LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need help with mental clarity.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with mental clarity.
bernieb4
Member # 14654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bernieb4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

i'm in the middle of final exams right now, and my brain fog and lyme dyslexia/paraphasia and forgetfulness are as bad as usual.

anyone know of an herb that helped them with cognitive problems, mental clarity and short-term memory? i tried gingko biloba a year ago, but it didn't noticeably change anything.

Posts: 98 | From WI | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bernie, no experience; but up we go for afternoon members here having knowledge!! best wishes! [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bernieb4
Member # 14654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bernieb4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 98 | From WI | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a sublingual B12 after lunch in the afternoons when I start to get really foggy and drowsy. No idea why, but it does help me get through the rest of the work day. Not sure if it would work for anyone else either, but it was just a little benefit I stumbled across.
Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemme' know when you find something that works--I'm in exactly the same position (and all of my finals are early in the morning, too). GInko used to work for me, but then my disease progressed...

Well--I'm probably getting my SPECT within the next few days...hopefully it'll only show reversible stuff.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Other than B-12 and a good night's sleep and good food (salmon, greens, carrots and maybe a tiny bit of very dark chocolate), I would hesitate to start anything new in the middle of final's week.

Chocolate that is over 73% dark, after a meal can help. Best to stay below one ounce and not too late in the day.

Fish oil, too.

Be sure you get enough rest. Really.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Bernie,

I read over some of your past posts. Are you still taking Rhodiola?

Still, whatever the answer, please be sure not to take anything that promises to "boost" energy or brain power as that could cause other problems.

I know you had said on previous thread that you did not see effects from Rhodiola so you might try another adaptogen such as Ashwagandha, Cordyceps or Siberian Gingseng (this is not regular Ginseng and it's best to avoid that as it can create some jitters for lyme patients).

I would not really change this until after your finals. And, I know you are 21 and that after finals the party scene is huge. I hope you can celebrate with some carrot-ginger juice (and that might help before a test, too, but go easy on the ginger).

Good luck.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

GOTU KOLA is something you might consider after you've gotten through this week. I just don't suggest adding anything new right now - and sleep may be your best friend.

-------

Gotu Kola (not a cola) can calm the nervous system while also helping with alertness. It helps give a sense of well-being without feeling ``wired'' or ``hungover''.

Of everything I've used over the years, I cannot say enough good about the wonderful effects I've seen - in many ways - from Gotu Kola.

========

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Gotu Kola - 227 abstracts

Centella asiatica - 223 abstracts

Gotu Kola, startle - one

Gotu Kola, brain - 26 abstracts

Gotu Kola, cognitive - 8 abstracts

(#1: Protective antioxidant effect of Centella asiatica bioflavonoids on lead acetate induced neurotoxicity. )

================

http://tinyurl.com/3yr22g

J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2000 Dec;20(6):680-4.

A double-blind, placebo-controlled study on the effects of Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) on acoustic startle response in healthy subjects.

====================

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?page=LIST&ProdID=art799&search_in=articles

GOTU KOLA -- An Under-Appreciated Herb: Multifaceted Benefits on Microcirculation for Cardiovascular and Cognitive Health -- By Linda Fugate, PhD

The best nutrition in the world will not do anyone any good if it doesn't reach our tissues. The gatekeeper to tissues is the microcirculatory system, which includes blood vessels smaller than 0.1 mm in diameter. The health of the microcirculatory system is now recognized as critical to the total health of the individual. (1)

Gotu Kola's Effect on the Circulatory System . . .

From Wound Healing to Brain Health . . .

. . .

Conclusion

. . .

Gotu Kola's primary action is enhancement of the health of the circulatory system. Because circulation is critical to the health of the entire body, Gotu Kola offers benefits in a variety of conditions.

The antioxidant and collagen supportive functions of Gotu Kola are particularly important in enhancing healing of damaged tissues.

- Full article - and citations - at link above.

=========================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/gotu-kola-leaf-centella-asiatica.html

GOTU KOLA LEAF (Centella asiatica,)

WHAT IT DOES:

Gotu Kola is bitter and astringent in taste and cooling in action. It is a brain and memory tonic, and an anti-poison, and very useful for wound and skin healing.

. . .

TAM doctors use it as a brain and memory tonic, and have found it especially useful in children.

In Nepal, during the ceremony for the first day of spring, gotu kola leaf is given to schoolchildren to help them in their studies by improving memory and concentration.

It is very safe and extremely effective. TAM doctors also use it to cleanse the system of toxins and reduce inflammation. TCM doctors use gotu kola to clear up boils and toxic fevers. . .

The primary effects of gotu kola include both wound healing and improvement of mental clarity and emotional balance. . . .

Research Highlights

* Western scientists have focused on the herb's wound and skin healing effects.

Numerous studies from around the world have demonstrated its efficacy in treating keloids, leg ulcers, phlebitis, slow-healing wounds, leprosy, surgical lesions, cellulitis, burns, dermatitis, venous disorders, and even cirrhosis of the liver (Maquart et al., 1999; Shukla et al., 1999; Hausen, 1993; Cesarone et al., 1992).

These studies illustrate the plant's numerous stimulating effects on the healing processes of the skin and connective tissue.

* The Indian Central Council for Research on Ayurveda and Siddha, citing more than ten pharmacological and animal studies of gotu kola, also found evidence of the following characteristics: CNS depressant [calming without causing drowiness], memory enhancer, anti-convulsant, antispasmodic, behavior and intelligence enhancer, and blood sugar regulator (Pandley et al., eds, 1996).

- Full chapter at link above.

=======

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_1_12/ai_n27234590?tag=content;col1

Centella asiatica

Alternative Medicine Review, March, 2007

-=====

One of the solutions mentioned (by Tillotson) for calming is Seven Forests Acorus Tablets. A search will bring up sources and the ITM link in the article takes you right to a research article about that.

I have taken many of the things suggested and, while no longer a child and not (exactly) ADD, I have a very sensitive system and would be glad to share my experiences with certain things if that helps.

===========================

From: The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson, et.al.)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/attention-deficit-disorder.html

Attention Deficit Disorder

================

www.itmonline.org/arts/add.htm

Chinese Herbal Treatment for Attention Deficit Disorder

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a broad syndrome that may include hyperkinetic syndrome, hyperactivity, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

=====================

Acorus was mentioned in an link above as being calming. Here is more on that:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Acorus - 153 abstracts

Neuroprotective herbs - 35 abstracts

==================

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/neuro.htm

Neuroprotective Herbs and Active Constituents
Approaches to Preventing Degenerative Diseases

by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D.

-

Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if it's contradicted with lyme but you can google Phosphatidyl Choline and brain health.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Abxnomore:

Phosphatidyl Choline is something that many lyme patients say helps.

======

More about supplements, in general, for lyme patients:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

Four pages

=========

And, Bernie, can you get an acupuncture appointment during this week? That should help.

-

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always found that chewing gum or sucking on hard candy helped me focus better on tests.

Caffeine also helps temporarily but as always expect a crash. It would be good if you expected the test to only last for about an hour. Afterwards have some peanut butter crackers or something substantial to snack on to pick you back up.

And i'm assuming that you always eat breakfast, something with protein and complex carbs. That is a must. You cannot not skip meals during finals week. Your brain needs fuel.

Good luck and try not to stress too much:)

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always taken Phosphatidyl Choline but I know how we all have different reactions. IMO, it's one of the essentials for brain health.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avoid diet soda. The aspartame killed my brains during final exams.
Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had good luck with Alpha Lipoic Acid (500 mg. twice a day) and N-Acetyl L-Carnitine (twice a day). You have to take them both together. Give it about three weeks to start working.

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bernieb4
Member # 14654

i haven't taken rhodiola rosea for about a year - didn't notice any effect, for better or worse, when taking it.

i'll try gotu kola when exams are done.

i could count on one hand the number of diet sodas i've drunk in my life...it's disgusting and bad for you, so it's been is to say no...

alpha lipoic acid with acetyl l-carnitine is a pricy duo and i've read you have to take it for a few months to notice any significant effects (that goes for pretty much anything though, i suppose). i'll see how the gotu kola goes first. plus, i've read some people's posts who said it did nothing, but then others' who loved it. ain't that always the way.

carrot ginger juice sounds wonderful, but, unfortunately, alcohol has been my vice, my one true downfall in treating this disease and it will come up without doubt when exams finalize. i gave it up for months last year, and that was just depressing...it sucks being the guy not drinking with every group.

i tried provigil last year for energy and mental alertness - it made me jittery and gave me diarrhea..not desired.

i'll have to read about phosphatidyl choline next week.

i know all these herbs are just temporary or defensive fixes though. and i am certain that i need to kill this disease off with the right regimen of abx. it's just, i never notice any big improvements, and so i usually prefer to be 21 and drink.

i know i need to make a change, because i sleep 11-13 hours a day many days and still feel drowsy as ever..and i feel like abx worsen the fatigue.

thanks for the input guys. sorry my response is a random slur thoughts.

bernieb4
Member # 14654

soleil, is there any discernible difference between oral/pill B-12 and sublingual?

i take an organic multi-vitamin with loads of b-12 every day.

if there is a difference, where do i find sublingual b-12?

bb

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement