LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » For those who enjoy spa massages- advise needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For those who enjoy spa massages- advise needed
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a number of you get massages. I don't. Can't stand them.

So I need advise on what kind you'd like if you could go to a spa for a day. Or if a manicure or whatever is good?

They have "waxes" at some of these places.... but I'm not sure I need too many details ... but if they are "special", please advise.

I don't know the kinds of massages the spas offer... so I can't pick one.... and I don't know what all the French and European "things" are.

And I am not into reading reviews from strangers or researching this stuff.

Any advise for a 30 year old lady who needs a break?

Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't do any "fancy" massages. No deep tissue either. Ouch!!!

Just a light touch type of massage.

It feels good and makes me feel better.

I've tried the hot stones, but hurt for a long time after that.

Of course, most important to drink lots of water for detox after.

That is my advice. One 30 year old lady's to another. [Big Grin]

Maybe get a handsome young, muscular man to do it.

May be worth it just for the eye candy. [Big Grin]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massages can pull out a lot of toxins, so you can feel bad afterward. I have a guy I go to every other week who is trained in lymphatic drainage and craniosacral work. It's great, but I'm wiped out the rest of the day.

If you want something that's sure to not make you feel bad, I'd get a European facial (they give a good shoulder massage, scalp massage, etc. with this).

If you want a second treatment, get a pedicure. Manicures are okay and make your nails look pretty, but a good pedicure includes a foot soak and foot massage. Plus, who can really get to their own toe cuticles?

If you get a massage .... a Swedish massage is just a basic relaxation massage. I'd probably go for one of those and tell them to do it lightly. Drink LOTS of water the day of a massage.

I love hot stone massages, but they do a lot of detox because of the heat of the stones. It doesn't go as deep as some massages, though, so I think it's a good detox for a Lymie, but you might feel bad for a time because of the moving toxins.

Does the place you're going to have a website? If you want to post it, I'll look at it and tell you what treatments I would recommend.

Geneal, too bad they don't show you pictures of the people giving the treatments, LOL.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very gentle *lymph massage* called Vodder helps a LOT.

Not many massage therapists know how to do that though.

Read about it here (for one):

http://www.massageworld.co.uk/articles/manual-lymphatic-drainage-vodder-method

My sis has had this done several times and it really helped...for awhile.

You could call around and see if anyone in your area has been trained in that technique.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gridmonster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gridmonster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massage has helped me, as well. You may have to try more than one therapist, they're not all equally skilled. My neck was in really bad shape before I had some message therapy done on it.
Posts: 135 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, I'm assuming this 30 year old lady has lyme?

If so, a swedish massage is gentle and relaxing, foot reflexolgy is great, a manicure and pedicure will make her feel nice. If they offer lymphatic drainage that would be be very good too.

If she does not have lyme, any kind of massage is good, a facial, manicure and pedicure, any kind of package they offer.....all wonderful.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree with everyone too. I had the most grinding neck pain for more 2 months continuously.

Every day I would wake up with it and I couldnt figure out what was causing the discomfort or how to get rid of it.

My LLMD recommended massages and I kept putting it off.

Eventually, I followed her advice and after 3-4 massages with a very excellent therapist, I have absolute no neck pain. Yay! [Smile]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

The very first massage I had was a "Swedish" massage and I've had few since. I find them to be excruciatingly painful. Peel me off the ceiling. Swedish massages go very deep into muscles.

Although every LMT should not go deeper or push harder than you tell them, be sure you can communicate well regarding the pressure.

--

there are dozens of kinds of massages. You might look at the national association's website for some definitions.

---

The Trager method of massage, rocking the body gently, is very relaxing. And, although I have constant vertigo, the rocking is usually okay as, with the head in the headrest and it stayed fairly stable because they usually only rock one arm or legs at a time.

The resistance and pressure is just right to move some stuff along and also release muscle tension.

Not all massage therapists are trained in this but you might ask.

A simple Google search bring up many good links for "Trager massage"

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

www.amtamassage.org

Welcome to The American Massage Therapy Association

The American Massage Therapy Association offers massage therapy information and resources for AMTA members, consumers . . . .

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tincup, you're not trying to pass yourself off as a 30-yr. old now are you my friend? [lol] [Big Grin]

2 years ago i started treating myself to a 1 hr. complete body LIGHT TOUCH massage including the feet; felt good, but they didn't last long for me paying $50 - $60 each time and out of pocket.

just have them LISTEN to you; it hurts; speak up immediately until they get a touch that feels good on your body vs. hurting you like crazy!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a gift certificate to use this weekend for a spa. I am concerned about getting a swedish massage in case it's too rough.

Here's an idea!

One time I got a facial and scalp massage. I loved it! My face look great and the scalp massage felt wonderful. They also did a deep conditioner. I might do that again [Smile]

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
utz20
Member # 17058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for utz20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a lymph massage every other week and know that it helps move the dead stuff out. Deep massage was definitely wrong for me. make sure the therapist is actually trained for lymph massage.
Posts: 27 | From SW VA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't stand anybody digging into my muscles...just makes me tense up worse....
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you book a Swedish massage just explain the situation and ask for a massage therapist who has a light relaxing touch. All the others types of massage are either deep tissue or too deep for people with Lyme.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your expertise and opinions!

I was trying to read the reviews online and they were not real helpful.

Hey G-

Eye candy. You are a funny girl.... HA!

```````````````````````````````````````
Hey goofy mom with 6 kids- nice to see you!

I had no clue what a European massage was so that does help! All those "big words" and I was lost. Thanks! And I'll remember about the hot rocks and to tell her.

````````````````````````````````````````````

Marnie,

Thank you too. I can't believe they do 5 years of training for that method. It sounds good.

The lymphatic system being clogged seems to cause edema from what they report... something others here may take note of too. I am glad it helped your sister and her immune system.

Thanks for the good info and explanation... as always.

``````````````````````````````````````````````

Hey gmonster...

That reminds me I have another friend who could probably use one too! She has had awful neck problems and this sounds good. Thank you. I'll be sure to tell her about it.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey no mo abx...

I think I will let her pick the things she would like.. and the LIGHT Swedish sounds good.... hold the heavy hand. You have good advise. Thanks!

```````````````````````````````````````````````

Gem...

That's a deal then! Having your opinion on it makes it now sold to the highest bidder! Thanks for letting me know.

```````````````````````````````````````````````

As always Keeb... great info. And I had to laugh. You said... "Peel me off the ceiling"...

THAT is what it feels like to me! UGGGGGG!!!!!

I had a physical therapist for 5 years and after the first couple of visits I nick-named her Darth Vader.

HA!

Good site to look over too! Much appreciated.

``````````````````````````````````````````````

YO! BG.... NOT funny my friend. My OLD friend. HA! Call ME names will ya? I'll remember that!

And I guess what you are saying is ... don't punch the massage therapist in the nose if they hurt you... right?

hehehe

````````````````````````````````````````````````

Amy... what you gonna do? I think, I could stay with you- for a while maybe longer, and if I do.....

NOW I am singing again. GEEZE!

But your idea made ME think I might like THAT! A scalp massage.... hmmmmm??? I'll bet if they did it with a brick it would have to make my head feel better than it has in a long while! Thanks for sharing.

`````````````````````````````````````````````

Hey clutz... or is that utz? he he he

Do you do an entire body lymph massage each time? I would think that would help... but for those overloaded with toxins.... wouldn't that kind of be a lot to handle? Did they work up slowly?

Does it wear you out too?

Thanks for sharing.

`````````````````````````````````````````````

Hey muffin head...

THAT is a good way to describe it. After years of that pain... it is hard to even think of someone diggin in MY muscles too.

Say hey to Petunia from me.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi TC,

You asked about manicures and waxing too.

Manicures and pedicures are always nice, to me anyway. I keep my nails short and don't care for polish myself so instead I ask them to do everyting except paint my nails. They finish with a nice "buffing" that leaves them clean looking.

Waxing hurts! I tried it on my eyebrows a couple of times and it just was too painful for me. However, spas can usually do tweezing instead and that was more gentle for me.

Some people also like to get facials at spas. Not me, I am too picky about the products that touch my face, but I know that a lot of ladies like them.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massage is tricky - it can make you feel worse. I used to love deep massages before I got Lyme. One time I went to see this Russian lady. She was great but I was in bed for 2 days after in severe pain...

I've had Vodder technique lymph drainage & it's very relaxing. It's usually kind of expensive. Cranial Sacral Massage is usually very good & gentle. You have to explain to the massage therapist that you have a special condition & you can't tolerate deep massage.

Foot massage is nice too - but you really have to tell the therapist that you can't tolerate deep massage. I haven't had a body wrap (seaweed, clay, moor mud, etc.) recently but it was very nice when I did have them. It's hard to say how I would react to it now, though.

It depends on your health... Aromatherapy facials might be a good choice. The scalp massage sounds good, too.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Just heard from the spa girl.

She was thrilled to get a gift certificate!

She picked out a whole slew of things to have done with your helpful hints... and she was excited that they even serve lunch with the whole day package!

So thanks again for your kind words of advise.

I smile.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! That's great! I have heard about nice spas offering lunch and making a person feel like a queen for the day.

You did a good thing making her happy! [Cool]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so tc, was this a gift to your daughter who made you a PROUD GRANDMA ?? [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement