 | From utah | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see the same LLMD and take Lunestra
OR Zanax with 6 mg Melatonin and Passion Flower.
Passion Flower is so relaxing and in many
supplement combos for sleep.
I also take an heral combo called Stress J too.

I switch around each night so I do not
get use to any of it.

I tried many of the herbs first too and
have tried all the sleep meds out there.

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement