LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What to look out for with Ports???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to look out for with Ports???
kreynolds
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15117

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

I have had my Port in for a month now and am curious about what problems arise with them.

Since this is my first Port, after 2 PICC lines I am new to it.

I haven't had any problems yet other than the fact that my home care nurse used a 1 inch needle and was way too long and was sticking out.

She now uses a 3/4 inch needle, but recently had noticed it was sticking out a little bit.

I have an incision in the Jugular which is covered by "sterry strips" and have yet to peel off.

Just curious about what to look out for if there is a problem!

Thanks Guys!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone???

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
roy,

member, TDTID, to dream the impossible dream, has a port and a CARING BRIDGE site.

she's told from day 1 what is happening with her port and meds; a really educational site for PORTS!

read her journey here roy; start at the END....oldest comments.

bookmark it for future use; she's been thru many bad times, etc. and discusses each as they come up and what was done, etc.

best wishes roy! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CathyMary
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CathyMary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom has has a port for eight years now, her's

was put in because of complications with her

veins and the need for IV rheumatoid arthritis

medication. Not sure if it is the same but.

The number one thing to look out for is infection.

This happened to my mom once, she ran a fever,

the port site was sore to the touch and also

became increasingly red at site (nurse drew

circle and by the time reach hospital the redness

grew larger).

Hers does not remain "accessed" all the time but

gets flushed once a month and used for medicine

once every eight weeks. This is different than

daily access, I'm sure.

Posts: 105 | From Mass | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!

bettyg, will check that out! Maybe I should keep a log of what has been going on...

Wait, it would be a horror story!LOL

[lol]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

bettyg
Unregistered

roy,

you could start a caring bridge posts too; just food for thought if you've got a large family/friends who are constantly asking you about what is going on.

this way once you get it up, send them a GROUP notice that it's up and to check there vs. emailing you privately.

food for thought only roy and katie! [Smile] xox

kreynolds
Member # 15117

Wow, great idea. I hate talking on the phone and it would save me many emails!

Thanks for the help bettyg! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kreynolds,

I don't get on Lymenet as much as I use to, but I'm here. I have a port and have been doing IV with it since Aug. 1 of last year.

I haven't had anything serious wrong with mine yet although they were concerned about an infection at one point.

The culture came back negative so they found that I was actually having trouble with the tegaderm.

So at this point, I have to keep changing the kinds of bandages on it since I must be developing allergies.

As far as what to look for....if it gets red or hot to the touch, they definitely the doctor will definitely want to know about it.

Hopefully you are having a nurse out to access it weekly so she will probably we watching it as well.

As far as the caring bridge site.... if you do decide to get one, do let us know what it is and we will come visit you.

I'm in touch with many lyme patients on Caring Bridge and it's a nice family for support and information.

I use mine to keep family and friends aware of my lyme journey (much like a blog) but have started using it also for awareness to those that still want to think that a tick bite is nothing to worry about.

Cathy
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/cathygk

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Cathy,

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I too have bad reactions to the adhesive on the tegaderm.

So far, I love it.... I don't feel like wires are hanging from my arms!

Yes I have a nurse come once a week to pull the needle out and access it.

Thanks again for your help and I will be looking into a caring bridge site!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kreynolds,

Glad to hear the port is working out well for you. I never had a picc line first, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I understand there are definite pro's to the port.

If you need any info on the CaringBridge site, feel free to drop me a line. It's actually pretty dummy proof if I can do it. [Smile]

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

roy,

glad cathy found your post and you 2 connected [Smile]

i left you a message on your NEW CARING BRIDGE SITE!! [Smile]

kreynolds
Member # 15117

Thanks tdtid and bettyg,

Yes it will be a great site!

I hope my family that lives in (NYC) will see what I am REALLY going through.....

Also it will be nice to connect with others and share advice! [woohoo]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement