LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Soo..can the test pick it up from long ago?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soo..can the test pick it up from long ago?
iloveyou
Member # 20244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iloveyou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got my Igenix kit in the mail...
It is difficult to part with $200.00 to have these tested, I have to tell you. When you are as broke as I am, it is hard to have to spend it, or worse, borrow it from someone to spend.
But I know the peace of mind is worth it.
Anyway, how accurate IS the western blot test?
I have read for many hours about it..I know it is supposed to be the most accurate, but what about for someone who may have been infected 10, 15, or 20 years ago???
Will it be able to detect it?
Personal experience stories desired...
Blessings...

--------------------
Are you also having spiritual problems? Click Here to see if your problems are not just Lyme.

Posts: 42 | From sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

iloveyou,

I'm breaking this up so more can read and reply:

--------

I just got my Igenix kit in the mail...

It is difficult to part with $200.00 to have these tested, I have to tell you. When you are as broke as I am, it is hard to have to spend it, or worse, borrow it from someone to spend. But I know the peace of mind is worth it.

Anyway, how accurate IS the western blot test?

I have read for many hours about it..I know it is supposed to be the most accurate, but what about for someone who may have been infected 10, 15, or 20 years ago???

Will it be able to detect it?

Personal experience stories desired...

Blessings...

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

If it's between a test and a doctor's visit, I think you would be best served to see an ILADS-educated LLMD for a personal evaluation / assessment.

If lyme is a problem for you now, the WB can pick that up, regardless of how long ago you were infected but it might not. However, with the WB is better than most tests, it is not a guarantee as the sensitivity of any test is just not perfect since lyme is so very hard to test.

An antibiotic challenge before the test might help with the accuracy. And, be sure to do the test and have the sample handled EXACTLY by instructions.

Still, if you are expecting a 100% solid yes or no, you have to know that lyme tests can read false even in a person who is very ill with lyme.

I can't think as to how to explain this so I'll let it go for others to do that.

--

Did you ever have a bulls eyes rash (or other rash) after a tick bite?

Do you have an ILADS LLMD near you? There are other tick-borne infections, too, and if you see a LLMD first, they could better guide you as to if this might be lyme, babesia or other TBD.

And, there are also other chronic stealth infections to consider. Not everything is lyme and some other infections can present in a similar fashion. A good LLMD should know how to figure this out but much relies on your physical presentation and history.

Lyme is a clinical diagnosis. Tests are not accurate enough to rely on solely; the experience of an expert is invaluable.

--

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

VERY important to read - even BEFORE testing:

Dr C's Western Blot explanation is discussed here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042077

"With most infections, your immune system first forms IgM antibodies, then in about 2 to 4 weeks, you see IgG antibodies. In some infections, IgG antibodies may be detectable for years.

Because Borrelia burgdorferi is a chronic persistent infection that may last for decades, you would think patients with chronic symptoms would have positive IgG Western blots.

But actually, more IgM blots are positive in chronic borreliosis than IgG. Every time Borrelia burgdorferi reproduces itself, it may stimulate the immune system to form new IgM antibodies.

Some patients have both IgG and IgM blots positive. But if either the IgG or IgM blot is positive, overall it is a positive result.

Response to antibiotics is the same if either is positive, or both. Some antibodies against the borrelia are given more significance if they are IgG versus IgM, or vice versa.

Since this is a chronic persistent infection, this does not make a lot of sense to me. A newly formed Borrelia burgdorferi should have the same antigen parts as the previous bacteria that produced it.

But anyway, from my clinical experience, these borrelia associated bands usually predict a clinical change in symptoms with antibiotics, regardless of whether they are IgG or IgM."

-

Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on all Keebler's advice!

Especially the antibiotic challenge. Since you are concerned about the very-sensitive Igenex western blots detecting your possible Lyme, you likely know that the western blots detect Lyme-specific antibodies (not the actual lyme bacteria itself).

You have probably also read that patients who have been sick for a long time often have less activity on their western blots, which makes sense because we know that Lyme develops clever ways to entrench itself in the body and hide from the immune system...and then the immune system would stop making antibodies to an infection it doesn't detect.

Doing an antibiotic challenge, eg. several weeks of doxycycline, prior to getting the test done may be the best way to increase the accuracy of your results.

Have you taken antibiotics recently? If so and depending on what you took, you may have stirred up enough Lyme to create more antibodies.

I suggest you call Igenex and discuss your questions and doing a possible antibiotic challenge test with the lab's director, Dr. Nick Harris. He is very open and responsive to answering patient questions.

If you are advised not to do an antibiotic challenge or if you can't get a doctor to prescribe the antiobiotic, their are many natural antibiotics and immune stimulants you can take for a few weeks before getting your blood drawn. The others on here will be a better resource for that info.

Good luck to you!

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had lyme for 20 years. My WB through Igenex picked up the antiboities and I was even CDC positive.

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveyou
Member # 20244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iloveyou   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for writing everyone. I did read that post above, of course. Twice.
I have to say, I cannot imagine taking antibiotics like these doctors tell you to. Really. If anything, I believe that mass amounts of antibiotics have wiped out my immune system over the years and it took many years to repair back again, and is still quite sensitive. I cannot imagine how wiped out your systems must be after a year or more of antibitoics.
Although it may be best, I would never take antibiotics just so I could take a test, even if it could produce better results!
I think you are all very brave for doing so!
It is helpful to hear that someone who may have gotten it a long time ago tested positive.
Thanks so much.

--------------------
Are you also having spiritual problems? Click Here to see if your problems are not just Lyme.

Posts: 42 | From sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

sorry, I just can read the post above unless it's spaced out . . . reposting:

=====

Thanks for writing everyone. I did read that post above, of course. Twice.

I have to say, I cannot imagine taking antibiotics like these doctors tell you to. Really.

If anything, I believe that mass amounts of antibiotics have wiped out my immune system over the years and it took many years to repair back again, and is still quite sensitive. I cannot imagine how wiped out your systems must be after a year or more of antibitoics.

Although it may be best, I would never take antibiotics just so I could take a test, even if it could produce better results!

I think you are all very brave for doing so!

It is helpful to hear that someone who may have gotten it a long time ago tested positive.

Thanks so much.

(iloveyou)

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

A challenge for the test is not a high dose. You can take protective measures such as probiotics, milk thistle, olive leaf extract (to prevent candida), etc.

You have a much better chance at a good test with the challenge.

But, whatever you decide, be sure you have the best test for disseminated lyme and follow the collection and shipping directions exactly as all that matters a great deal, too.

And, as for treatment, it is the specific combination and rotation WITH supplement to support the immune, liver, adrenal and nervous systems. Probiotics are vital. Did you have all that with your previous experiences?

Also, with treatment, all the TBD involved need to be treated. If not, a patient can't get better. (TBD = tick-borne disease). All the abx (antibiotics) you had before, most likely, did not take into account possible coinfections.

Without support treatment from supplements, pharmaceuticals are much harder on a patient. That is true. Still, there are various avenues to take regarding treatment. But, it must be very specific and consistent to work, regardless of the protocol chosen -- regardless if allopathic, naturopathic, complementary. Most patients find a combination works best.

-

iloveyou
Member # 20244

I am SOOOO sorry about the spacing! I keep forgetting!

I should not be so clueless, because I have a hard time reading it like that also.

Please forgive me!

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

iloveyou,

That's okay and it's nice to know that future posts will have more breathing room.

good luck with your decision.

-

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love you,

yes, i'm like keebler and appreciate her taking the time to break up your long paragraphs into SHORT ones and double spacing it... yippee!

it's a learning experience here for all of us.

it was 35 yrs. before i was CORRECTLY diagnosed using igenex's western blot igm/igg !!! i had so many positives on majority of numbers and met CDC STANDARDS TO BE REPORTED!

so yes, it will pick up from decades ago! i've a perfect example.

as keebler said, there is NO TEST 100% at this time.

i too suggest you call dr. harris, director of igenex since you are in sweden!!

i gave you what few names i had for overseas from another lymenet member.

best wishes, and i don't envy you being way over there with no lyme literate dr. NEARBY to treat and diagnose you. [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually there is a lot of research coming from

Sweden. But testing is like here=they simply aren't

ready. I confirm what they have said here.

Whichever way you go do not send sample within 2

weeks of taking any kind of treatment. Either Homeo

or conventional antibiotics.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveyou
Member # 20244

Thanks Pinelady...
That is what is so absurd.

Sweden spends al this money on RESEARCH..but when it comes to helping people??? FORGET IT!

The system here is a TOTAL NIGHTMARE and yes, you are lucky you are not here!

You say do NOT sent the samples within two weeks of taking treamtement?

Do you mean I SHOULD take it?? As someone above wrote?

--------------------

Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not want to waste more time or money

because I was so sick. I was fortunate to have

read peoples stories here where it took sometimes

multiple tests to find and I did not want that.

And I was very sick. But able to get to the

bathroom and forced myself to work. (If that's what you want to call it). I took

antibiotic of sorts for 3 months and stopped

-waited 2 weeks and had it drawn and still was

mostly IND but positive at critical points so I

got a +IgM from Igenex. So yes I would do the

antibiotic challenge first.

As soon as I was done with waiting- to draw, I

went right back to antibiotic since it had helped

me. And no-one else had. Igenex did request at

least 2 weeks with no antibiotics in system.

But you can call them if you are fluent and ask

for sure in your case. Or email them. I plan on

retesting after a few months on treatment just to

see if I get a Christmas tree but I am happy for

now I am getting better.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveyou
Member # 20244

This is one of the best forums I ever found.

People are so helpful, I get very sweet private

messages, and I just think it is so amazing how

nice all you people are...suffering, yet still

reaching out to people. It is inspiring. Thank

all of you!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement