LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Meal ideas for yeast/lyme diet -- what the heck to people eat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meal ideas for yeast/lyme diet -- what the heck to people eat?
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimwg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aware of the problems that can arise with yeasties while taking antibiotics, I have reduced my consumption of carbohydrates - especially sugar and white flour - and upped the whole grains and such. I have taken these as guidelines rather than following it strictly.

However, the yeasties have won (and are rearing their ugly metaphorical heads in an obvious way in a "special" area of my body - I shall not say more). While I have some skepticism about certain aspects of anti-yeast diets, I'm willing to follow it more strictly to prevent a repeat performance.

However, while I have *plenty* of lists of allowed and prohibited foods (there are many helpful threads on Lyme net for these lists), I have no idea how to put these things together into an acceptable meal. Seriously. What the heck to people eat?

If you are following a yeast diet, can you please tell me what your typical/favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner, and/or snack is?

Somehow, eating just eggs for breakfast without toast is weird for me. I semi gave up today because I had no effing clue how to put this stuff together into a meal!

Thanks ahead of time!
Kim [confused]

--------------------
Wildlife biologist working in tropics since 1997; tick bites in Nicaragua in March 2007, started getting sick May 2007; diagnosed with Lyme based on serological testing in Jan 2009; treatment starting Feb 2009. Wish me luck!

Posts: 116 | From Seattle | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimwg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I just did a search and found this very useful thread...
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/80283#000014

But anyone else out there who has a favorite meal suggestion, I'd still love to hear it!

--------------------
Wildlife biologist working in tropics since 1997; tick bites in Nicaragua in March 2007, started getting sick May 2007; diagnosed with Lyme based on serological testing in Jan 2009; treatment starting Feb 2009. Wish me luck!

Posts: 116 | From Seattle | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit that breakfast is my hardest meal to deal with.

I can have yogurt, but that doesn't fill me.

I eat at 6:00 and don't get lunch till 11:30.

With my blood sugar running low, I have to do many frequent small snacks.

I like nuts, pepperoni's, piece of ham or string cheese.

For breakfast though, I cheat and eat a bowl of cereal like Cheerios.

Not the worst I could do though.

Lunch and dinner are easy for me.

Meats and veggies.

It's the snacking stuff that I have to watch out for.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Breakfast is my biggest challenge, too!

What are the opinions folks have on something like whole (not quick cooking, but steel cut) oatmeal, or a brown rice porridge, as breakfast options.

On the other thread I link to, Metallic Blue mentions sweet potatoes as a food. Are these OK? I would have guessed not, because they are, you know, sweet. But if they are OK in moderation, a baked sweet potato would also be a good breakfast.

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have eaten smoothies for breakfast. Whey protein powder, water, and a low sugar fruit (berries). Blended.

I think oats are okay, but if you have an active yeast infection, I'd probably stay away from them until it's cleared up .... eat them once you're not infected anymore on a maintenance diet.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Yes, a baked sweet potato could also be a good breakfast - however, just about 1/3 of it and NOT ALONE. It's essential to have protein and also green vegetables. Chard or kale are good for breakfast but, this time of year, asparagus would be great. Broccoli is always good for any meal.

Your good fats are essential to help with glucose stability, too. If you take your fish oil in the morning, your good to go. Otherwise, you need some fat with breakfast. A few macadamia nuts or walnuts will do, or put a little coconut oil on the sweet potato.

And . . . it would be best to first eat your protein and greens. As the sweet potato will signal blood glucose to rise if eaten first. If candida is at full-force, it may be best to avoid starchy veggies until under control, though.

Whole grains like Quinoa are still excellent. Quinoa has a good (protein) amino-acid content so will help carry you through and it is low glycemic.

---------

I just had for a nice Sunday breakfast, left-overs from last night: steamed kale, carrots ( sauteed with onion and garlic - and fresh rosemary and thyme) portabella mushroom and 1/3 of a pork chop (organically raised).

Toped it off a bit later with green chai tea and an apple.

I have not eaten an American "breakfast" for nearly 15 years. The idea of sugar and simple carbs never worked for me, any way.

Now, every meal is interchangeable. Eggs often start the day but they don't have to as, sometimes, it's chicken soup. I ask my body what it needs. And, if I have leftovers from dinner, that is so much better as, I admit, sometimes it is just protein powder until I get energy enough to fix food.

Making food in large amounts is the only way I can manage to conserve energy. But, if you have your veggies in plastic bins in the fridge, you can just pull from that.

--

A lyme "diet" is best not thought of as a diet. It should be a joyous way to enjoy fabulous food, a conscious effort to eat good food that nourishes our cells. That can be both healthful and even gourmet fare.

It need not be punishing at all.

--

Some cookbooks from Amazon:

The Cure is in the Kitchen

A Spoonful of Ginger

The Mediterranean Diet (Cloutier)

others for flavors from India, etc.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was my breakfast for the year I was on high-dose combination antibiotic therapy:

http://bodyecology.com/recipes/porridge.php

It is a recipe for quinoa porridge. I made enough for 4 days in a row, put it in small containers, and microwaved a serving every day.

It is filling and tastes good.

Stevia for sweetener. Buy the ingredients in a health food store.

[ 05-11-2009, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: TF ]

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do the oatmeal cooked in water w/o the dairy. I mix organic berries, walnuts and cinnamon. It Tastes great and holds me over for a long time.

Also do plain Stoneyfield Farm yogurt, mixed organic berries, walnuts, and cinnamon.

Eggs and rice or millet bread for a change up.

---------------------------------
Lunch

Salad greens, mixed with beans,mixed veggies, goat cheese, sunflower seeds.

Tuna plate with greens, tomato,slivered carrots, olives.

Hummus and your choice of raw veggies.

Gazpacho is excellent!!! and filling

Tabouli is great with gluten free pita bread
----------------------------------------------
Dinner

Lean meats,Fish, Chicken, veggies
sweet potatoes
brown rice

I love to do my brown rice with lemon squeezed in it, a dollop of plain yogurt, chopped tomato, parsley, pressed fresh garlic....yummy! and very greek tasting.

Just a few hints. I also keep a cold mixed bean salad in the fridge...navy beans, black beans, whatever, fresh squeezed lemon, parsley, chopped onion, garlic, celery,carrot, olive oil. This is always a filling "go to" when I am too tired or lazy to prepare something else.

Nuts are excellent snacks

I have many more if you need more suggestions.

feelfit

[ 05-10-2009, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: feelfit ]

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem for me is this.

Now I am working again full time and not only having

To get myself and the children ready,

I don't have time to "make" breakfast.

Unless I want to get up at 4:00am....I don't.

If I thought I would actually eat what I made ahead of time,

I might do that. Problem is that breakfast is not my favorite meal.

If I didn't have sugar issues, I would probably skip it.

Of course this morning for Mother's Day, I was treated to I-HOP.

Yes I cheated. Crepe filled with strawberries and cream topping.

I don't care if I pay for the next week.

My goodness was that good.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here Geneal,

Breakfast Bleck! But because of hypoglycemia it is a must. Even as a kid I wanted liverwurst sandwich for breakfast, I could not stand anything sweet that early.

Glad that you had a nice Mothers Day breakfast and enjoyed yourself.....a little cheat once in awhile is GOOD!

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nikoru123
Member # 20278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nikoru123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For breakfast I eat instant 5 grain cereal and add dried organic shredded coconut, slivered raw almonds, and cinnamon. I also have an apple with it.
Posts: 11 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard1062
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1062     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also eat last night's dinner leftovers for breakfast. Yummy, easy, and never boring.
Posts: 228 | From Mass. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go take a look at the recipes at the Lymefriends low-carb recipes forum (most of them are super-simple because we're fatigued, too):
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

These are all great suggestions -- thanks! I will definitely try the breakfast porridge.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement