LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » instill antibiotics into bladder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: instill antibiotics into bladder
ichelp73
Member # 19559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichelp73     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis... Have used bladder instillations in the past for bladder pain (elmiron, herparin, and others) with only moderate / very temporary relief.

Since oral antibiotics seem to help so much (biaxin and plaquenil), anyone tried instilling antibiotics directly into the bladder? Makes a lot of sense to me. But have not heard of anyone actually instilling antibiotics.

Posts: 81 | From Birmingham, AL | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could help, but keep in mind that some IC is caused by yeast and fungus in the bladder.

I had a war of lyme and fungals vying for opportunity, which made it tricky. Bicillin seemed to get rid of the lyme in my bladder, but then it got worse again when I got a fungal (not regular candida) problem.

Have you been on any antifungals, and if so, do they make a difference in bladder symptoms?

I think if it were me, I would either use a PCR test from a reputable lyme lab, or muscle testing to determine what infections exactly are causing the problem before going through the discomfort of a procedure.

I do believe that IC is caused by pathogens, and is cureable if you can identify the culprit, and the right treatment combination.

In my opinion, chances are that if you have a pathogen infection of the bladder, you have it systemically, so treating just the bladder with an antibiotic instillation might not solve the problem, and you could get it again, unless you treat the whole body for it.

Still, you may hear from someone else who tried it and it worked for them.

I have heard of people doing instillations of colloidal silver, which is supposed to kill a wide variety of bacteria and also fungals. You never know.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EEK! AS a fellow IC patient, this sounds like a bad idea to me. I think abx works in the blood, not in organs....?????

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ichelp73
Member # 19559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ichelp73     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on a strong anti-yeast program. First diet - I eat no sweets and very few carbs like bread. Take nystatin - six per day as well as one fluconozole per day. So I should be covered.

The main differnce I notice in my bladder relates to antibiotics - not the antifungals.

I hear over and over how well the bicillin shots work. My NP said she might provide them to me given the results from some lab work I had done yesterday. She doesn't think I need them with clarith / plaquenil. She wants to see how I do after a few die-off cycles and then re-evaluate the need for BiCillin. She said it is a big step to take - injections 1-2 x/week and not inexpensive.

But I have been taking antibiotics off and on for quite some time now and would like to try the shots if possible to see if they would speed up the healing process in the area of my bladder that causes pain.

Posts: 81 | From Birmingham, AL | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on the abx - some are filtered by the kidneys in active form, so the bladder is full of them. Penicillin is one for instance, Bactrim is another (which is commonly used for bladder/UT infections).

When penicillin was first introduced, it had to be "recycled". Thankfully we do not have to do that anymore.

Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement