LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Facial Swelling and Under Neck Swelling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Facial Swelling and Under Neck Swelling
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the past couple of weeks my face has felt puffy and it seems there is some fluid under the skin. I can especially feel it when I wash my face.

My neck in profile looks like I have a quadruple chin it is so puffy.

Is this a symptom of Lyme, Barts or Babs or maybe a herx since I just started abx three weeks ago?

Has anyone else experienced this or have any opinions?

I am starting to get self-conscious about my appearance. I have always had a quite narrow, slender face. Now my facial features look distorted.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of this. I think you are weird!

[Eek!]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've said things like that before and before I could come back to say ...

I'M KIDDING!!!

The electric went off and I couldn't fix it!

Sooooooo.. I am posting this... then going to think about it and reply!

And to note- I'M KIDDING!!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

I've not heard of that combination before.

I've heard of fluid under the skin in other areas... so why not there?

I've known my own face and others to take on a shockingly different appearance.. seemingly just overnight.

MIGHT it be related to a facial nerve palsy? I don't know.

Mine has gone back to "normal me" after a while... but it is weird.

Wish I had some "scientific" explanations for you... but sorry I don't.

Other than you are just weird!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

The other thought is lymph nodes blocked that is not allowing the fluid to drain away.

These are total guesses... just something to consider. OK?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Snorkelqueen
Member # 20245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snorkelqueen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally get the puffy face thing. I have the same thing, only I have edema all over, except my puffy cheeks and puffy below the neck collar are the most obvious. It seems like a problem with the lymph drainage. I go to the Y to go into the steam room and the sauna, and that seems to help, as I sweat out a horrific ammonia odor, so I take lots of showers, and take four towels, so as to not offend others, although a friend told me that she smelled the ammonia. I do not eat much, so it is not not due to too much protein, but I did read that the smell could be due to the Lyme bacteria die-off effect. I go in and out of the saunas for up to three hours every day, and do feel much better afterwards, but then wake up the next day feeling awful again. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have been trying to get well since l974, and have been disabled since l992. I am so open to help, but the detoxing seems to be the mega problem.
Posts: 1 | From Michigan | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this problem as well! Most of my swelling is in the cheeks, not so much the neck. I'd like to know if this is a particular pathogen as well! Or if it's perhaps hormones, toxins, lymph backup...

I'll do ANYTHING to get rid of it. I suppose my 20 year old vain self is really showing through right now...haha...

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Tincup, you make me smile! [lol] I am definitely one of a kind!

It is interesting that you say your face changes appearance. That is what mine has been doing. My sister sort of gasped when she saw me on Saturday. Of course she apologized and said I just looked tired. But I know what she really saw.

Snorkle, I have never been to a sauna so I haven't experienced the smell thing, but my guess would be that toxins are being released through your pores. I believe your die-off theory is plausible.

Tincup, LittleLymie and Snorkle, your thoughts that this might be some sort of lymph node blockage is a good one. I hadn't thought of that before.

Thank you all for replying. [Smile]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blaze
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to read these...

'I'm allergic to modern living':
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-443717/Im-allergic-modern-living.html

The woman who needs a veil of protection from modern life:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-450995/The-woman-needs-veil-protection-modern-life.html

Mobile Phone Emissions Increase Worm Fertility:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1889-mobile-phone-emissions-increase-worm-fertility.html

Mystery in the Skin:
http://www.feb.se/ARTICLES/OlleJ.html

I believe exposure to EMF triggers movement of my bugs.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son gets this symptom on and off, and it seems to correlate with his symptoms. When he looks bloated his other symptoms are worse. He does not have localized swelling, it is more like what you describe, puffy. It is not a dramatic change, more like something you would notice only in yourself or somebody you see every day.

I have no idea what the root cause is, but the periods where it happens are happening less often as his treatment progresses.

Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

I was listening to country music the other night and that song by Donna Fargo (I think that is who it was) came on... and I thought of you.

"Funny face I love you, funny face I need you...."

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Tincup, you crack me up!

You should see me now....my eyes look so tiny in my big poofy face. I could get a job in a freak show! [spinning smile]

--------------------

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leelee - does your weight fluctuate when your face swells? If so, then it seems like edema is the problem.

I agree with snork - lymph drainage is possibly the problem.

I have the overall edema too. The ammonia can be lyme bacteria and also methylation issues. I take BH4 to help me detoxify ammonia and also do other things as related to my methylation issues in order to help keep ammonia down.

As far as the swelling causing a distorted face, it sure does. Distorts the body too. Not to brag but I used to be considered beautiful. Told by strangers even that I should be a model.

Gaining huge amounts of fluid took that all away and I had to learn to value myself for other things. Hopefully I'll get lyme and buddies under control before it takes everything away that I appreciate about myself. LOL

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Hi Terry,

I'm not sure if my weight goes up and down or not. I am too afraid to get on the scale. Some days my favorite pair of jeans fit fine and other days they are snug so maybe it is edema.

Up until last fall when I had my big "crash" I studied ballet. I was in the studio five days a week, two classes a day. It was the center of my life.

I used to be told I was elegant. I was meticulous about my appearance. My long blond hair was always pulled back perfectly, makeup "just so" and I dressed for each class like it was a dress rehearsal.

Now I have chopped off all my hair into the shortest cut imaginable and I live in sweat pants and tee shirts.

The Lyme took away my insides and then it took away my outside too. It has been quite a journey.

I miss my dancing so much that I dream about it sometimes. If I were to walk into the studio today people would stare. My face looks like it is full of jello.

--------------------

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leelee - so sorry to hear that you aren't able to dance for now. With treatment, that will hopefully change.

I'm surprised to find that I still need to mourn some of my losses that I thought I had let go of a long time ago. It is a on-going process it seems.

It helps so much to find other things that we can do and learn that can partially replace what we've lost. It is a growing experience. No pun intended. LOL

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Terry,

Thank you for your words of inspiration.

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snorkelqueen:
I totally get the puffy face thing. I have the same thing, only I have edema all over, except my puffy cheeks and puffy below the neck collar are the most obvious. It seems like a problem with the lymph drainage.

I go to the Y to go into the steam room and the sauna, and that seems to help, as I sweat out a horrific ammonia odor, so I take lots of showers, and take four towels, so as to not offend others, although a friend told me that she smelled the ammonia.

I do not eat much, so it is not not due to too much protein, but I did read that the smell could be due to the Lyme bacteria die-off effect.

I go in and out of the saunas for up to three hours every day, and do feel much better afterwards, but then wake up the next day feeling awful again.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have been trying to get well since l974, and have been disabled since l992. I am so open to help, but the detoxing seems to be the mega problem.

You should get your kidney function checked!
Have you told your doctor about this?

Here's some info I came across:

quote:
http://runningdoctor.runnersworld.com/2008/05/why-does-my-swe.html

What is ammonia and where does it come from?
Ammonia (chemical term is NH3) is a nitrogen breakdown product of amino acids in the body.

Amino acids are the building blocks to make proteins in the body.

If your body turn to breaking down amino acids for energy (instead of using carbohydrate and/or fat), the nitrogen atom is chemically stripped of the amino acid molecule (which is then converted to glucose fuel) and processes the nitrogen in the kidneys and forms urea for excretion.

If your kidneys cannot handle the load of urea, the nitrogen is excreted in your sweat as ammonia.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also found this on differentials for breath odor of amonia:

http://en.diagnosispro.com/differential_diagnosis-for/breath-odor-of-ammonia/40367-154.html

Could also possibly be indicative of a liver problem.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

LeeLee,

Are you on any other meds besides ABX?

Which ABX are you on?

[confused]

--------------------

Leelee
Member # 19112

quote:
Originally posted by AliG:
LeeLee,

Are you on any other meds besides ABX?

Which ABX are you on?

[confused]

I am on Dynacin only at the time. I will be adding Zithromax and a sulfa-drug this week if my LLMD still follows the plan he outlined for me. My second appointment is tomorrow.

I also take Lexapro for depression and Trazanone for sleeping and anxiety.

Do you think any of these could be causing my problem?

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Lee Leeeeeeee...

I was really worried for you.. having that big old puffy face and all....

So I spent the whole night looking for a boyfriend for you... someone who you could relate to and who would love you just the way you are.

And since you are such a fun-loving one... I know you probably love to dance.

So I told him all about you and then I filmed his reaction when I said you all would be going out this Friday night.

May you both be happy together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xAsYljBYI&feature=quicklist

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

You MAKE me do this!!!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leelee,

My daughter's face would do this when she first became very ill. It would be OK one day and the next her face would be puffy. We look at old pictures and can't belive it. This went away about 1 year into Lyme treatment. I do think it had to do with Lyme or coinfetions.

Tincup... You make me laugh. What a great way to start my day!

Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Oh my gosh, Tincup! I had to pick myself up off the floor and wipe the tears from my eyes before I could reply to your post. I was laughing so hard. [lol]

That dancing dough boy looks like he could be my twin! He has some good moves too! [Smile]

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

HA!

He IS funny!

Glad you weren't offended! And that you knew I was funnin' with ya.

But gotta love him, eh?

[lol]

It made me laugh too!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement