LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone had a Toradol injection?Or know anything about them?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone had a Toradol injection?Or know anything about them?
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to my PCP today for a follow-up appt. Just so happens that I am one week out from my period and had a massive migraine.

I could barely walk.

I was crying,or rather tears were sliding down my face. Nothing has ever helped these headaches.

She had the nurse give me a shot. Found out it was Toradol after the fact. Hope I did not do anything wrong??????

My headache was GONE in less than 20 minutes. I feel blaaaah, but no HA. After looking up this drug, I am not sure that I would have agreed to it if she had asked permission.

All of you with experience or nurses, did I do a no-no?

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feelfit, I'm glad the headache is gone. That's the good news of the moment, right?

I have only had one Toradol injection - it was in the ER, so like you I did not research it ahead of time. No pain relief from it, but no real side effects either.

It was the only choice of painkiller for me, per this particular doc who was afraid to give me anything else due to my allergies (I'm allergic to nearly all painkillers - what a stinker.)...

Apparently, there are quite a few docs trying to use Toradol instead of Demerol, as Demerol can induce seizures.

Hoping that you don't experience any side effects of the injection - other than a headache free day.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Cactus.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toradol is a wonderful painkiller. It is a very strong anti-inflammatory. Not a steriod.

It is used all the time in the hospital. When my post op patients had problems with pain control I would always request this for them. It works so well, some didn't even want their narcotics anymore!

I'm glad to hear you found some relief with it Feelfit. If you get migraines every now and then you could ask your doctor for an RX of Toradol. It comes in pill form too. You cannot take it every day though, just as needed for short periods of time (less than 5 days). If you take it longer you have an increased risk of experiencing side effects.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Thank you Sammy for the info! I have had a headache to some degree everyday for the past two years.

I average about 6 migraines per month. Lately I have been having no migraine......until today and it was a KILLER.

Nothing in the past has helped. I was so surprised that it went away! I was just worried about the bleeding, perforated gut etc.

I guess that is with extended use.

Feelfit

DJP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've have had the shot and now I have prescription for pills that I can take at home. My doc prescribes an anti-nausea with it.
I think I went to the doc so may times to get the shots, they gave me the prescription.

I always thought I had migraines and had about the same amount as you. I just finished IV antibiotic it would give me the same horrible head pain. I thought I was going to pass out one night because it was so bad. I would have gone to the emergency room, but I was home alone with my little ones and I was in too much pain to even use the phone to call for help.

I haven't had so many headaches since treatment.
Those headaches are the worst, as you said tears just slide down your face because actual crying hurts too much. Breathing even hurts.

I'm also taking Rifampin for Bartonella.

I haven't used the Toradol since treatment, I don't think they wanted me to take it will I was on IV. I was told to drink lots of water, which I do normally because I was a runner pre-Lyme. Take Acetametaphin every 4 hours and drink coffee. I never drank coffee until Lyme. It sounds simple and I didn't think it would work, but doing all the above really seems to work.
I woke up with a headache and I'm drinking my coffee and it seems to be going away.
Good luck!

Good luck!

Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GENERIC NAME: KETOROLAC - INJECTION (kee-TOE-row-lack)
BRAND NAME(S): Toradol
Warning | Medication Uses | How To Use | Side Effects | Precautions | Drug Interactions | Overdose | Notes | Missed Dose | Storage

WARNING: Do not use oral and/or injectable ketorolac for mild or chronic pain nor should their combined use go longer than 5 days. This drug must not be injected into the spine. Use only the amount prescribed. Do not use this drug if you are in labor, breast-feeding, have stomach problems (e.g., peptic ulcer), major kidney problems, bleeding problems, severe dehydration, or if you are having surgery. Do not use ketorolac while using aspirin or other NSAIDs (e.g., ibuprofen). "Blood thinners" (e.g., heparin, warfarin) should be used with extreme caution. Because this drug can cause a severe allergic reaction, appropriate medical help must be on hand, especially for the first dose. Do not use ketorolac if you are allergic to aspirin, NSAID or ketorolac itself. Seek immediate medical attention if an allergic reaction occurs. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, or trouble breathing. Elderly patients, those weighing less than 110-lbs (50kg), and those with mild kidney problems must not exceed 60mg/day when using the injectable form of this drug.

USES: This medication is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug that relieves pain and reduces swelling. It is for short-term use only (no more than 5 days).

HOW TO USE: Learn all preparation and usage instructions in the product package. If any of the information is unclear, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Inject this medication into a vein (IV) or into a muscle (IM) every 6 to 12 as needed or as directed by your doctor. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to therapy. If given IV, inject this drug slowly over at least 15 seconds. Under no circumstances should the combined use of the injectable form and oral form of this drug be given for more than five days. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for details. Before using, check this product visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do not use the liquid. Learn how to store and discard needles and medical supplies safely. Consult your pharmacist.

Next �
http://www.medicinenet.com/ketorolac-injection/article.htm

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement