LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » yeast newbie -- scared

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: yeast newbie -- scared
Saskat
Member # 20273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saskat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, everyone,

I'm a new member here (as of about 10 min ago!). I started babesia treatment 3 weeks ago w/ zithromax. Likely also infected w/ lyme, bart, mycoplasma.

After only two weeks of treatment I got yeast!! I was taking 6-7 PB8 probiotics daily.

My symptoms include bloating, abdominal pain, gas, burning and itching in all nether regions, burning eyes and nose, popping ears, burning mouth, coated tongue, fatigue and neuropathy.

Prior to beginning abx, I actually felt pretty good, having done a lot in the way of diet and supplements.

I stopped my abx and am now on diflucan, to follow up with Nystatin. I use milk thistle and do the lemon/olive oil drink nightly.

I've started the anti-yeast diet, joy! But if it helps, so be it.

I'm really freaking out. How in the world do you stay on abx and control yeast??!!

I'll do plenty of searching here for tips, but I'm in need of any support or ideas anyone is able to offer.

Thank you!

[ 05-10-2009, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Saskat ]

Posts: 55 | From US | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimwg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saskat,

I *totally* feel your pain. As for the nether regions, in addition to the prescription antifungals, I have been adding some "natural" remedies. This site was the most informative was:
https://www.msu.edu/~eisthen/yeast/yourself.html

I'm struggling to get myself on the yeast diet, too. Ick, but better than what we are dealing with currently, I suppose.

--------------------
Wildlife biologist working in tropics since 1997; tick bites in Nicaragua in March 2007, started getting sick May 2007; diagnosed with Lyme based on serological testing in Jan 2009; treatment starting Feb 2009. Wish me luck!

Posts: 116 | From Seattle | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You said: " . . .lemon/olive oil drink nightly."

How much oil are you using with this each night? Too much is not a good thing for your liver or gallbladder to have to process out while you are sleeping. Just a little bit (about a teaspoon), okay, though.

The "recipe" for this varies widely out there. It can be too harsh if used in large amounts.

============

Going gluten-free is suggested for lyme patients. That, alone, also helps tremendously to avoid candida. And, I found that I don't think of this as a diet, but a healthy life style.

---

Olive leaf extract was a miracle for me - it totally prevented any candida when I was on abx. Although, I've only done 2 months abx as the longest time. I can't take abx for several reasons.

But, before, even looking at an abx and I'd turn into a huge candida farm. With the olive leaf extract, seriously, nothing. Of course, I still followed a no-sugar, moderate complex carb diet.

-

The type my ND recommended that worked so well for me was MYROLEA B. Most naturopathic doctors and acupuncturists know about the Seven Forest formulas.

==================

http://www.acuatlanta.net/myroleab-tablets-p-22018.html

Manufacturer: White Tiger

Name: Myrolea-B

Myrolea-B is also known as: Olive leaf extract with Chinese herbs

==================

http://chineseherbs.net/article_info-articles_id-2.html

===================

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/flu.htm

Myrolea-B (White Tiger) is a simple formulation of highly concentrated extracts from four Chinese herbs and one Western herb.

The Chinese herbs include forsythia and lonicera, two of the key ingredients of Ilex 15 (and the main antiviral ingredients of Yin Qiao Jie Du Pian), thus boosting the dosage of these essential ingredients.

Myrolea-B also contains the antiviral agents scute (huangqin) and terminalia (hezi). The Western herb in this formulation is olive leaf, which is one of the primary anti-viral herbs derived from the European tradition.

=================

A history of this formula:

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/shuang.htm

SHUANGHUANGLIAN: Potent Anti-Infection Combination of Lonicera, Forsythia, and Scute - by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., Director, Institute for Traditional Medicine - 2003

Shuanghuanglian (SHL for short) is a modern formula that was devised in the 1960s to treat a variety of infections. It is comprised of the alcohol-water extracts of three herbs: lonicera (shuanghua, often called jinyinhua), scute (huangqin), and forsythia (lianqiao). . . .

. . . One of the early preparations of the SHL was a tablet made of equal proportions of the extracts of each herb. This was used to treat leptospirosis, a disorder caused by a spirochete bacteria, related to the organism that causes Lyme disease.

Leptospirosis causes initial symptoms of fever and chills, headache, and muscle ache (especially in the shoulders); these are consistent with "flu-like" symptoms described for the onset of many acute infections.

In a 1971 report, the formula was described as being made in 500 mg tablets derived from 3.7 grams of the crude herbs, and being administered in doses of 10-15 tablets (thus, equivalent to the extract of 37-55 grams of herbs) every 6 hours (1), a very high dosage.

. . . Recently, Shuanghuanglian has been applied successfully to treatment of Coxsackie B3,

. . . The general indications for SHL . . . are "relieving the exterior syndrome, clearing away heat and toxic material," and its indications are "treatment of fever, cough, and sore throat that arise from wind-heat syndrome."

It is said to have "a good action in treating upper respiratory tract infection, tonsillitis, laryngopharyngitis, pneumonia, acute enteritis, viral dysentery, etc., when caused by virus or bacterial infection."

- full article at link above.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google these words:

Yeast coconut oil

It is avail. in a capsule form from Source Naturals.

Several per day for several days may help.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get some Nystatin and Diflucan, add more probiotics, avoid sugar!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/80948?

please read the above link and then DELETE THE DOSAGES of your meds from your 1st post; use my guidelines below on how to edit your post ok; [Smile] hug

all above have given you good advise on yeast.

Welcome; i'm so glad you found us!! You've come to the right place for education and support!

Dr. Burrascano's most recent "Diagnostic Hints and 2008 Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses" .

PAGES 17-19 discuss ADULT & KIDS MED TREATMENTS!

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/treatment_guidelines.html

Dr. B's Supplement List
http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

this link, making the most of your LLMD visit, may help you also.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=020605#000005

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77378

TREEPATROL'S NEWBIE LEARNING LINKS ... over 1000 links of good info and guidelines galore!! MUST SKIM & READ !!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/29917

Betty's suggested POSTING GUIDELINES . many of us have neuro lyme where we can NOT read long solid block text and be able to comprehend and read it as is.

please edit your post by CLICKING PAPER/PENCIL ICON to right of your name. that opens up BOTH subject line and body text.

now please break up your WORDY SENTENCES into one sentence paragraphs. Then hit ENTER KEY ``TWICE`` after each paragraph; we need that space for comprehension.

then go to left hand corner and mark box to receive ALL REPLIES, and click EDIT SEND

we thank you for helping us; [Wink] otherwise, we will SOB, SCROLL ON BY, since we can't read to help you. If I see posts like this, I SOB them; to hard on me.
------------------------------------------------------

People seeking doctors might be able to get help from their state online information and support group. Nearly 3,400 people belong to state groups. Some of the groups are small but more than 20 of them have 50 or more people and seven have over 100.

To find your state group, go to
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/statenamelyme

Type your state name and lyme as one word, like this -
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/newyorklyme

South Carolina is the only state that needs a hyphen between the statename
and lyme, e.g. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/southcarolina-lyme

The groups are moderated and you have to apply. Most don't allow doctor names, but once on the group, you can ask for doctors in a certain area and ask people to email you privately.

This explains the medical politics around lyme WHY you need an ILADS-educated or ILADS-member LLMD (and there are also some ILADS-member LL NDs (naturopathic doctors):

www.clinicaladvisor.com/Controversy-continues-to-fuel-the-Lyme-War/article/117160/

TESTING

You should also be evaluated for coinfections. Not all tests are great in that regard, either, but a good LLMD can evaluate you and then guide you in testing. One of the top labs is:

www.igenex.com IGENEX

-----
There are a couple other good labs for certain tests: Fry; Clognen; Focus. Your LLMD will know.
========================

VERY important to read - even BEFORE testing:

Dr C's Western Blot explanation is discussed here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042077

"With most infections, your immune system first forms IgM antibodies, then in about 2 to 4 weeks, you see IgG antibodies. In some infections, IgG antibodies may be detectable for years.

Because Borrelia burgdorferi is a chronic persistent infection that may last for decades, you would think patients with chronic symptoms would have positive IgG Western blots.

But actually, more IgM blots are positive in chronic borreliosis than IgG. Every time Borrelia burgdorferi reproduces itself, it may stimulate the immune system to form new IgM antibodies.

Some patients have both IgG and IgM blots positive. But if either the IgG or IgM blot is positive, overall it is a positive result.

Response to antibiotics is the same if either is positive, or both. Some antibodies against the borrelia are given more significance if they are IgG versus IgM, or vice versa.

Since this is a chronic persistent infection, this does not make a lot of sense to me. A newly formed Borrelia burgdorferi should have the same antigen parts as the previous bacteria that produced it.

But anyway, from my clinical experience, these borrelia associated bands usually predict a clinical change in symptoms with antibiotics, regardless of whether they are IgG or IgM."
===========

TREATMENT *** www.ilads.org

ILADS
The International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS) provides a forum for health science professionals to share their wealth of knowledge regarding the management of Lyme and associated diseases.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
diflucan.....

nystatin didn't work for me...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saskat
Member # 20273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saskat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Bettyg,

Duly noted re removing the dosage info.

I'm afraid I followed the link provided and am

still confused re how to do so.

Sorry to be high maintenance!

Posts: 55 | From US | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saskat
Member # 20273

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I completely freaked out w/ having such complications after only two weeks of abx.

I went gluten and dairy free last summer, and it made a huge difference. Inflammation down, more comfortable, good energy.

I use a tablespoon of oil for the lemon drink. Hm, too much perhaps?

Well, I'll be surfing around here and elsewhere trying to decide what to do for the yeast.

Thanks again!

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best probiotics are the kind that are in the refrigerated section and contain multiple strains of Acidophilis and bifidus. You might want to

find a better probiotic that contain millions vs. billions.

Here's an example and this product contains 30 million organisms: http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/probiotics_super8_en.htm

Lactobacillus acidophilus: 45%
Lactobacillus rhamnosus: 25%
Streptococcus thermophilus: 10%
Lactobacillus plantarum: 7%
Bifidobacterium bifidum: 6%
Bifidobacterium longum: 3%
Lactobacillus bulgaricus: 3%
Lactobacillus salivarius: 1%

There many other good brands.

If you do a search, there have been several threads on this topic lately.

Additionally, adding Saccharomyces boulardii will help greatly.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You can find Saccharomyces boulardii in Florastor.

see www.florastor.com

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saskat
Member # 20273

I figured out the edit feature and made the corrections.

Thanks for the heads up.

gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear S,

The key here is a 'combination' found in Dr. B's guidelines.

Probiotics ALONE will not keep yeast under control, especially if a carb free diet is not maintained. In case you didnt know, sugar FEEDS yeast, big time.

Step 1: DIET (low carb/low sugar/high protein diet

Step 2: Detox to slough off toxins by candida

Step 3: ANTIFUNGALS along with the probiotics can aid in controlling yeast.

Step 4: Oral hygiene-prevents reinfection

Herbal antifungals along with oral hygiene can be very effective if used before yeast gets out of control. Herbals, can be olive leaf, garlic, pau de arc, grapefruit seed extract or oregano, etc.

Personally, fungal defense by garden of life and Oregamax worked great in combination with good refrigerated probiotics and a low car diet. Add a little detox in and it accelerates the results.

Combine that with good oral hygiene, (ie brushing tongue every day, rinsing with a strong antiseptic mouthwash for 30 seconds-UH it burns, oh yea!, and dipping your brush in bleach and rinsing thoroughly after ever use) and you can hopefully keep yeast under control---Yeast actually starts on the tongue.

Detox can be in the form of steam/sauna, warm to hot baths, low impact exercise and/or detox products or methods as tolerated, to get rid of the candida toxins or die off.

There are tons of other additional yeast aid products. To name a few, kolerex, candicyn, candi gone, threelac, cuturelle and candex, etc.

But, with all that being said, some folks need still need prescription antifungals such as nystatin or diflucan in addition to the probiotics, diet and detox.

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on lose dose abx I've had virtually no yeast problems, but still plenty of herxing
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimwg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for controlling the Candida at the start -- i.e., with the oral hygiene -- anyone know if you can use something other than bleach for the toothbrush? Hydrogen peroxide, maybe?

(I'm trying to avoid bleach, an aquatic biologist I know really thinks chlorine is just the worst thing for aquatic ecosystems, so I've tried to eliminate using it in my house.)

--------------------
Wildlife biologist working in tropics since 1997; tick bites in Nicaragua in March 2007, started getting sick May 2007; diagnosed with Lyme based on serological testing in Jan 2009; treatment starting Feb 2009. Wish me luck!

Posts: 116 | From Seattle | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kim,

I'm not sure if they kill the same germs, but Clorox has a green line now.

http://www.greenworkscleaners.com/products/detail.php?id=nbc

Maybe you could read this product info and let us all know if it kills all the germs bleach does and is safe for the environment as well.

I wouldnt mind using a bleach alternative if it kills the same germs.

Thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard1062
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1062     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I missing something? Why can't you just dip the toothbrush in the mouthwash?

Is mouthwash bad for the aquatic environment?

Posts: 228 | From Mass. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Metagenics Ultra Flora -- 60 billion!

Kefir is good.

So is a clove of garlic inserted in the vagina. Leave it in overnight. or more.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For oral hygiene put grapefruit seed extract or oil of oregano on your tooth brush with your toothpaste and brush your teeth and tongue and use a tongue scraper. Then rinse with water and a few drops of

grapefruit seed extract or oil of oregano. You can also use a drop or two of tea tree oil in the same manner but be very careful not to swallow it.

When you mouth is completely rinsed, open some capsules of probiotics and let it dissolve on your tongue to replace the good flora.

If you don't change your diet to an anti yeast one it will be a continual problem while on abx.

For vaginal yeast you can insert capsules of acidophilus with some vitamin e to restore the natural flora for a few days.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DIET DIET DIET IS THE KEY.

And dump the PB8. Nearly worthless stuff. Go with Ultra Flora or esp THERAlac.

www.theralac.com

You can buy Ultra Flora at your health food store.

Candida Diet and Elimination:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you have finished Diflucan, you could get NSI's Candida Yeast Management [www.vitacost.com], which really is effective, even when you're on abx.

I also take probiotics, of course, and follow an anti-candida diet, though not as strictly as I once
did.

Hope you get relief,

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saskat
Member # 20273

Thanks so much, everyone! I got some oil of oregano from North America Herb & Spice and some Olive Leaf Extract from Herb Pharm. Both are oil w/ eyedroppers.

Is the only place to buy Theralac on their website?

I've also been running some hydrogen peroxide over my toothbrush (and then giving it a good rinse w/ water) before brushing my teeth, then emptying a PB8 on my tongue. Maybe PB8 can suffice for me in that regard. [Smile]

Have adopted the anti-candida diet. Not much fun, but some symptoms are improving. I still fail the spit test, but not as dramatically as before.

gemofnj
Member # 15551

uk carry,

This looks like a great product. My LLMD also suggested enzymes to aid in yeast contol.

I think I might give this a try in addition to my probiotics.

Thanks!! [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement