LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My 1st LLMD visit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My 1st LLMD visit
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello fellow lymies. I just wanted to share what happened at my first visit with my new LLMD.

However, I am editing this post as there is some new rule that says I cannot share my treatment protocol or any of what was said at this visit.

I'm not looking for trouble - just trying to help others. In no way do I want the doc in trouble.

I believe that I can tell you that I have a 25 year history of lyme and co. and am being treated for lyme, babs and bart with both antibiotics and supplements.

But, you may e-mail me if you are considering seeing a doc in the NYC and would like more information.

opus2828 at aol

[ 05-08-2009, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: opus2828 ]

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AthinLyne
Member # 17626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AthinLyne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, please, please be careful with his name. I would hate for someone to use his treatment protocol against him. Good luck.
Posts: 28 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I know, it sounds spot-on to me for Babs. I'd like to know why he thinks CoQ10 with Mepron though. I though they interacted.

Maybe I should go look that up again.

I don't know about Rifampin with Mepron either. Maybe someone else will. I know Rifampin interacts with just about everything. [Roll Eyes]

Incidentally, you just posted who you were going to see recently, so not posting it in this thread wouldn't really afford him any protection from someone who really wanted to know.

At least you didn't use his Name or City.

I just checked on the Rifampin interaction and found this on Rxlist:

Rifampin: Coadministration of rifampin and MEPRON Suspension results in a significant decrease in average steady-state plasma atovaquone concentrations (see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY: Drug Interactions).

Did he recommend increasing the dose of the Mepron when you add the Rifampin? You might want to inquire about that.

Make sure you take the Mepron with a fatty meal so you'll absorb it. Be prepared to spend several weeks having a hard time staying out of bed AND make sure you keep some clean dry clothing changes near your bed for when you wake up drenched.

At least that was my experience when I first started treating Babs. It did help immensely though. [Big Grin]

I hope you're feeling much better soon.

hugs & prayers,
[group hug]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opus...your private mail box is full.

I was asking who you saw in NYC as I live here and wonder why you did not choose to see an LLMD in Westchester or Ct.

Peace, Love and Wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivy
Member # 18365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ivy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opus -

I have been looking for why I have had SOB and heart palpitations when climbing stairs or walking/biking uphill-- for 2 years!!

No doctor has been able to tell me what you just wrote about.

I have not been treated for Babesia yet since my doctors were not thinking that I had it.

Thank you for your post. I am going to bring up Babesia at my next weeks appointment.

I wish you the best with your new LLMD.

Ivy

Posts: 74 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good Opus! I think I know who your doc is and have heard great things about him!
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All sounds good.

Did he say WHY he believes in pulsing the mepron?

I have seen one other doc do this, but no one has ever been ever able to explain why?

Good luck.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JRW, I think many of the CT LLMDs are marginal at best despite opinions to the contrary...

It's not uncommon for CT patients to venture out of state...

I hope the new legislation attracts some willing and able LLMDs in CT...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds great. i am also curious about the mepron and CoQ10 issue as well as taking rifampin and mepron together -- i thought both were contraindicated.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though Mepron and Rifampin do have an interaction, some LLMD's do still use them together and see apparent success.

I spoke with one of my previous LLMD's about this. He didn't know the extent of the interaction until I showed him the data, but, he said that since I was concerned he wouldn't combine them in me..

...but that just so I knew he had used them together and seen success, so it's just a matter of balancing how important it is to you to be able to take both at once, etc. My guess would be it varies person to person, on if you are a good absorber of Mepron to begin with or not.

He also told me you could just increase the Mepron dose if you are worried.

Just repeating vaguely what he said in case anyone wanted one doc's take on it.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having mailbox problems so if you want to e-mail me you can do so at opus2828 and that would be at aol.

I will have to ask about the mepron/rifampin together thing.

I am not going to be starting the rifampin until after one month of the mepron/zith combo.

I went to pick up my zithromax today and almost fainted. I simply, cannot afford the brand name stuff.

CVS is going to talk to my doc and see if he'll agree to the generic. Otherwise, it would cost me $80 every 3 days! OMG!

I have not had luck with CT LLMD's. I have seen 2 of them and neither treated nutritionally as well as with antibiotics.

I have come to believe that to beat this, nutrition counts.

Also, neither was willing to do IV.

I may be going on IV after a few months of this oral protocol to deal with the co-infections.

My new LLMD does a lot of IV therapy and he was open to the possibility that I didn't want a PICC line.

He said I would have to drive to the infusion center everyday and they could do it with a butterfly needle.

So, e-mail me if you need more info or have any questions or things you think I should question.

Thanks so much!

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would a doc require brand zith?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you Opus!!

It sounds like the appointment went really well and you have a solid plan of action.

I hope that you start seeing improvement soon, that's great =)

Take care,

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People you have got to stop writing details of your LLMD appointments.

Unless you get permission I don't think the LLMD wants what was said or prescribed protocals out-there.

Believe me...I happened to talk to someone on the phone who wasn't discreet & somehow someone who I never communicated with said my LLMD was furious I was writing it on a public forum.

Thank God, my LLMD knew the person I had talked to & understood it wasn't me just a misunderstanding.

locations give great indication of who you're seeing.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i aagree with dmc-this is worrisome

our problems of finding and keeping good llmds are serious and may be getting worse soon-regardless of the ct bill

i really think you guys should get in touch with each other on private emails

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

I edited my post some but it's doubtful anyone will know who I went to see.

There were at least 6 LLMD's within the the same area on the list I chose this one from.

This one yesterday, knew all of the others!

I know others who have seen this one and all of our protocols are very different.

I'm sharing this protocol with you all to get feedback and just put some ideas out there.

Brand name Zith works better than the generic? Is this true? I certainly hope not. If anyone knows anything about this, let me know.

ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I find this site very confusing....it is suppose to be a tool for helping people with Lyme but yet there are so many "restrictions" on what topics can be discussed. In this particular thread it is stated that we should not be discussing our LLMD visits or treatment protocols and on another thread people have taken issue with the discussion of LLMD fees.

If we are not suppose to discuss and/or ask questions about anything related to our treatment and doctors, then what is the point?
I understand completely about not mentioning specific LLMD names on posts, but in my opinion some people on this site seem to be taking this "secrecy" code a little too far.

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
opus,

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/80948 from MODERATOR LOU BACHMAN JUST POSTED!!!

[ 05-08-2009, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

It's been edited and all who wish to e-mail me may do.

I certainly wish someone would fix my PM. Perhaps someone can tell me what to do about that.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement