LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wouuld you be willing to do Radiation or Chemo?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wouuld you be willing to do Radiation or Chemo?
Jellybelly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7142

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have often thought about this and have thought that if either of these cured or greatly set into remission Lyme I would do it. But then I didn't even know if it would work or not because I had never heard or read anything on it.

But last night I heard of it. I was visiting some friends and one of them had this thing she wanted to tell me. She was in some medical facility and over heard this woman talking about Lyme and how she had been cured. My friend said she knew someone with Lyme and thought it was not curable. The lady then told her what she had done.

She had been given radiation to kill the ketes! She said it worked and she was what she called cured, now time will tell if that is for sure.

I thought this very exciting and I had actually been talking to my mom the day before about this very subject.

Apparently it is being done but by the tiniest handful of about 4 doctors. So would you do it?

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i asked about this in another post. hopefully somebody will know.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it would give me my mind back, I'd do anything to my body.

[ 05-25-2009, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: adamm ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking ENDLESS abx aren't particularly safe either and some of the abx can give you a life threatening herx. Besides that many have done abx for years and are not well still.

Chemo and radiation are extreme therapies without a doubt but if you could get your life back in one fell swoop, in a matter of weeks, I think I would really do it. Feel crappy for 6 weeks or feel crappy for years while treating with abx and maybe you will get well.

So often Lyme is not viewed still as that serious of a disease to consider something as drastic as these 2. But in my mind a life of He** is not worth living a lot of the time. One of these 2 would be a far better option then ending your life, as we all know some have done because the suffering is just to much to bear.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope.

My husband says he will never do chemo. I have always wondered what I might do if faced with death. But recently I heard an oncologist say they had made great strides not in # of lives saved from cancer but in identifying who will be able to tolerate the poisonous side effects of the chemo and who will not.

People who cannot detox well will not be given chemo as the chemo itself will kill them because their bodies can't detoxify it fast enough. Same with radiation.

That solves it for me. I have had the DetoxiGenome test and I am severely disfunctional in my ability to detoxify.

Thankfully, I am beating my lyme and doing very well. I take all the right measures to reduce my risk of cancer.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those therapies are typically not meant for the treatment of infection, especially a low-level, chronic infection that resides in all kinds of tissue. The amount of chemo and radiation necessary to provide a sure cure, would likely be fatal. I'll do some research, but I highly doubt they would be efficient and effective treatments so much as to warrant their risks.
Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
s0ngbird1962
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for s0ngbird1962     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Chemo and radiation are extreme therapies without a doubt but if you could get your life back in one fell swoop, in a matter of weeks, I think I would really do it."

Just a thought. Have you ever seen someone go thru chemo or radiation? I was witness to my Mom going thru that in her battle with lung cancer. (She is thankfully in remission for 2 years now).

But we almost lost her several times while undergoing chemo. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy....

--------------------
Mom to a 5 year old lymie....
Taking it one day at a time.

Posts: 182 | From Ipswich, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
s0ngbird1962
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for s0ngbird1962     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and you don't necessarily get your "life back" after chemo/radiation either. Well, not the life you had.

Chemo is very toxic and to this day she has problems with memory. She tires very easily. And the radiation has damaged her lungs and vessels to her heart with scar/burn tissue....

We'll take our chances with antibiotics...

--------------------
Mom to a 5 year old lymie....
Taking it one day at a time.

Posts: 182 | From Ipswich, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see those things being approved for lyme...at least not in this neck of the woods...

If those things were to be done, they better get it right or one would end up really behind the eight ball...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those thinking about taking such drastic measures - have you thought about a rife machine?? They WORK! Get one - it'll be the best money you ever spent, I promise!

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerifrog
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerifrog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I had radiation on one side for breast cancer.

It took months for the burned skin to heal and 2 years to recover my energy level.

That was only about one square foot of my body being irradiated.

I was exhausted & weak to the point I had to cut off my waist length hair as I couldn't even brush it.

Too tired & sick to even eat.

It's believed that damage from the radiation to the vagus nerve may have caused my gastroparesis.

It's been 6 years and my breast tissue on that side is still odd.

Radiation to keep my cancer from killing me, Yes. As a cure for Lyme...No.

Geri
-

Posts: 151 | From Kingston NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that chemo probably does put lyme into remission. My husband's mother had lupus... but in my opinion, it was never lupus and was probably lyme all along. She had chemo to put the 'lupus' in remission and it worked and she has been in remission for many, many years (it's been more than 10 years)... and the chemo didn't do anything to harm her or cause issues, as she really has none now...

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eagle
Member # 19278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know they do chemo for lupus! (Then again I don't know much about chemo or lupus.)

Disturbedme's experience does sound possibly promising for Lyme.

Ironically I recently mentioned chemo during a conversation with another lyme patient. I was like: "What about blasting those darn ketes and their cyts, biofilms, etc with chemo?"

But after reading the posts above, I understand how chemo's toxicity + immune suppression could do more harm than good for lyme.

Jellybelly, were you able to talk directly with the woman who said radiation cured her lyme, or with the doctors that do it? If you get more info, please do share!

Posts: 29 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

In line with what lymielauren28 says,

A rife machine is much safer and kinder to our cells - and there are many reports of it having good success. The radio frequency waves of a rife can go through our entire body.

Radiation can target only a specific area and will not reach spirochetes throughout the body.

And, on "60 Minutes" a few years ago, there is a man who is reinventing what is basically the rife for cancer treatment. They call it something else but if they'd just go back to the work of Royal Rife, they'd be there already.

But the government destroyed his work once the pharmaceutical companies felt threatened. My guess is that this very nice guy will find many road blocks. On the other hand, I am very concerned that something that is relatively inexpensive and easy for patients to do on their own will wind up costing a fortune and not being accessible to patients.

From what I recall, the plans to make big money are integral to the development of this.

=================

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/10/60minutes/main4006951.shtml

The Kanzius Machine: A Cancer Cure?

Lesley Stahl meets a man who invented a machine that may kill cancer cells using radio waves. (This segment was originally broadcast on April 13, 2008.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://www.rife.org

RIFE - in general

=================

http://www.lymecommunity.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Lyme Community Bulletin Board: RIFE machine - with lyme and TBD (tick-borne disease).

-----------

http://www.lymebook.com/lyme-disease-rife-machines-bryan-rosner

Book: When Antibiotics Fail . . . Lyme Disease & Rife Machines
- By Bryan Rosner

You can look inside the book and read over 30 customer reviews here at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/p7e4g2

--------------------

The DVD is Now Available from Bryan Rosner's presentation at the 2006 Rife Conference! Link:

http://www.lymebook.com/conference.htm

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend was just about to have an Igenex western blot because of 20 years of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue symptoms.

Then she was diagnosed with leukemia and had to go to a large hospital 3 weeks ago for chemo.

When she recovers from all of that I am hoping that the chemo is toxic to the lyme and coinfections that I'm sure she has.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.

I personally wouldn't want to have chemo to try to treat lyme.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4OSBduNE2E

Bryan Rosner's experience with rife machines

Video: 6:04 (nice, gentle video)

-----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQAJjb_DO_g

Sample from Bryan Rosner / Doug MacLean interview DVD

10 minutes

(Caution for those with hyperacusis, the audio quality here may really hurt your ears as the microphone pitch is very harsh & not balanced - and it has to be turned up all the way to hear.

I had to stop this a few minutes in as it just hurt my ears too much (and I have a good MAC with nice sound). I assume this would be the same audio quality as the DVD, so, if considering purchase, ask first.)

-

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
disturbedme,

There is a chemotherapy drug called methotrexate that is commonly used in low doses for auto-immune disorders. In high doses, it is chemotherapy.

Low doses not nearly so damaging although even the low dose can be fatal. It works by suppressing the immune system.

Is that what your m-i-l took?

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luvs2ride, no, from what she has told me she had the actual chemotherapy. She was in the hospital for the entire duration she had it done because it made her so sick (as chemo can and will do).

From what I was told, at the point she had chemotherapy, the "lupus" had progressed to the advanced stages where it was in her kidneys, so they decided this was the best.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/choline/

Once there, use your edit key to find the "methotrexate" impact on choline and on the liver.

One of Bb's Osps (outer cell wall proteins) IS lecithin.

ONE of them.

Bb's toxin inhibits the release of acetylCHOLINE.

My sis tried it briefly - couldn't tolerate it at all.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for radiation, I struggle to imagine how you would use it to kill Lyme entirely without badly harming ourselves. It sounds like there isn't enough information here on the treatment to really know what the lady had done.

If I were ever going to consider chemo, it would be IPT though I am not sure if IPT works the same for Lyme as it does for cancer; I do remember hearing some comments that it may but have not pursued looking into it further.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement