LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » doxy and flagyl together ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: doxy and flagyl together ?
bwillis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwillis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At my LLD appt today my doctor wanted to add flagyl to my treatment. I'm already taking doxy and others, but I read somewhere that doxy can have a negative effect on the flagyl.

Anyone have any experience with these two abx. I trust my doctor, she said if you take them far apart, there won't be much effect.

I'm a little worried. Anyone's advice is welcome.

Posts: 199 | From utah | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimwg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drugdigest.org does not show any interaction between the two, but make sure to be extra careful avoid alcohol when taking the flagyl! I am starting it soon and my doc warned me that even mouthwash with alcohol could cause a very unpleasant reaction.

--------------------
Wildlife biologist working in tropics since 1997; tick bites in Nicaragua in March 2007, started getting sick May 2007; diagnosed with Lyme based on serological testing in Jan 2009; treatment starting Feb 2009. Wish me luck!

Posts: 116 | From Seattle | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These two are prescribed together for chlamydia pneumoniae treatment sometimes, and some with Lyme have this as well. I took doxy and flagyl pre-Lyme for it.

Lots of people at cpnhelp.org have taken these together. You might find more info there as well.

Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure! I was on both for a couple months. The former fights the cell-walled version (spiro) & the latter is considered a "cyst-buster".
The doxy is typically taken twice a day & the Flagl 3 times, but follow your doc's Rx.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wheever
Member # 9974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wheever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Doxy for 18 months, and my Dr was pushing me to take flagyl at the same time, but every time I tried to it made me too sick to tolerate.

After about a year of just the doxy, I wasn't having much improvement, so ~2 months ago I decided to ride out the effects, and started taking the flagyl at 1/2 dose. The effects got better and eventually I was able to take the full dose fine. I'm now on 200mg of doxy and 250mg of flagyl twice a day.

I'm kicking myself now, because after 2 months of taking flagyl, I'm finally feeling like I'm returning to normal; like health is a real possibility again.

I'm being a bit understated, because I don't want to jump the gun with prognostications--but for me the combination of the 2 drugs has been pretty miraculous. I'm still not well, but I sure as heck am getting there. I feel better right now than I ever thought I would again. (Y'all know what I mean!)

I STRONGLY recommend you try taking the flagyl, and if you have a bad reaction, try cutting the dose in half for a while.

Posts: 13 | From Vermont | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it can be a tough drug to tackle. Heavy on the stomach for me. But I found that if I split up the doses (& dosed more often) I could handle it better to start. But then that interfered with timing my probiotics (A 'MUST') so I ended up at the regular dosing intervals again (every 8 hrs, I believe).

wheever: Sounds like you're doing much better.
Great!
But hasn't your doc considered switching you to a different abx family- for additional improvement, possibly even full remission?
Something like Ceftin or high-level amoxy?

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had a terrible herx on flagyl; stopped taking it 4-5 days after i began... be careful..
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bwillis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwillis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up, anyone else?
Posts: 199 | From utah | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wheever
Member # 9974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wheever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'Kete-tracker:
wheever: Sounds like you're doing much better.
Great!
But hasn't your doc considered switching you to a different abx family- for additional improvement, possibly even full remission?
Something like Ceftin or high-level amoxy?

There was gradual but definite improvement for most of the year, then I hit a plateau. He likes doxy because it's a therapy that is very sustainable over the long term, and he's had good results with using it this way. I was on zithromax for a while, but it made my stomach a complete mess, then my Health ins. decided not to pay for it. I'm awaiting a supply from Canada.

His take on my lyme is that I'm one big cyst at this point, and the flagyl will force the buggers out of hiding. [Smile]

So far this has been pretty miraculous. I just got done with a SERIOUS workout, and feel great...not woozy and sick and weak and sleepy and ill, GREAT! So for now, I'm sticking by doxy & flagyl.

It's so strange how each of us responds to different therapies differently.

Posts: 13 | From Vermont | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Wonderful, wheever. And that exercise will help get the meds out to all your extremities.
Now you jut need to find a "doxy" that doesn't make you UV-sensitive, huh? LOL

Thank God I was on amoxy a couple summers ago. I love to kayak. It would've been Burn City had I stayed on a 'cycline.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement