LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Called new LLMD $900 first visit!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Called new LLMD $900 first visit!
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not naming names but I called another LLMD and they wanted $900 for the first visit and $300 afterwards.

Also they dont take blue cross! They take etna, united health and others.

Whats the deal?

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CathyMary
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CathyMary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I thought my problems was finding one.

I probably have no chance with a state subsidized insurance.

Posts: 105 | From Mass | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

What's the deal?

Expert care requires careful attention. Each LLMD's office usually has an outline of what the costs cover. Ask for that.

But it's also important to consider the cost of operating an office - just their being there means they have to pay all sorts of bills, too. Often LLMDs have to be on their own in order to offer the necessary care (since the IDSA has cut out good care for lyme). Therefore, there is no medical group to share some of the operating costs as with many other doctors in the mainstream jungle.

Sometimes, the fee will cover an extensive appointment of several hours, review of records, patient education and, perhaps, some tests.

Compare the doctor's experience, his methods, his success rate and what is covered. You either determine it to be within your means or not - and, if so, ask at your local support group for others who have had success with this particular doctor.

All that will help determine if this may be a good fit or not.

Yes, that is a lot. Still, an expert in any other field of medicine will likely charge comparable fees for time and evaluation AND you still would not have someone with the experience and knowledge of a LLMD.

It's not so much that LLMD appointments are so high but that the patients and LLMDs are excluded from insurance benefits. You can thank the IDSA for that.

It's no news that most LLMDs do not take insurance because the insurance companies simply will not reimburse for the extended appointment times that are necessary.

There are a few LLMDs who do take some insurances and that LLMD seems to do so. It may well be that Blue Cross will not fairly reimburse LLMDs or that there is some other reason.

Call that LLMD's office manager and ask them why not Blue Cross. You will get a far more specific answer from them than from here as Blue Cross coverage can vary from region to region and even doctor to doctor.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
east and west coasts are the most expensive....

keebler did a great job of explaining things...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you ISDA.

Whats the point of having insurance if your sick and they wont see you?

Why not just exterminate us allready.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, i just got my appointments all screwed up and missed my lyme appointment.

cost -- 150 for missed appointment.

wow, and me on retirement income. that hurts. they called and reminded me but somehow it just didn't register...i mean right over my head. i said oh yeah fine, i've got it, but i marked it on the wrong month!!!

gads...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

wow randi. Im like that and Im a good 30 years from retirement.
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's actually quite a normal price for a first appointment. Keep in mind that first appts. are about 3-4 hours long and include all your blood testing and everything. Anywhere from $600-$1,200 for first appointments is common. You can usually submit to your insurance for out of network coverage and get atleast part of that reimbursed.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njgirl14
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njgirl14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you pm me with the name if they are in ny, pa, nj or ct? they take my ins WOW! and I have been to several llmds, and none took ins. i would be interested. thanks.
Posts: 262 | From nj | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CathyMary
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CathyMary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the rationale behind the high prices.

Let's not forget "liability insurance." It must be extremely high for these doctors.

I do blame the IDSA/CDC/Insurance Co/Politicians....

But we are a captive audience.

AND it still stinks regardless why...

I personally would like to see a little pro-bono work LOL

Posts: 105 | From Mass | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kept mine down by taking my recent labs and he

did not have to do those. While I am saving for the

next visit. I removed over 400. off the first

visit by having done this. Something that might help.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think those off insurance tend to treat more aggressively too.
Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is $950 for the first appt. BUT he does take Medicare; I've spent well over $1,000 on my first two visits but now that I just got Medicare, it's only $29.00 for a follow up. And he is very, very good.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gothbubbles
Member # 20280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gothbubbles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some types of insurance can be convinced to accept if you petition for exceptions.

I have state insurance (vermont- VHAP) so I have to request it because I just don't have the money, and all the MDs are out of state.

It's more than I make in a year for 1 appt, tests, and the first round of abx.

From what I understand it may take a little while to get them to pre-approve some of what I'd like done.

Maybe your insurance company has something like this that can be done?

I'm still looking for a dx.

--------------------
IGENEX DX Day Dec 2, 2009
IgM western blot: POSITIVE
18: +
**31: ++
**34: ++
**41: IND
58: +
**83-93: +

IgG western blot: Negative
**31: IND
**34: IND
**41: +

Antibody Titer B Burgdorferi G/M/A: Indeterminate
1:40 Titer

Posts: 20 | From Vermont | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am seeing more and more how broke the system is the longer i am in tx.

keebler makes a good point for the dr./lyme practitioner side. but, who makes a good point for the patients side/ our story??

my LLMD is not going to consider our premium of over $750/mo that we pay to HAVE ins. for our family in the first place.

hubby is "self employed" and i have been unable to work since last aug. my income loss is significant.

we pay for private coverage trying to do the right thing. not lying, not trying to use govt progams. etc.

then, when we DO have to really use this policy we start handing out $$ hand over fist all over again in january....$500 rx deductabile on each of us for "non-preferred"..ok so there is 1k in jan. for me and my son.

then $2500 ded/ per person for medical...ok...i met that by feb.

now having another surj that will still cost us about 600 and thats nearing ins finally paying 100%.

praying nobody gets any illness that would max our 5mil limit.

i found out recently our rx rider has limit of 5k for "brand only" prescriptions allowed per yr. so had to change mepron.

LLMD was confused when i told this at last appt aobut rx limit and cost of mepron $910 for 1 mo.

that + ins. premium+ deductable+co-ins+ all other rx's+ supplements

and now add in LLMD's going to cash only

thinking that rate of tx success chimes in with ability to obtain needed care for lyme and co for appropriate length of time....and the cost of being unable to do so....despite having insurance you pay through the nose for and even with "good" job....despite the loss of my income still have hubby's

there has to be a better solution. I understand the Dr's need to make profit. But, how can a pt. unable to work and barely function be the expense??

just fustrated i guess

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am Canadian so not only is there no hope of my new LLMD taking insurance but I have to pay in US dollars. And a 90 minute drive, a two hour ferry ride, then a two hour drive, hotels and so on, and all in USD. I will be bankrupt before I am healthy.
My new LLMD first visit is $550usd for the first time then $200 thereafter.

Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I am in the Boston area and may be able to help...send me a PM with your email and I'll get you started with some better docs...

[ 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Cold Feet ]

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement