LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » gallbladder is gonna come out, surj wend. and tips or suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gallbladder is gonna come out, surj wend. and tips or suggestions?
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gallbladder has made the decision for me. i tried to hold off, tried liver/gall supplements and actigall,. no luck-- after 3 wk of persistant pain time to have the surj

i see my pain dr mon. surj told me to quote "better get to your pain dr for post op plan for surj pain, I will not even touch what your on "....great.

took 4 phone calls to pain dr office to FINALLY get them to understand NOT wanting early refills, need to see dr for surj not reg. visit.

so, i am on rocphen the normal twice daily, 4 days/ wk. LLMD told me last visit needed the surj and just to cont with IV meds as normal when it do.

port a cath surj had me laid up for a week with pain, swelling, etc. pretty scared of how this is gonna go. did tell the surj when had port done and woke up every muscle in my body hurt/ was screaming and poor nurse just looked terrified, freaked out anesteiaologist and finally surj. came in with some of the good stuff.

plan on having my normal pain meds with me to take soon as leave the hosp. surj going in with plan for portal lap (1 incision) but told me may have to have 2 bc of having a small bellybutton.

so, any tips or suggestions??? seems like lots of folks on here have lost gallbladders

thanks in advance!!

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tif
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, this was the best surgery I have ever had. The post op pain was NOTHING compared to how sick I was before. The gas that they inflate your belly with was more painful for me than the actual area where they removed my gallbladder.

I did have to adjust my diet afterwards due to "dumping syndrome". I no longer have any issues with that.

--------------------
TL

Posts: 365 | From OK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear MY3BOYS,
I agree completely with Tif. I had my gallbladder out in 2003, when I was only 20 years-old. The misery prior to the surgery was much worse than afterward. As Tif mentioned, the gas was the only painful part. Getting up and walking around a little will help that come out.

Trust me, you have never been so happy to fart in your life! If you have the endoscopic surgery, they only go in through four small entry points. I was sore, but did not cry or take any pain pills. You do need to be careful about your fat intake after having the gallbladder removed, since you can still get stones in your bile duct.

Some foods I ate after surgery were: soup, low-fat lunchmeat, Jell-O, and fold-over peanut butter sandwiches with only 2 teaspoons of peanut butter. Crackers and tuna also seemed to be tolerated well. The first few days following the operation are the most difficult. My gallbladder was extremely irritated and nearly ruptured, despite tests showing nothing. The surgery came just in time!

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Candida Overgrowth (2006)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Gallbladder Disease (removed- 2003)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Ovarian Cysts (5 in less than 10 months - 2000)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had surgery last summer due to elevated pancreatic enzyme and low ejection fraction on the HIDA. No gallstones, minimal pain.

I am on oral abx, not IV, but did talk the surgeon into giving me IV antibiotics during surgery. I had to sneak most of my meds into the hospital because he had not ordered them and the nurses wouldn't give them to me - even my thyroid meds! They tell you not to bring your meds, but then he hadn't put in the official paperwork even though he knew I was on them. So make sure you have a back-up plan with a family member or someone to bring in things just in case.

Also, if you're gluten-free like me, watch what they give you. Hospitals tend not to understand gluten intolerance. But post-surgery, you'll basically be having ice chips, then eventually jello, etc.

The pain was almost nothing afterward - it is nothing compared to what we live with every day form tick-borne diseases!

One big thing: I insisted that they let me have a detailed consultation with my anesthesiologist because of prior history of allergic reactions to anesthesia.

Be sure to insist on no steroids. I didn't think that an anesthesiologist would normally mix steroids into the anesthesia, but when I asked him, he said they do often use it for inflammation or when there is a past history of allergic reactions. So I had him write NO STEROIDS on my chart. I lucked out, he was great, his dog has Lyme, so he was very sympathetic.

I did not get the dumping syndrome, despite knowing some people who did for a few months afterward. I ate very low-fat for a few weeks after surgery, but then could go back to my normal diet. I do notice that if I eat too much fat, I feel it in the same gallbladder area, so I have to be a little careful.

My surgeon showed me a photo of my gallbladder after surgery. It was extremely infected and scarred. He had never seen anything like it. I told him it had to be from tick-borne diseases because that's all I have.

If I could afforded a private room, I would have, because I had a roommmate that was horrible and prevented me from sleeping. However, my insurance wouldn't pay for that and I couldn't afford a private room.

My laparoscopic incisions now look like four big freckles on my abdomen. It's kind of like having your own connect-the-dots game on your tummy!

You'll do fine. Our thoughts will be with you!!

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my 3 boys,

print this off and give to your SURGEON & ANESTHIOLIST!!

SURGERY ELECTIVE TIPS FOR FIBRO/LYME PATIENTS!

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/7330

fyi, i had my gallbladder removed 30 yrs. last week; murphy's law hit as usual; anything that could go wrong, did including a collapsed lung and STAPH INFECTION which they wouldn't call surgeon since it was mother's day for his wife!!

my entire back was enflamed; my side, and running high fever. never again; i'll call hospital CEO OR ER DR. to come up and do something if drs. are NOT available!

now good luck; i don't mean to scare you; things just go wrong, and they were building 3 floors above my surgery floor; i was in for 10 days!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
easiest surgery i had. good luck!

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't too bad at all!

Good idea to prime the anaesthetist that you have Lyme and ask him to keep you well- hydrated.

Good luck,

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks to all, great info. and will read and print the link, many thanks

mine is supposed to be an outpatient only, go home just few hrs after surj---i honestly prefer that. for exacttly what jill said- i know i wont get my daily meds like i am used to and methadone is no punk!! cant just stop dosing without major issues.

thanks for info on post op diet issues. i have been eating mostly cereal or soup for last few wks now. staying away from fat except at night when i take malarone then i use a pop tart (yeah, i know prob not best choice but i ccan get my choc fix that way and little fat without having gallbladder attack)

my ultrasound showed "extensive stones and extensive sludge" and renal pelviculitis. so far no dr really knows what that is/means. means fluid backing up in my rt kidney and i do have pain there off/on.

i am running fevers daily 99-100 (my norm is 97 with tyroid support). just not sure if lyme related or gallbladder infected?? had ultrasound done april 17 or so. and changed lyme tx that next wk to hit bart with cipro and malarone/iv rocphin.

bart have you run daily fevers?? have to look at that one?? i break out in sweats that are drenching- few days even kept towel wiht me was so bad. for girly-girl this is just gross!!

very encouraging that most of yall say is not painful. i do have LOTS of daily pain from lyme. just knowing how painful an abdominal lap done yrs ago way (from the blowing up your belly with air) and the pain recently from port surj i am scared- ill admit it. (here anyway)

my mom and mother in law both have had life long prob left over from gallbladder surj. bad GI issues, food intolerances. has me knowing first hand how it can go- plus my carreer knowledge. hubby says i know to much!!

surj optomistic about low chance of residual problems like the moms since mine not infected (cross fingers on this one with fevers??) and no blocked ducts at this time or pancreatic enzyme elevations.

my liver and renal labs are getting out of whack. labs have been stable until now so it does make a point to do the surj before becomes an emergency and get stuck with whatever surj is there.

if we didnt have vaction in july i prob. would put it off. just not a big fan of hosp, surj. or any of that. nurses make the worst patients!!

and i did talk to surj. about the hydration factor, and i get dehydrated easy. he will run 1-2 full bags of saline for me...very happy with him on that. very suprised to be his 3rd patient wiht lyme

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I can't offer specifics as I have my gallbladder. However, I've been through a lot of surgeries (before I knew I had lyme) and some did not go well - or it took forever to get my energy back.

Wish I had known about some of this in advance.

--

The very instant you can after surgery, get excellent liver support to get the drugs out of you and to help protect your liver. Ask if there is anything you can take prior to surgery that will help protect your liver - but don't do this on your own as some stuff will interact with essential medicines.

Ask if you can get some IV glutathione in your IV right after surgery. IV magnesium, too, can help the liver and help decrease pain.

--------------

Above, Jill mentioned jello.

Be sure hospital jello does not have aspartame in it - or that you are served anything with aspartame. I wouldn't want food colorings, either.

If you have an organic food store nearby, you can have your food brought to you. You'll pay for it but you can be sure not to order from the hospital so that you don't pay for that, either.

Take your own toothpaste, etc. because the toothpaste at the hospital may have stuff in it that you don't want. Even a trace of aspartame can really mess up a lyme patient.

It can also be in cough drops and logenzes - so read all labels.

----

As Jill mentioned, NO STEROIDS -- more below about that.

but also "NO EPI" is on my chart- Epinephrine - is in some anesthetics used in dentistry (and, perhaps, also in general surgery). the Epinephrine can really mess up the nervous system and adrenals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephrine

Epinephrine

============

Now, some steroids may be required prior to, during or after surgery. Particular abx, then, would need to be in place. Best if your LLMD is on on all this as, with proper abx, this can work if steroids are required to reduce swelling.

================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano'sTreatment Guidelines (2008)

P. 4:

. . .

More severe illness also results from other causes of weakened defenses, such as from severe stress, immunosuppressant medications, and severe intercurrent illnesses.

This is why steroids and other immunosuppressive medications are absolutely contraindicated in Lyme. This also includes intraarticular steroids.

. . . .

From page 12:

Excerpt:

. . .

More evidence has accumulated indicating the severe detrimental effects of the concurrent use of immunosuppressants including steroids in the patient with active B. burgdorferi infection.

Never give steroids or any other immunosuppressant to any patient who may even remotely be suffering from Lyme, or serious, permanent damage may result, especially if given for anything greater than a short course.

If immunosuppressive therapy is absolutely necessary, then potent antibiotic treatment should begin at least 48 hours prior to the immunosuppressants.

. . . .

Page 20:

. . . and absolutely no immunosuppressants, even local doses of steroids (intra-articular injections, for example).

-

---------

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

When I had a couple surgeries long ago, the anethesiologist (sp?) agreed to tell me all sorts of not too yippy-skippy positive messages.

I learned medical hypnosis for myself long ago and while I could not talk myself out of having lyme, I still find that the positive messages and calm nature really do help.

---

Don't know if this would bother you but I'd need someone to put lip balm on my lips every five minutes as they get so dry they nearly break up. If you have your own you might take it.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Sorry for so many random thoughts. Just out of curiosity, can you ask them to have your gallbladder checked for porphyria?

It may be hard to check for all the different types but, perhaps, they could at least "check the porphyrin level" in the gallbladder tissue.

That might be a clue as to the trouble and, if so, it can help guide your options with particular drugs and specific support measures in the future.

More about all that here:

-------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=071168

Topic: PORPHYRIA LINKS - Re: Cytochrome P-450 liver detox pathway

-

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple more things...

Yes, the gas they pump you up with can be the most uncomfortable part as it slowly leaves the body. I knew this from a laparoscopic procedure years ago.

So I asked my surgeon to please de-gas me before he closed me up. He said he would. I haven't gotten the surgical notes so I don't know if he did. I could tell there was still plenty of air in me, but I didn't have the horrible shoulder pain like I had years ago with laparoscopic procedures when they leave all the air/gas inside.

Also, the hospital I went to has a vigilant MRSA-prevention program which I was happy to comply with. The night before the surgery and morning of it, I had to scrub down with antibacterial soap that they gave me. Then I had to wear clean cotton clothing that was freshly laundered.

You might ask if there is a similar protocol you can follow.

Good luck - you'll do great!!

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

This is about heart patients but, it can be good for any surgical patient. Hopefully, your hospital has some integrative techniques.

---------

http://tinyurl.com/qf66pq

Exp Gerontol. 2008 Apr 7. [Epub ahead of print]
Links

Targeting oxidative stress in surgery: Effects of ageing and therapy.

Pepe S, Leong JY, Merwe JV, Marasco SF, Hadj A, Lymbury R, Perkins A, Rosenfeldt FL.

CJOB Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Alfred Hospital, PO Box 315 Prahran, Melbourne VIC 318, Australia; Department of Surgery, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia; Baker Heart Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia Melbourne, Australia.

In the current era cardiac surgeons are being called upon to operate upon older, sicker patients. The effect is to augment oxidative stress and increase the rate of post-operative complications and ultimately mortality.

We have developed antioxidant-based pre-treatment regimes initially based on coenzyme Q(10).

A randomised trial of coenzyme Q(10) in elective cardiac surgery patients demonstrated augmented plasma and cardiac mitochondrial membrane coenzyme Q(10) content, improved mitochondrial respiration and increased myocardial tolerance of oxidative stress.

The addition of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, alpha-lipoic acid, selenium and magnesium orotate in a second clinical trial, improved post-operative recovery with demonstrable reductions in myocardial damage, rate of atrial fibrillation and length of hospital stay.

Finally we performed a pilot study of this combined metabolic therapy regimen to which we added preoperative physical exercise and mental stress reduction with indications of further improvements in post-operative recovery.

We conclude that simultaneously targeting a number of key deficiencies with a metabolic formulation prior to surgery results in peri- and post-operative clinical and economic benefits.

===============
===============

www.ImmuneSupport.com/library/print.cfm?ID=8592&t=CFIDS_FM

Recommendations for Persons with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (or Fibromyalgia) Who Are Anticipating Surgery

- by Dr. Charles W. Lapp, MD

Excerpts:

. . .

* Intracellular magnesium and potassium depletion has been reported in CFS. For this reason, serum magnesium and potassium levels should be checked pre-operatively and these minerals replenished if borderline or low.

Intracellular magnesium or potassium depletion could potentially lead to cardiac arrhythmias under anesthesia.

. . .

* Most CFS patients are also extremely sensitive to sedative medications - including benzodiazepines, antihistamines, and psychotropics - which should be used sparingly and in small doses until the patient's response can be assessed.

* Herbs and complementary and alternative therapies are frequently used by persons with CFS and FM. Patients should inform the anesthesiologist of any and all such therapies, and they are advised to withhold such treatments for at least a week prior to surgery, if possible.

(See list of what to avoid - at link - and - poster's note here, I'd also find out which ones are GOOD before surgery.)

. . . .

--

Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to be the naysayer, but here's a few points to ponder:

- did you search for the terms gall bladder or liver cleanse? You will many find many interesting points from folks that have been in similar situations.

- did any of your docs explain that some antbx will cause biliary sludge...particularly the ones you are taking? I don't get it -- your doc is an LLMD but did not explain this?!

- why not try the Hulda Clark liver cleanse several times, as it may prevent the need for surgery?

Surgery is a big deal, so I hope you consider other measures before making the leap...

[ 05-17-2009, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Cold Feet ]

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will need bile salts supplements esp. to "handle" high fat dinners...

They may also help in "unexpected" ways.

Posts: 9426 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sending you positive thoughts. I hope all goes well! [group hug]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, for ideas, suggestions, and personal experiences! [Smile] hugs...
lymeparfait
Unregistered

Do a search her on lymenet of older posts about gall stones, gall and liver clense and you will learn much about lyme and it's affects on those organs.

It seems that removing the gallbladdeer, although may be needed at this point, will not get rid of the problem that most likely caused it's problem in the first place. You will still get gall stones in your liver. YOu most likely also have parasites thata cause the stone formation.

Get a plan for cleansing either before or after it is removed.

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently told I needed to have my gallbladder out. Since changing meds though, it is not bothering me so I am putting it off.

IgeneX has a kit that can be used to test the gallbladder for Lyme after it is removed. I had them send me the kit. If I still need to have it out later, I am definitely going to have it tested.

I hope all goes well for you MY3BOYS.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please check out www.gallbladderattack.com for info on possible problems that can start months or years after surgery.

The surgery was easy. I did not need pain pills. It is nothing compared to the daily Lyme agony, and the latest technique that I had in 2007 involves only 3 tiny incisions.

However, there is a 40% chance of still being unable to digest fats, because, as my TCM doc warned me "a gallbladder problem is really a liver problem". I now have to take prescription enzymes for life in order to eat enough fat to stay alive.

Also, I disagree with Marnie on one thing. Please don't try bile salts unless you have problems eating after surgery. If you don't need them, they will cause unbelievable and potentially dangerous bowel problems.... I found this out the hard way.

If you do still have problems afterwards, start with only one tablet of bile salts until you see what they will do.

Some people make too much bile after this surgery, instead of too little. This is called bile reflux. I now have bile reflux and bile salts make it worse.

Bile reflux is very hard to manage and may require a rerouting surgery. I now have a precancer in my throat and a more advanced precancer in my stomach from the constant bile irritation. Sucralfate is the only drug that helps a bit.

You will most likely be part of the 60% of people who never have a problem again after GB removal, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared with knowledge, just in case.

Best of luck,
klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenith_Z
Member # 20368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zenith_Z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The surgery is pretty easy, just the three small holes.....as soon as you get woke up enough they send you home....make sure you have someone hang with you that evening/night as you are pretty woozy.....my mom came and stayed with me.

DON'T SNEEZE!!!!! I got up the next morning and thought hey, this doesn't feel too bad at all and then sneezed and it dropped me to my knees! My mom thought i'd fallen as she heard the thud...well I kinda did I guess.

The problem I have since surgery is that the pain it caused prior to surgery is still there although not as bad but it is the same type so even though it was a "bad" gallbladder, not totally convinced that is all that was/is wrong with me....
Also,I have had diareah every day since that surgery until I started taking pain meds. People are like don't they make you constipated and I'm like yeah, that's better than diareah 24/7.

good luck,

Posts: 4 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just my 2 cents... I would look into some alternatives before having an organ removed. If I recall correctly, one of your doctors OKed you to use LDN while you were taking opiods. Big mistake.

I would think twice before running to have an organ removed. I have had very bad liver & gall bladder pain. I know it's horrible but there are alternatives.

Some people have posted them here - so, I won't be redundant. If you have made up your mind - nothing I say will make you change your mind.

Some people seem to do well with no gall bladder but some regret it.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

I continue learning from folks' experiences; 30 yrs. of PROGRESS vs. what i went thru back then... [Smile]
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

thanks for all the replies and info!!

will have to look at that porphyria issue. i started to try to lookk into being able to send it to any research place for lyme-- let researcher get ahold of it if will help!! but, good intentions and no one wants it....was worth a shot i guess

i have looked at info on the liver cleanses/gallbladder. the thing with that is i know i have a gallbladder FULL of stones AND sludge. so very diseased organ. if i do a flush- chances of a stone getting stuck somewhere on the way out would increased with the amount of stones you have--- my analytical mind says anyway. so, if have gallbladder that is not working to pump out right and do a flush the amt of pressure on gallbladder just would increase?? seems like risks are too great on that one. surj told me to cancel HIDA scan PCP ordered. told me doesnt neeed it- gallbladder like mine is NOT ejecting and scan just $$ to prove it, told us just "academic info" at this point.

i know if stones cause pancrease inflammation then your really in for it- watched my mom go through that...no thanks!!

of course my PCP or either of the 2 diff surj. we talked to know nothing about the hulda clark fulshes or anything like it. LLMD did not either. he was first to see the ultrasound and just said very simply- oh, so who is taking out your gallbladder?

when i began to question what report said, why would surj be first response?, other meds to take, etc LLMD got upset and rest of appt went downhill from there...and yes LLMD is one who gave me the LDN knowing full well i was on opiods. kinda puts kink in the trust factor. leaves me at a crossroad about it. not like there is much choice either....well enough on that. not the forum right now.

LLMD really not too involved here. just said to keep with iv rocephin with the surj. and i should have less pain from it. thats it. fully believes rocphin is best IV for lyme- period. others are just waste of money. this is the one to get the job done. likely i have had lyme and co for over 8 yrs, and 8yrs of immunosuppressive tx for "lupus, GI possible chrons" (most of the rhum tx's are same for good portion of rhum dx.)then what thought was MS we learned was lyme.

i think actigall should prob have been started when iv rocphin was (seems like there are some LLMD who do just that, mine is not one of them) but hindsight ......i know this did not happen in just the last 4 mo. this has been years in the making.

surj. did tell me the "attacks" of pain are stones trying to pass. been in progressive, persistant pain since sun. today had a 4 hr one. finally phenergan got me through it-- it is awful and undescribable the pain that causes

the hosp is very...um efficient. calls, registration, etc. as for MRSA i hope they all maintain sterile tech.

i will be in/out God willing. surj. will start with 1 incision and only add by 1 at a time only as needed.

i did get the chance to talk with pre-op nurse and do some lyme education during me phone consult today. was good and felt like i accomplished something.

as far as liver support stuff--- trying to learn but how do you know what to take????

i have been on liver=gall cleanse, liver health support. counting on knowledge of owner of local vitaminn shope around the corner - i have stayed away from GNC. folks that work there know nothing- is teenagers around here. this local shop at least seems educated in what they stock, how it works, etc.

hard to know what to be on?? i take only the liver stuff i mentioned as an "other". my supplements otherwise have been LLMD recommended: mag, mutivitamin, sam-e wiht actly choline, high dose vit c, salt tabs (NMH), good probiotic, b12 complex, zyflamend. LLMD sticks wiht the Dr B list. "others" he does not comment on- just some pt have used "master herbalsit" with accupuncture.

i did learn reiki over the weekend. mom did the class wiht me!! gotta love moms, no matter how old i get....thanks for the reiki recommendations from folks here at lymenet when i had posted about pain issues. has helped some- and i will take "some" happily.

hubby will be off the rest of the week with me (we have 3 kids from middle school to toddler) and his mom has been here off/on since november helping. so blessed to have the family support we do- i dont know how anyone could get through this without it.

well...thanks again to all. i appreciate the feedback. anyone has a moment to shoot up a prayer i would be appreciative. Praying about weather or not to have the surj. is what i let guide me on this. I have really struggled with the idea of it. But, my body is sending clear signals that all is NOT well in there.

just to think of the damage this has done is something i try to avoid. i am young for the degenerative changes in my spine, knees, jaw. only early 30's with bone changes seen in menopause. crazy!! and now organs are coming out

good night and thanks again...off to hosp tommorrow........ [group hug]

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

my 3 boys,

may this operation solve problems you had and be the beginning of your lyme journey to remission.

god, please give the surgeon skilled hands during this surgery and all before and after our new friend!

prayers headed to you 3 boys! [group hug] [group hug] [kiss]

Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with your surgery!!! I hope all goes well for you, let us know how you are doing when able =)

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tif
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending well wishes your way; hoping all is/has gone well [Smile]

--------------------
TL

Posts: 365 | From OK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear MY3BOYS,
I know exactly what you mean. My gallbladder was in similar shape when it was removed. Had I waited any longer and listened to my PCP, it would have ruptured. Thank goodness for intuition. Before I had my operation, it actually got so bad, I could not even tolerate baby food!

I would get severe reflux. The nausea and heaves got so bad near the end, even my Phenergan was not helping as much. On the morning of the surgery, they had to give an injection of Phenergan the nausea was so severe.
I still worry there are issues there, but bile salts do help. When people have bad gallbladders, surgery may be the only option. We all wish you a speedy recovery!

Dear Zenith_Z,
The same thing happened to me! I laughed when I read your post, because I remember how much sneezing hurt. My best friends called and made me laugh, which also hurt. Regardless, I healed quickly. That first time after the operation I sneezed, I thought my stitches blew!

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Candida Overgrowth (2006)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Gallbladder Disease (removed- 2003)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Ovarian Cysts (5 in less than 10 months - 2000)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement