LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » INSOMNIA from naltrexone lets see.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: INSOMNIA from naltrexone lets see.
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its 1st night of naltrexone lets see.

[ 05-19-2009, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: lymeHerx001 ]

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the side effects should fade- after a couple of weeks of bad sleep. No fun. After that it should stop disturbing you. My friends commented that I turned into a jerk while on the two weeks of bad sleep.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
took 1 mg last night didnt notice much.

Gonna try for the full 1.5 tonight.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeHerx,

Please keep us posted. One of my doctors wants me to try it to try to reduce the autoimmune attack against my thyroid.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some vivid dreams when I first started using it. I liked the dreams, but now they are gone.

I have had no other side effects.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I just took my full 1.5 mg last night. I did have some insomnia which is unusual, also after I took it I experienced a little fight or flight anxiety reaction.

Is that normal?

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

UP
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

definitelly didnt sleep well last night. And to think that the nutty LLMD wanted me on 3mg to start.

I know my body and how I react stronglly to meds now.

I think Im gonna take 1/2 the dose tonight.

MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was put on 4.5 mg as start dose. not good and was on narcotics.

pls make sure you are not on ANY other pain meds and LLMD knows all pain meds!!!

i ended up in ER, seizues, and with very ticked off body for next week!! didnt know could not be on opiods and LLMD should have IMO (and knew it was)

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

i think I responded to your thread, it didnt sound right.

no one wants to go to the ER~~~~~!!!!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

up
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

gonna go with .75 mg tonight.

I cant do insomnia!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Did .75 last night.

I slept alot better. I dont think it was because of the LDN, I also took a micro amount of Levaquin and that always tones things down.

In less pain today and more refreshed, belive it or not.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I have to go to the dreaded LLMD today to check in on my blood work. The same one that screamed at me.

Now my legs after working all day are killing me and I could die.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

up with legit thread.

Did .75 again last night, not to many problems.

I hoping this will work out. Im gonna take .75 for another week and then up it to a full 1.5 mg

Cant even imagine taking 50mg!!

Why doesnt the FDA approve this for insurace. Idiots

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, 50 mg is for something completely different, and those people have a messed up brain in a totally different way than us anyhow.

I get mine from McGuff Compounding Pharmacy by mail order, and it's about $30 for 30 pills of 3 mg: if that's significantly cheaper than what you're paying, have your doctor call in a prescription to them at 877 444 1133

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took my first dose last night about 1/2 hour before going to bed. I took 1.5 mg to start. I did sleep longer than usual, a little over 7 hours but other than that I haven't noticed anything different.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

your right, I payed about 28 with shipping included for 30 1.5 mg.

I think they said that hte 3 mg was 36$?

They are supposed to be one of the best places.

They are recomended by www.lowdosenaltrexone.org

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Congradulations TerryK, Its new for the 2 of us!

Have it be known that I am sensitive to most medications to start off with. Thats why I start with small amounts.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

UPDATE!

Still getting insomnia from .75 mg. I started last Thursday so this would make it my 4th day. I think its still new to my system.

Looking for a turnaround soon@

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an e-mail video from Mercola about how alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is good to take while you are taking LDN.

http://tinyurl.com/oex7x3

FYI -

What is Low Dose Naltrexone?

Naltrexone (generic name) is a pharmacologically active opioid antagonist, conventionally used to treat drug- and alcohol addiction - normally at doses of 50mg to 300mg. As such, it's been an FDA approved drug for over two decades.

However, researchers have found that at very low dosages (3 to 4.5 mg), naltrexone has immunomodulating properties that may be able to successfully treat cancer malignancies and a wide range of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis (MS), Parkinson's, fibromyalgia, and Crohn's disease, just to name a few.

As explained on the informative website www.lowdosenaltrexone.org, when you take LDN at bedtime -- which blocks your opioid receptors for a few hours in the middle of the night -- it is believed to up-regulate vital elements of your immune system by increasing your body's production of metenkephalin and endorphins (your natural opioids), hence improving immune function.

------

MY3BOYS- your doctor should have known better...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS - alpha lipoic acid (ALA) is strong stuff. Start out with a very small amount like 1/4 of a pill & work it up. A doctor told me this a long time ago.

I believe it can cross the blood brain barrier & chelate mercury.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Im thinking I should start to feel an increase in endorphins, no?
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD said we should consider LDN next visit (I had thought about it before).

BUT I get frequent migraines (at least twice per week, sometimes daily) and other pain, and MUST take low-dose Vicodin (2.5 mg) each time, along with other meds, or I can't get out of the migraine/other pain. Would this mean I can't take LDN, or is the dose low enough that it would still work?

And what benefits have people had so far? (Maybe it's too soon for you guys to notice benefits).

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Im not sure if it will work with the Vicodin.

I know for me opiates never worked which makes me weary of this drug.

I actually am seing an increase in depression and less pleasure.

I think that its lowering my endorphins and they and my brain is not compensating.

I hope I start compensating soon@!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

up
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asm amazed you get any reaction with such a low dose. The founder, Dr. Bahari was my doc. before finding out Lyme the cause of my "MS".

He had said anything lower than 2.0 doesn't do anything. Meaning doesn't block enough endorphines to promote the increase when the LDN wears of.

I see now that his LDN website is saying 1.75mg

Are you getting the fast release?

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/#What_dosage_and_frequency

The slow release may cause a mess up.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Im chemically sensitive and react to most medications at low dosages now.

I was never like this before Biaxin triggered my Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and vertigo.

Yes its fast release.

When I took 1.5 I had a huge increase in heart rate and dizzyness when it hit.

I wasnt sure how I would react.

Now its just giving me insomnia.

My body doesnt follow the rules.

D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do not actually have less Endorphins when using LDN. It blocks your brain from detecting them for maybe three hours. This causes your body to make more Endorphins than it would otherwise.

For some reason this boosts the immune response.

Increased depression could be the result of increased immune response. More immune response, more inflammation = more depression.

If you can quell the inflammation, the mood should change along with it.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

interesting
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

quote:
Originally posted by lymeHerx001:
interesting

thanks I keep taking it
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Took about 1mg last night?

Terrible insomnia, Im 2 days away from the week mark and still cant take 1.5 mg

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Im believing Maria, I wont post again untill another week.
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has been taking 4.5 mg for about 5 months now. He had disrupted sleep for about two weeks and then things settled down.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

thank-you
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm up to 2.5 mg. I take it right before I go to sleep. I've started waking up once during the night at about 2:30 AM. Sleep really well the rest of the night.

Prior to starting LDN I was waking up more often so this is good. I do notice that I have periods of irritability during the evening that I didn't have before. I also feel sleepy more often now.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

thats weird terry
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

well its been 13 days, so far no difference.

I am still at under 1mg slowlly titrating up to 1.5mg

[ 05-27-2009, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: lymeHerx001 ]

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

up
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

1.5 mg last night, still insomnia.

Sorry for the blog!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

went back to half a capsule of 1.5 mg.

Cant seem to take more then that. Im sensitive like most people on this board.

SeaLady
Member # 20467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SeaLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I have been on LDN for almost a year now, (I am so thrilled to see the word about LDN getting out) got my doc to write it for the Fibro, don't think it will help with my thyroid, I don't test for the common autoimmune antibodies.

I started off on 3.0 mg for first month and went right to the 4.5 mg the second month.

I don't sleep to begin with - sleeping pill every night - you name it, I have tried it, natural, prescription etc. I think maybe the tumor is preventing my body from making melatonin etc.

Anyway I didn't sleep at all on LDN even with my sleeping pill, so I reverted and took it in the morning.

The group does not advocate this, but in my case the choice was take or not take -

It took almost a month for me to be sure I was getting results and when I went to the full 4.5 WOW is all I can say!!

My pain dropped by at least 75% for soft tissue and hip joints - it had gotten to the point where I could not lie on my right side at all....

Please do not give up, I tried night dosing 2 more times and had to keep going back to AM dosing, BUT a month ago I tried again and I am taking at night now!!

Since I already have sleep problems and usually don't go to bed till 2:00 am.......I stay up until I am almost falling over and then lie down, take the LDN then and hopefully fall asleep.

If I don't fall asleep fairly quickly after taking the LDN, then I will be awake for the night, but I have lived with this all my life, even as a child.

Most people do not have this problem, or it goes away during the first weeks.....good luck.

I also am hoping it might help shrink the tumor on my Pituitary - new MRI done 2 weeks ago today, am on phone with doc office as I type wondering what my results are........brain or no brain???

Does anyone think when they look at the MRI if someone might notice or see some of the things Lyme can do in our heads, I read something about using MRI to check on changes in the brain......again must see if I have one anymore.

And last, but not least I have two docs here in Melbourne Fl area that write for LDN.

Skips pharmacy seems to be who many use, last summer they were 25.00 I think for a 30 day supply. I have used Gideons in NY - 15.00 for a 30 day supply, I order at least 3 mo's at a time and it is still only 5.00 for shipping. My local compounding charged me 45.00 unfortunately.

Posts: 8 | From USA, Melbourne Beach Fl | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have family who are benefiting from LDN.

I can not try it because you can not take it along with any narcotic pain killers and I am on sustained release every 8 hours.

I do have the idea in my hip pocket in case I find a way to get off the mscontin and then maybe I can use the LDN to help me as a kind of instead when my pain levels are down low enough.

THANKS for the information. I am glad to hear it helps so many . But it seems like not all as LymeHerx is having trouble tolerating it and I did not see any positive responses yet either.
Hopefully soon.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Thanks Sea Lady you can disregard my PM. You answered it here!

I might try AM dosing too.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

still having the dreaded insomnia, I cant take it much longer.
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

quote:
Originally posted by SeaLady:
Hi, I have been on LDN for almost a year now, (I am so thrilled to see the word about LDN getting out) got my doc to write it for the Fibro, don't think it will help with my thyroid, I don't test for the common autoimmune antibodies.

I started off on 3.0 mg for first month and went right to the 4.5 mg the second month.

I don't sleep to begin with - sleeping pill every night - you name it, I have tried it, natural, prescription etc. I think maybe the tumor is preventing my body from making melatonin etc.

Anyway I didn't sleep at all on LDN even with my sleeping pill, so I reverted and took it in the morning.

The group does not advocate this, but in my case the choice was take or not take -

It took almost a month for me to be sure I was getting results and when I went to the full 4.5 WOW is all I can say!!

My pain dropped by at least 75% for soft tissue and hip joints - it had gotten to the point where I could not lie on my right side at all....

Please do not give up, I tried night dosing 2 more times and had to keep going back to AM dosing, BUT a month ago I tried again and I am taking at night now!!

Since I already have sleep problems and usually don't go to bed till 2:00 am.......I stay up until I am almost falling over and then lie down, take the LDN then and hopefully fall asleep.

If I don't fall asleep fairly quickly after taking the LDN, then I will be awake for the night, but I have lived with this all my life, even as a child.

Most people do not have this problem, or it goes away during the first weeks.....good luck.

I also am hoping it might help shrink the tumor on my Pituitary - new MRI done 2 weeks ago today, am on phone with doc office as I type wondering what my results are........brain or no brain???

Does anyone think when they look at the MRI if someone might notice or see some of the things Lyme can do in our heads, I read something about using MRI to check on changes in the brain......again must see if I have one anymore.

And last, but not least I have two docs here in Melbourne Fl area that write for LDN.

Skips pharmacy seems to be who many use, last summer they were 25.00 I think for a 30 day supply. I have used Gideons in NY - 15.00 for a 30 day supply, I order at least 3 mo's at a time and it is still only 5.00 for shipping. My local compounding charged me 45.00 unfortunately.

I sleep like that too! I take pills untill I just fall down. Then I hope to get good sleep.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement