LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Buying the right magnesium......important!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buying the right magnesium......important!
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me something I think I knew, but was ignoring.

You must buy good quality (absorbable) magnesium if you want the benefits.

Mg OXIDE is the cheap stuff and that is what you get...it doesn't absorb well at all.

Something like Mg GLYCINATE would be better absorbed.

I got the lecture about the Mg I use ... thinking it would help my heart issues.........NOT!!! [bonk]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup... I knew and ignored it, too. My sweet husband bought me some magnesium glycinate today. The mg oxide was not helping a bit.

--------------------
Never doubt in darkness what the daylight proves to you.

Posts: 418 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MG oxide I think is what they give to cause the squirts and cramping
Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's exactly what you use mag oxide for.

The best form of mag and most absorable is magnisium glycinate. But you also must buy a good pharmacuetical grade brand such as

pure encapsulations (no fillers), Metagenics, Thorne, Douglas, Allergy Research Group, Nutricology, Ortho molecular, Tyler, Phyto Pharmica, standard process to name a few.

These brands actually test to make sure that what they claim are in there products are in there.

Supplements are not regulated. With cheap brands you have no way of knowing what you are getting, if any of the active ingredient.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a difficult time finding the right kind of magnesium to buy. Finally when I found a store that did have it, there was only one bottle left.

From now on, I think I'll purchase it on-line.

Can anyone recommend a reputable source for supplements that I can order from?

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, good to know Lymetoo...thanx...

I've been using the Mg Oxide and it hasn't put a dent in the twitchies....

I know Mg is detrimental to some abx though, right? I'm using Ceftin right now and Zith...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had good luck with the Mg 'L-lactate dihydrate' version that Dr. B recommends.
Helped my muscle twitches (esp in my left elbow) calm down a bunch.

Niche Pharmaceuticals "Mag-Tab SR" A white plastic bottle of 100 yellow caplets for about $22 at Wallyworld.
(Most stores can get it In in a day. Some have it in-stock.)

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Walmart doesn't carry it and says that can't get Mag-Tab SR. I have asked 2 different stores in my area. What a drag!!!! I think that's the best. Just my opinion though. [Smile]

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about malate?
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I had all the different Magnesiums there were and my LLMD told me to get Magnesium Glycinate which I didn't have.

He only uses a handful of supplements and this was one of them.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I needed some I ask the pharmacist, he said they ALL use oxide,,,so much for HIS info.

Thanks for this thread,,,most informative.

I was wondering why my twitchies came back,,,now I know!!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nyjohn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyjohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my llmd has me on mag malate and mag cream

--------------------
do your best to educate the rest because
9 out of 10 doctors don't know jack about tick borne illnesses

Posts: 437 | From shawangunk mountains, ny | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy KAL Magnesium Glycinate. It cost about $25 for 90 pills, but it seems to be working fine....

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I am using the wrong kind I think. I use Magnesium Citrate, approx 800 mg total, on a daily basis along with calcium tabs, all with meals.

After reading this, I should switch to Glycinate.

Excellent post, Lymetoo.

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Natural Vitality's Natural Calm is magnesium citrate. It works well. You have to prepare it

as a tea and it does have natural flavor and stevia if you do not like it plain.

I buy the plain one and add a few drops of lemon oil and raw honey to make a nice lemonade.

Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get KAL much cheaper at Vitamin Shoppe http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=KA-1549

or from this site: http://store.agoodvitamin.com/kalmagl4090t.html

If you are going to pay that much you can by Pure encapsulations, which is way better (no fillers)180 capsules for $22.40 from Nutri Pharma, (212) 983-8291.

Nutri Pharma has good prices, carries the best brands and will give you expert advice on products. No website, you call in your order and they give you excellent service, flat rate shipping of I think $4.95. Order arrives the next day.

This site has good prices on supplements and good service:

http://store.agoodvitamin.com/ If you order Pure Encapsulations, Douglas labs, Metagenics, Vital

Nutrients, Apex Energetics, or Designs for Health and type in SALE in the coupon box you get 20% off.

Here is another good site. Carries only first tier brands. The guy is knowledgeable about the products he sells. http://www.myhealth-store.com/

Sometimes delivery can be a bit slow but I think they have gotten better of late.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as I remember (there's a chart somewhere) glycinate, citrate, and chloride and maybe some others are useful to somewhat varying degrees but Mg oxide is almost not absorbed at all...and that's the cheap grocery store one.

Don't take magnesium (or any metal supplements) within several hours of doxy or tetracycline, it interferes with the abx. (don't know about mino but I'd assume it'd wipe that one out too.)

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Citrate works too!

Mistake, I meant Chloride. It tastes awful though. I am going to try what Marnie sugested and do a 50/50 dilution of mag chloride and water and try it on my skin.

[ 05-06-2009, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: feelfit ]

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leelee:

Can anyone recommend a reputable source for supplements that I can order from? [/QB]

Vitamin Shoppe or Vitacost. I like Vitacost.

Someone mentioned WalMart .. Don't buy stuff there unless you really trust what CHINA puts in their supplements!!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats good to know Lymetoo. I was actually using oxide because i found a liquid pill (which with my digestive i thought would be better)

I like Vitacost too. You can choose a flat rate of $4.99 no matter how much you order. And they have a huge selection of stuff - from supplements to cleaners to even foods, including some low carb and gluten free.. and even some pet supplements. [Smile]

The vitamin shoppe is ok too but doesnt have as big of a selection. Most the time if you spend so much you can get free shipping.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO.

MgCl is needed. IV doses...in a perfect world.

We need to make use of the chloride channel Bb is triggering.

And send in the "de-icer" MgCl, instead of NaCl and/or CaCl.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Marnie:
[QB] NO.

Which question are you answering? [confused]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you get mag chloride? I found magnesium hydrochloride is common in Europe, but not here.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Walmart" magnesium is the actual Niche brand Lymetoo. The same stuff Dr B recommends. He even says you can get it at Walmart in his guidelines.

I wouldn't buy just any supplements there. [Smile]

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileygirl
Member # 19658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Slow-Mag - it is Magnesium Chloride

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=17380&catid=9322

Posts: 77 | From MD | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U can get MgCl in pill form and liquid form...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly, we just finished the 'wrong' kind of Mag and went out today to the health food store and got some mag glycinate! [Big Grin]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrutty
Member # 20060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrutty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My figuring on the malate (magnesium & malic acid) is that malic acid lowers the intracellular ph, excreting excess acid through the urine.

This allows the magnesium longer to hang out, bonding with the cells for better absorption.

Posts: 22 | From Tampa, FL | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo- The particular Mg caplets I mentioned ARE avail thru WalMart but are NOT from China. Good ol' USA. [Wink] Niche Pharmaceuticals is out of Texas. (Dr. B likes 'em!)

orrn- 1st time I've heard ANY W-M say they can't get Niche. I think that person was just confused/lazy. SKU: 7 36765 42017 2

BTW, I Was recommended the glycinate by my LLND.
I just bought the Mag-Tabs after reading the 2005 Guidelines...& found they helped. Think I'll give the other kind a try when I refill.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take magnesium chloride, citrate, and glycinate.

I think I got them all at vitacost.

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my husband came back with some of that Calm stuff that you mix with hot water. Today is day 2 and I can definitely notice a difference. I'm happy!

--------------------

Posts: 418 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jasmin:
Well, my husband came back with some of that Calm stuff that you mix with hot water. Today is day 2 and I can definitely notice a difference. I'm happy!

Be careful with that stuff, you mix too much in you will have a major laxative effect, when I first got it, a dolloped a few spoon fulls not reading the instructions and was on the hopper half the day.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by 'Kete-tracker:
[QB] Lymetoo- The particular Mg caplets I mentioned ARE avail thru WalMart but are NOT from China. Good ol' USA. [Wink] Niche Pharmaceuticals is out of Texas. (Dr. B likes 'em!)

Well, if it's from TEXAS, then I KNOW it would be good!! [Big Grin]

Thanks to orrn too for that information!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

That CAlm stuff if ok unless you have acid reflux!!! I hated it and took it back.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium Chloride can be purchased at Vitacost. It is liquid and costs about 7.00 for 8oz the brand is NutriCology.

It needs to be refrigerated afer opening and tastes NASTY...but it is supposed to be the most absorbable form.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn,

I just bought Solgar's Highly Absorbable Magnesium Citrate at Vitamin Shoppe @ $25.

So, now I'm guessing this is not effective? Arrgh!

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

It's not ineffective, just not as well absorbed as mag glycinate.
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie is SOOO right - IV will have a more significant impact. If you're low in magnesium, orals just won't get you back to where you need to be. Your body can't absorb that much at once, and it doesn't get into your cells.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

quote:
Originally posted by lymeinhell:
Your body can't absorb that much at once, and it doesn't get into your cells.

What if you take it all day? Like we have time for that...but would that be best if you can't get an IV?

--------------------

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

IM mag sulfate shots work way better than oral and I found it to be better than IV for me. But I think the type of mag Marnie is talking about is something different entirely.

I take both IM and oral magnesium.

jrutty
Member # 20060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrutty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gemofnj - Pick up a cheap bottle malic acid to take with it, then you've got magnesium malate.
Posts: 22 | From Tampa, FL | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
j, thanks for the tip!
Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement