LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Women with hair loss?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women with hair loss?
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been experiencing a dramatic amount of hair loss quite suddenly. I am currently on Rifampin/Biaxin and a trillion supplements, including Dessicated Adrenal and Ashwanganda.

I don't if my adrenal gland is out of whack or hormones are out of balance or meds or lyme are causing it. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had significant hairloss lately too and the one thing I have in common with you is Biaxin....Hmmmmm???

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

www.24weekperfectbaby.blogspot.com

Son's blog born at 24 weeks.

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Erica, but now that I think about the Biaxin...my hair loss started before I started taking it (I just started it).

Previous to the Biaxin I was taking Bactrim with the Rifampin.

I hope we figure this out before we lose more. [Frown]

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was losing a lot of hair last year when I first started having symptoms.

Hubby was having to clean out the shower drain every week because I was losing so much hair.

At that point I wasn't on anything; now I'm on Doxy and Rifampin.

The hair loss for me seemed to slow down on its own even before abx, so I don't know what was going on.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimwg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had hair loss too... Could it be thyroid related? A lot of people with lyme also seem to have thryoid issues (my doc says due to inflammation). I had been on thyroid hormones and had stopped taking them by accident (forgot to renew rx) and hair loss increased. Seems to have tapered off since I got back on the thyroid.

--------------------
Wildlife biologist working in tropics since 1997; tick bites in Nicaragua in March 2007, started getting sick May 2007; diagnosed with Lyme based on serological testing in Jan 2009; treatment starting Feb 2009. Wish me luck!

Posts: 116 | From Seattle | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too had gobs of hair loss every day. I could have made more than one wig by now! lol

Also, before lyme, my hair had great body and sometimes very curly with increases in the humidity.

Now, after treatment (but still on cats claw and supplements) the hair loss has subsided.

Strangely enough, my hair seems to have had so much stress it has lost its body and no curl! [Frown]

I often related it to the lyme which interfered with delicate hormone balance.

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had hair loss too before tx and after starting
tx.

Bicillin IM helped me get
my hair back to being full and
wavy and healthy looking too.
A supplement help
me a lot too before I went on the Bicillin.

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Stacy,

So glad to hear a "hair success story". I'm so happy to know that Bicillin shots helped you so much.

I'm allergic to Bicillin but maybe I can find my own magic bullet. When I did a search here on "hair loss" a few people said they had significant hair loss from Diflucan.

I was only on Diflucan for 10 days and I don't think that was the cause for me. It started to fall out before I started it.

Gem, sorry you lost your curls.

VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto... I just had to "drano" my shower drain last night b/c it was stopped up with my hair.

My hair is getting VERY dry too.

And the hair that fell out is growing back, so now I have these two inch long clumps of baby hair in different spots on my head.

Fortunately it blends in right now.

There is this supplement called Appearex that helps grow nails and hair. My friend's doctor recommended this to her for her nails. I've read good reviews about it too. I think it's biotin and gelatin.

I'll let you know if it works, but it's supposed to take a few months.

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedoffjan
Member # 15944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedoffjan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am experiencing severe hair loss. I am on diflucan which I now know can attribute to hair loss as well as lyme itself. Yesterday when I washed my hair I lost an unbelievable amount. I had myself a 10 minute sob session. No, it didn't bring the hair back but I did feel a bit better. I am actually getting a bald spot on the back of my head. Before long my husband and I are going to be twins.
Posts: 90 | From Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lad1121
Member # 20133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lad1121     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also experiencing hair loss. Mine started before treatment and has subsided since. But It is very noticeable now and I hope it all grows back in soon.
Posts: 21 | From p.a. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a lot of hair loss last year while on steroids. This was before I knew I had lyme. I guess the steroids really messed me up.

My lyme symptoms have been worse since taking them. My hair fell out for about six months, but has now stopped and is looking a little better.

There is a shampoo, Nioxin, which helps, but it's kind of expensive. It makes the hair look healthier and thicker.

They have it at the Wal-Mart's that have a salon. Hope things get better.

Take care and God bless.

Linky

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What IS hair?

It is made of many things...protein being a "biggie". Protein is a chain of amino acids.

The chemical composition (nutrients needed) is explained (not hard to understand) here:

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_14.htm

Bb triggers 2 metalloproteinases.

MMP2 and MMP9.

These are elastase and collagenase.

They breakdown elastin and collagen respectfully.

Elastase and hair:

" Elastase produced dramatic effects upon hair bundles. Both lateral and tip links were *degraded* resulting in separation and splaying of stereocilia."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2166989

When you go to the above, note the mention of plasmin and collagen also.

Bb binds to our plasminogen -> plasmin which it coats itself in much the same way as it did initially - it coats itself with the protein (SALP 15) it gets from the tick's saliva to prevent immune detection initially.

This triggers the MMPs...esp. MMP2 and MMP9 (systemic).

We are trying hard to REACH Bb. We are trying to "dissolve" the proteins Bb has "cloaked" itself in.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blaze
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gemofnj:
[QB]
Strangely enough, my hair seems to have had so much stress it has lost its body and no curl!

Since starting treatment for Lyme, my hair has actually gotten curlier. Anybody else?

It is only curly from my ears down though. It looks like I got a perm 6 months ago and it's growing out.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jtavares76
Member # 19216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jtavares76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't started treatment yet but hair loss has been a major problem for me since symptoms started in December.

I used to have thick, full hair and not it's limp and lacks volume.

Hopefully it will get better after lyme treatment.

JT

Posts: 72 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Sorry, I'm too tired to read all the replies so there may be some overlap here. Just off the top of my head:

Thyroid?

-----

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77129

Topic: Women over 35: Hormones

Discussion of bio-identical hormone choices, video links, etc.

--

And, for men, hormone changes, too, can cause hair loss.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm too tired to read the replies as well. But for me, I was losing clumps of hair at a time in the shower.

Turns out it was hypothyroid from Lyme. Once I was put on Armour Thyroid, my hair grew back thick like it was before.

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jam338
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jam338     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
losing lots of hair here too; not on any ABX so mine isn't that. Not only am I finding hair everywhere, when I run my hands through hair there is a significant amount of loose hair.

At first I thought it was a cycle, but it is continuing now to the point of being able to see and feel the lost.

I have (had) very thick hair. Even hubby said something yesterday about my hair looking thinner. He never notices such things.

Mine is also feels like the texture is changing. It feels more wiry and dry.

I do have thyroid problems, maybe it is signalling something is out of whack there.

Getting blood test drawn today so that will show more what is happening.

Posts: 495 | From SF Bay area, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to take Biotin 7,500 mg every day. If I forget it for more than three days I get hair loss. I heard Dr. K has something for people with hair loss, probably check with his nurse/ pharmacy.
Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jentytib
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jentytib     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I began to lose my hair on Mino. I didn't think

much of it till I mentioned it to my Dr. and he

was like "why didn't you tell me this?"

After I stopped mino my hair stopped falling out.

--------------------
http://alwaystrustyourgut.blogspot.com

Posts: 182 | From United States | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
before dx and tx, one of my children and myself both experienced major hair loss

with tx we regained our hair, plus the shine was back too

however i started losing hair last fall after i started plaquenil

llmd stated that he had a few patients experience this on plaquenil

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They MAKE far infrared hair dryers...don't have to get the most expensive one.

Does not "chemotherapy" cause hair loss?

Thyroid problems can contribute too.

Protein. Hair IS a protein (keratin). A *fibrous* protein.

Fibrin problem with lyme...yea...

Protein deficiency. Bb is using OUR amino acids to build and rebuild its cell walls.

This might shed some light:

http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology-definition/Keratin/

Also Bb camps out in the basement membranes. Once you've read/skimmed the above link, look at where Bb is in relation to the epidermis (picture):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basement_membrane

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement