LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What is the best PICC line cover for showers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the best PICC line cover for showers?
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been hunting to find one. I got a Drypro PICC line cover with a pump for swimming. But it tore on the second use for a shower! (The company is replacing it, after a long, confusing chain of phone calls and emails).

But for everyday use for showers, this isn't practical. I bought an all-purpose PICC line/cast cover from Duane Reade (a local pharmacy chain), but it was humungous, and not practical either---it was big enough for an entire leg and foot (for an elephant!).

The saran wrap and tape thing doesn't work; I end up with water inside it (when I had a peripheral line). What have other people found workable?? It's too hard not to be able to take regular showers. Thank you.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is a PICC line cover exactly? [confused]
Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a "home made" remedy:

I have tried all the products out there and they didn't work at all.

I use Saran Wrap amd wrap it around my arm several times, I mean a good 10 times.

Then I take a plastic bag and cut it until it's straight.

I then wrap that around my arm then use massive amounts of tape.

It is best if you have someone to help you.

When I had my PICC I had no problems at all. Not even a single drop of water got in it.

It works great!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the kind that covers your whole arm like a huge plastic sleeve. It has elastic around the top to keep it up and then a blue foam wrap with velcro on one end. You wrap the blue foam around the elastic and part of your arm and velcro closed. It works perfect.

I can't remember the brand right now, but I'll try to find out. I think it's about $30 and well worth it. You can still only use one hand in the shower, but there are no worries about getting your dressing wet.

Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb133
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb133     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrap my daughters arm in equine vet tape..the colored wrap that only sticks to itself...you can get it at Petsmart or Petco but much cheaper on line. This is what she covers it with on a daily basis.

Then for showering I use the tape and then we use Glad Press and Seal. I usually wrap it twice.

Never had a problem with water. Its been 2 months.

Deb G

Posts: 499 | From Malta, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad press and seal -- it sticks to itself.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
take a cheap plastic garbage bag, open it, stick your hand it in, poke a hole in the unopened end, slide it over you arm and up around the picc line, then tape each end of the bag around your arm bada bing bada boom that's it, no water in. Use some flexible plastic tape if you can though it works best.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Press and seal,

It would make me nervous to swim with a PICC line.

Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fighter
Member # 20170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never tried swimming, but for showers this is what i did:

first i took a washcloth, folded it small and covered the actual site (over the tegaderm)

then, i covered with 5-6 rounds of Glad Press n Seal (took a while to learn how to do it to myself)

next, i taped down the 'seam' of the plastic as well as the top n bottom (where plastic meets skin)
**i used some kind of water-proof medical tape, i forget the name.
u can find it at most pharmacies, not expensive.
100% waterproof, flexible and doesn't HURT when u take it off!!

voila!

most of the time, no water got past the tape and plastic. but just in case, the washcloth was there to catch the drops of water.

obviously, if during the shower u see the washcloth getting drenched, stop n change it.
but that really shouldn't happen.

g'luck!

Posts: 34 | From Airmont NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get some vet gynecological gloves that go way up the shoulder. You can buy them at places like Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply very cheaply. I just stuck a rubbber band at the top around my arm and presto I was in business.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had a PICC line, I used the Mid-Arm Protector from Brown Medical https://www.brownmed.com/Products/StoreProductDetail29.cfm?StoreProductId=99

It worked well for me.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys, this is great! Plenty of ideas to work with.

Sammi, did the PICC line Protector you bought last long? It says 3-4 weeks, which could get expensive over the months.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rumigirl. If I remember correctly, it lasted much longer than four weeks. I used it quite a while ago, so I am not sure if it is exactly the same as the one I used.

You can also check out local pharmacies and hospital supply stores to see what they have.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor's office said nothing tops the Glad Press N Seal.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenith_Z
Member # 20368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zenith_Z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, What Hiker57 said works!

When my brother had a pic line he went on-line to a vet supply house and purchased a box of full arm sleeves they use for horse or cow whole arm exams or artificial insemination.

He said they worked just fine although nothing is "easy".

Posts: 4 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what a lot of great ideas!!

washrag and press and seal is one lots of pts have used to keep various things dry (dressings, wounds, staples, casts, etc)

vet glove is good idea

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Great ideas, everyone! One question: on the Glad Press 'n Seal, do you need to use tape on either end and also the seam? Or is it ok without tape?

I've tried a lot of other things that didn't work and leaked a lot eventually. The sleeve from Brown Medical worked for a while, but then leaked. And it's pretty expensive.

I'm nervous about using something that leaks, as it creates an emergency of sorts. My husband would have to come home from work and change the dressing.

Rumigirl

keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, I bought a Dry Pro thinking it would really work. Haven't tried it yet since my arm has been too sore. Now I'm a little worried.

Seems using pressnseal everday would be rather expensive also.

Anyone else tried the Dry Pro? And what was your experiences with it? I need a decent shower!

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Keltyl,

When I had the DryPro tear, I called the supply store, where I bought it, and they told me to call the company (which took a long

time to find!). They replaced it for free, as they should have. They said the place I bought it may have had it on the shelf for a very long time. The new one was a much stronger rubber, so I think it would last longer.

However, it's not completely easy to get on and off. Not impossible, just not easy.

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Well, I thought I had the problem solved very simply, when I tried Glad Press 'n Seal. It worked wonderfully!

Then, the second time I tried it, it leaked like crazy! Even though I had wrapped it around many times tightly with two pieces of it.

So, either I have to use the tape, or try something else, like the ob/gyn vet gloves.

It's hard to do some of this by yourself. Errrg!

beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad press and seal works great-but it's better if someone wraps it for you, to get a good seal. Can you shower when someone is home to help you?
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my DryPro PICC cover. Very good investment.

Their customer service is very friendly and helpful. I was having a difficult time deciding what size I needed to order and the rep on the phone walked me through the measuring, suggested the appropriate product and told me exactly how to trim it to fit.

It is much more durable than I expected it to be. It is also easy to use which is great because I need to be able to get it on and off all by myself.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonicbmx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonicbmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used a CVS shower sleeve.. inexpensive, durable and worked well.

simple to use.. easy on and off. simple to store, travels well and lasts long too.

go to cvs.com and search "shower sleeve".

direct link: http://tiny.cc/c0ZC0

hope this helps!
--
sonicbmx

--------------------
"The hell with Drs.. we have each other!"
My story began here:

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=16210
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=7833
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=6873

Posts: 127 | From Van Nuys, CA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement