LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Body Ecology Diet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Body Ecology Diet
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any of you have experience with the Body Ecology Diet?

Good?
Bad?
Headaches?
Gas?
Bloating?

What kind of effects?

I'm following it, but I'd love to know if what I'm feeling is normal.

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually if you can follow it, its pretty good
the first couple of weeks are hard though

and making the cultured veggies are a pain but you can buy them too
i think there is a website called pickles.com
i have to remember their name

making kefir is pretty easy and lasts in the fridge and is actually soothing to the digestion

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

making kefir is pretty easy and lasts in the fridge and is actually soothing to the digestion

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An update on this:

I tried it, and I think it produced significant reactions. But who knows?

I had to abandon it, since I lost so much weight. My body requires a lot of carbs (no, I do NOT have yeast. I've been tested) and so it failed.

But I know other people try it and it works wonderfully. What works for one person may not work for another.

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Ecology Diet is outdated.....a lot of the science behind it has been proven wrong. I'd be curious if anyone did well here on it. I would never eat that way long term. Maybe short term if it helped.

I WAS thinking about trying this or Dr. S's Inflammation diet.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

bump

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

I'm very curious if it helped anyone here at all

I have been on the Gerson Therapy for 3 months now and the Lyme Disease is getting better! I no longer have chest pain or air hunger. The body ecology diet helped me get worse. But the Gerson Therapy is helping me get better!

Hopeful2010
Member # 22958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopeful2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't say I've read the entire thing but I do follow some of the things. I think the theory behind it is completely crazy.

I drink lemon water. I bought black current juice and I mix that with water. I use to hate the taste and now I actually like it. I do some of the protocol to stop me from wanting sugar.

Posts: 86 | From California | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Gerson Therapy? What's that?

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Dr. C in Missouri recommended it to me to get over Lyme. It cures cancer & chronic diseases and has seemed to work well already for me.

My WBC is finally normal, my body temp is normal too after being very low for many years, and I have gained 20 pounds - I am finally over 100 pounds for the first time in 5 years! A miracle.

The book is cheap on Amazon - just type in "Gerson Therapy" - or you can go to www.gerson.org

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
missextreme, isn't the Gerson Therapy pretty tough to do? Do you juice several times per day and do coffee enemas a couple times per day? Do you also take the supps?

Just wondering how closely you're following it ....

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This book is great except the author seems to completely ignore hypoglycemia(commonly found in the unhealthy)

*shrugs shoulders*

I have to ignore the food combining section because i must have protein with every meal.

[ 03-31-2010, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: canefan17 ]

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eating good saturated fat will stabalize blood sugar.

Fat takes longer to digest than protein and carbs.

A fact [Cool] - not an opinion.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

I was going to try the Ecology diet for a few weeks to see how I feel.....or do I just follow Dr. B's guidelines closely which are pretty similar, no????

I thought of the Gerson Therapy diet as my nutritionist said she beat Lyme on a raw vegan diet and lots of juicing but I can't afford to take off work to do it. I have a busy life. [Frown]

Plus, I do not think juicing is good for anyone on antibiotics because of the huge amount of sugar in a glass of juice with little to no fiber. I stick to green smoothies.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

richedie
Member # 14689

bump

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Body Ecology has good ideas.

The one thing i've learned throughout all my diet research is to eat REAL FOOD.

Better learn to enjoy cooking.

It's the healthiest way to live.

Supplements, vitamins, packaged foods, canned foods, many frozen foods (TV dinner-like)... are a bunch of crap.

supplements and vitamins provide 0 anti-oxidant effects.

You want Vit C? no need for a pill... oranges and plenty of other fruits are full of vit C

you need vit K? Cucumbers are a rich source of vit K

you need vit D? get out in the sun

so on and so forth

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

I agree!!!!!!!!!!! I eat mostly ALL real, whole fods and I do cook! But if you are taking antibiotics you have to watch yeast issues....so you have to watch the fruit intake!

Also, my doctor recommends supplements but my nutritionist said I could use Vitamineral Green.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a book out "The Lyme Diet." It is written by my ND - N. Mcfadzean.

I think it is very helpful.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

The Lyme Diet book?
Tell me more. Was it helpful for you or others????

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably true, Canefan, but in Ohio for much of the year outside vitamin D is not possible.

I do have to supplement some minerals for KPU problem. I also supplement iron .... eating red meat is not enough for me and I can't do it every day, but I do take an iron derived from food sources, the same with B Complex, it's a whole food supplement. Greens didn't help with that either. Also, I supplement magnesium.

I also think many herbs are good, too.

Sometimes supplements are needed. Fresh, whole foods are the best, though, but unfortunately, some of us don't have a gut strong enough to digest them. Thus, the reason I am reading the Body Ecology Diet book. I have benefitted immensely from the fermented foods I have been eating. My gut was destroyed by both the bacteria and parasites I had in addition to the antibiotic treatments. It's improving.

I think the book has good ideas, but like any diet book, it has to be adjusted for the individual. I certainly do not plan on doing the strict version, I'm just taking away ideas that will help me.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

six,

Ya I should have made a footnote about "some supplements in moderation can be required/beneficial"

but you know what I was gettin at.... even a lot of "healthy" people in this country abuse supplements.

Those people totally miss the big picture (I used to be one of them)

richedie
Member # 14689

I am outside a lot, even in winter. If you cross country ski and snowboard, you'll be outside a lot! [Smile] Plus, I just like the winter so sometimes I'll just take walks no matter how cold. We had a very snowy winter in Philadelphia this year so i was in heaven. When I lived in the rockies, I was outside constantly. Don't let cold weather stop you.

A lot of the concepts in the Ecology book make no sense such as the food combining. There is absolutely no proof behind the thought of having to combine specific foods for any reason.

SIX,
Which fermented foods are you eating?

Big thing with me is eating lots and lots of raw veggies and fruit.

Her diet is so strict I am afraid of losing weight....but if it works. Maybe I should try it for a week solid and see if I notice anything.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

True, Canefan. Supplements are what the word implies .... extra, on top of for when you're not getting enough otherwise.

Richedie, I eat sauerkraut (I make it with various veggies along with the cabbage). Kefir and kombucha.

I wish I could eat lots of raw fruit and veggies, I just cannot digest them. I actually see a huge difference when I properly combine. I'm less bloated and digest better. Mostly when I improperly combine, I end up having to take enzymes for digestion.

The only thing about the cold weather is, how much of your skin is exposed?

--------------------

richedie
Member # 14689

Good point on the cold weather but I read a study and it said as long as your face is exposed you are doing a decent job with Vit D synthesis.

I hate sauerkraut but might start eating it. I so drink kefir and eat yogurt.

Yea, I never notice any issues eating veggies and fruit and never notice bloating, gas no matter how or what I mix. All good foods though.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think when it comes to diet the best diet is "traditional foods", that being, grass fed hormone free meats, free range hormone free chickens, non-gmo foods, organic fruits (limited), organic vegetables, and if at all possible, raw milk and raw milk products.

http://www.westonaprice.org/

Dr. Ron, a naturopathic doctor, has an interesting story to tell about how he got better eating "traditional foods". He used to be a vegetarian until researched Weston Price. He writes a little about his story here: http://www.drrons.com/weston-price-traditional-nutrition.htm

By the way, he also has Lyme disease.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Keep in mind Weston Price or whatever his name is...is a crazy person...crazy as can be. There are some NUTTY ideas on that site! WOW!

The whole thing is bogus.....I know just as many people who got 100% well by eating raw vegan, so you will find both sides of the story.

When I think of eating lots of meat...I think of nature. If you lived in the wild as humans did for years without fire...would you be talking animals and ripping them open with your teeth and eating them raw? Didn't think so.

The healthiest and longest lived cultures are primarily vegetarian, eat hardly any meat or dairy but also do not eat much in the way of refined or processed foods....stick to who intact starches.

Anyway....I eat a combination of both ways.....I am still not better so healing with diet I believe to be a crock.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

massman
Unregistered

gwb I agree absolutely on the diet. I do get annoyed a lot at many current docs + dieticians babbling about "heart healthy fat" when science is now showing that it is the chemical junk in saturated fat that causes the problems, NOT the fat itself. Been saying that for years

6 I have found the combining very helpful.

richedie stated : "There is absolutely no proof behind the thought of having to combine specific foods for any reason."

Where did you look for the proof ?

It is a physiological fact that when you eat a certain food first your body puts out a specific enzyme to help digest that specific food.

Carbs + proteins need different enzymes but your body can only make one at a time. So if you start with carbs then the body cannot digest protein well from that meal.

When I learned that I tried it and experimented with it. Works very well for me. There seem to be a few people that can eat anything / everything together + digest it.

And the reference on that is.....OMG ! An actual book that I have recommended here a lot, "The Pro-Vita Plan for Optimal Health" by Jack Tips PhD ND. [woohoo]

[Cool]

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by richedie:

Yea, I never notice any issues eating veggies and fruit and never notice bloating, gas no matter how or what I mix. All good foods though.

It's not really that kind of bloating, it's more water retention ... my rings get tight. My family going back at least three generations has digestion problems (Mom and her brother both, and their father, don't know about before him). Unlikely they all have Lyme.

I also don't digest fruits and veggies. At all. But ferments digest fine. I didn't like sauerkraut much when I started, now I make all different flavors of it. I put salsa on it and eat it with corn chips for lunch quite often (good quality, blue corn chips, Body Ecology says blue are easier to digest). I put it over sauteed spinach and onions last night and my husband RAVED about it!! Loved it!! Ate it with Quinoa for dinner. Everything digested.

If I properly combine and eat ferments with every meal, for the most part, my gut is good. I don't believe 2 years of abx helped.

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Richedie, also, about the meat .... I seem to be a natural vegetarian. I eat meat, but only a couple times per week at most. I naturally lean toward a vegetarian diet.

However, when I was sick, I needed MUCH more protein. I wanted meat every day.

I think each person is different. Some need meat, some are better off vegetarian ... though the ill need more protein than the healthy. The healthier I get, the less protein my body seems to need, and the more it wants it from vegetarian sources.

Body Ecology talks a bit about blood types. Oddly enough (since I used to think the blood type diet was a bunch of hooey), I am a type A, and they claim A to be natural vegetarians because type A also have lower stomach acid.

--------------------

canefan17
Member # 22149

massman,

And what about people who can't follow the NO-combining rules because they have hypoglycemia and must have protein at each meal?

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I eat protein. For lunch I am having sauteed spinach and onions with ghee ... and quinoa. Quinoa is high in protein. Also a "carb meal" can have nuts or nut butters with them, or beans.

I just feel better after eating when I properly combine. I also have a bit of hypoglycemia and must eat frequently.

--------------------

gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Keep in mind Weston Price or whatever his name is...is a crazy person...crazy as can be. There are some NUTTY ideas on that site! WOW!

The whole thing is bogus.....I know just as many people who got 100% well by eating raw vegan, so you will find both sides of the story.

When I think of eating lots of meat...I think of nature. If you lived in the wild as humans did for years without fire...would you be talking animals and ripping them open with your teeth and eating them raw? Didn't think so.

The healthiest and longest lived cultures are primarily vegetarian, eat hardly any meat or dairy but also do not eat much in the way of refined or processed foods....stick to who intact starches.

Anyway....I eat a combination of both ways.....I am still not better so healing with diet I believe to be a crock.

You say about the Weston Price diet, it's "crazy", "nutty", "bogus" "healing with diet I believe to be a crock". Then you say, "I am still not better". Hmmm, wonder why?

I'm getting better on this crazy, nutty, bogus, diet that you call a "crock", thank you very much. Of course, I'm crazy myself, so maybe that's why it's working so good. [bonk]

Well, I'm also using natural medicines--botanical/herbal medicines (no abx) along with detox baths and a few supplements. Don't suppose you have opinions on that--or do you? [dizzy]

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

cane - you of all people here believe the misinformation aimed at the public that fat is bad and protein is how blood sugar is best kept even ?

If something takes longer to digest wouldn't eating that stabilize blood sugar better ?

So what specific nutrient takes longer to digest ?
Carbs ?
Protein ?
Fat ?

Cause the correct answer to that tells you what to eat to stabilize the sugar.

The current popular answer is what "everybody" supposedly knows + does now. And that current answer is based on scaring people into buying drugs.

And the Price bashing is what is really nuts. Price worked with + studied HEALTHY natives from many placesin the world + what they had eaten for HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

For many of those people the reality was veggies were purely seasonal and fat + protein were available throughout the entire year.

gwb
Member # 7273

Here's a good book to read if you're interested in learning how to cook healthy meals. This is what's helped me to get better:

http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/0967089735/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274991476&sr=1-1

Book summary: A full-spectrum nutritional cookbook with a startling message--animal fats and cholesterol are vital factors in the human diet, necessary for reproduction and normal growth, proper function of the brain and nervous system, protection from disease and optimum energy levels. Includes information on how to prepare grains, health benefits of bone broths and enzyme-rich lacto-fermented foods.

Dr. Ron Schmid is a Naturopathic doctor who used to be a strict vegetarian, but when he got Lyme disease he noticed he wasn't improving on his diet. He began to study the Weston Price diet and through his research came to the realization that it took more than just eating raw vegetables to get well. He's not a "nut job", he's a well respected ND in CN and does phone consults. Here's his story: http://www.drrons.com/weston-price-traditional-nutrition.htm

I don't pretend to be an expert on "Lyme Diets". I'm simply sharing what helped me to get better, along with homeopathic remedies. Read Ron's very interesting story (it's short) and see for yourself how he came to believe that meat and fat was a necessary food for people with Lyme disease (or for anyone for that matter).

This isn't about bashing vegetarians, it's about being educated and learning things that you possibly didn't previously know. That's why I come here, to learn new things so that I can continue to get better.

Bashing people who eat differently than you do, or use a different protocol that you use, it's silly and serves no purpose whatsoever. Read, research, educate yourself, learn new things everyday, then draw your own conclusions.

I choose to applaud and encourage anyone who's getting better, whether it be through AI, rife, abx, positive thinking, natural medicines, vegetarian diet, protein diet with fats, $50,000 Envita clinics, stem cell therapy, or whatever it is. If it's getting them better, we should be supportive and happy for them, and not bash them.

We're all different and we all have to chose the path we feel is right for us. What's right for me, might not be right for you and vise versa.

Gary

richedie
Member # 14689

Steven Byrnes was a huge advocate of the Weston Price diet and he died of a massive stroke.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

richedie
Member # 14689

Weston Price was a dentist who went around the world studying native diets and their effects on health. From it, he learned alot about the benefit of eating a whole food natural diet. His book, Nutrition and Physical Degenration, is a classic, for its time.

However, these days, Sally Fallon and Mary Enig have hijacked the name, and his work and have turned it into an org that promotes high saturated fat, high fat, high cholesterol diets. Butter is a health food , etc etc.

Dr Stephen Byrne, one of their medical leaders, died of a stroke at the age of 41.

I would recommend people to stay away from it. They misrepresent and twist data and information. There is no real evidence supporting their theories.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

massman
Unregistered

And you are assuming the stroke was related to the diet ?

My stroke, in my estimation from being a natural doc since 1989, was from something from lyme, which weakened my heart.

Enig + Fallon are encouraging the public to follow Dr. Prices recommendations. That is all.

You are unaware of biochemistry and are only repeating what MDs = Dieticians are mindlessly repeating.

2 related problems based on the low fat babble.

1. ADHD - brains are made of mostly fat. "Officials" have told parents to decrease saturated fat starting at about 2 years old.
Why is this such a common problem now and not when I was a child in the 1950's and early 1960's ?

2. Female hormone imbalances are soaring in the US. Hormones are made primarily of fat. Without fat they are made of junk parts.

Another major factor recently posted at www.mercola.com is that in processed foods with lots of saturated fat it is the CHEMICALS stored that cause the problems.

The same bacon, cold cuts etc. without the chemicals caused no problems compared to highly processed foods with chemicals.

The incessant low fat advertising and "common knowledge" is, IMO, to increase drug sales through creating FEAR. In sales training it is common knowledge that fear can be well used to increase sales.

richedie
Member # 14689

Well, believe whatever you want. I'll step out of this conversation at this point. No offense. We all try to help each other on the forum but I am very pationate about nutrition and I know the research.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I think anything to the extreme is dangerous .... both low fat and high fat. I eat a moderate amount of fat - Coconut oil, ghee, olive oil, etc. I avoid bad fats. I neither eat lots of it nor little of it.

I agree that many health issues are caused by eating a lot of the bad fats and processed foods and not enough of the good fats.

--------------------

massman
Unregistered

Just a quickie then.

What specific research are you referring to ? I would like to see it as I am always interested in continuing education.

Thanks [Cool]

gwb
Member # 7273

Interesting articles.

http://naturalanswer.com/cholesterol.htm

http://www.center4wellbeing.com/Article-%20Are%20Saturated%20Fats%20Really%20Dangerous%20-Stephen%20Byrnes,%20PhD.pdf

Gary

gwb
Member # 7273

quote:
Steven Byrnes was a huge advocate of the Weston Price diet and he died of a massive stroke.

"The fatal stroke that poor Dr. Byrnes suffered was undoubtedly the ``rupture'' type rather than the ``clogging/clotting'' type which is attributed to animal fat and cholesterol by the morons of mediocre medicine. Clogging/clotting strokes are extremely rare in the young. Even if animal fats could be attributed to clogging/clotting strokes (which they simply haven't been), they certainly are not attributed to rupture strokes, which are much more common amongst the sushi-loving Japanese. The cause of the stroke had nothing to do with the meat and dairy Byrnes advocated eating.

It had entirely to do with the fact that the poor guy had AIDS. Rupture strokes are very common causes of death in AIDS sufferers. Byrnes knew he had AIDS, and he was busy trying to save his own life, and the lives of fellow sufferers. Medical drugs destroyed his health and made him feel worse, so he opted for naturopathy as a way to make himself better. Sadly, things didn't work out for him."

Source: http://blog.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/2006/03/28/vegans-lies-and-the-death-of-dr-stephen-byrnes/

Gary

massman
Unregistered

Thanks, Gary.

Lots of references too [Cool]

[woohoo]

massman
Unregistered

Burping - oooops I mean bumping... up !

Gotta run + get my organic peanut butter + muenster cheese sandwich [Eek!]
Really. Little 100 calorie bread.

Lots of PB + cheese [Big Grin]

Mmmm....mmm good [Cool]

massman
Unregistered

Bumpin again for answers. Please ?
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humans are adaptable. We can eat a variety of things. I believe we are considered omnivores... We have canine teeth for ripping meat & other types of teeth for chewing veggies.

I was a vegetarian for a long time. It was for health reasons & ethical reasons. I decided that we do need some of the nutrients in meat, fish, dairy, etc. I think the chemicals, pesticides, & toxic stuff in food is the problem.

I don't feel that there is a need to be a food fascist. Some people get like that. Humans are adaptable. Some people live in the Artic & some live in the Savannah & everywhere in between.

People survive well in Iceland & there's very little produce there. It's all volcanic rock. Most produce has to be imported or grown in a hot house. There's very little light in the winter...

People survive, though. We are lucky that we have enough here to obsess over what to eat. I just try to stay away from eating non-food like chemicals, GMOs, pesticides, etc.

I can't always afford all organic everything - so, we have to do the best we can.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you sparkle7. Yours is a voice of reason.
Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you read "The Metabolic Typing Diet" by William Wolcott and Trish Fahey?

It explains the science behind what you guys are saying. Depending upon your metabolic type as to whether you do better on carbs or proteins or a mix of each.

Like others, I avoid fake food and foods altered by humans.

Research has also found that you can remove most pesticide from veggies by spraying the veggie with vinegar water (1/2 vinegar-anytype & 1/2 water) and rinsing it off. I do this when I must by conventional.

Best to buy from local farmers as they use less pesticide and do nothing to preserve the veggie/fruit while it travels in trucks and sits in warehouses. Also, the food is fresher locally which means more nutrients.

I was mostly vegetarian, eating meat only 2 or 3 times a week when I first got sick and I did so well. The diet made a huge difference and I swore by it.

But in the last year (3 yrs into illness) my blood sugar began to drop/spike? (who knows, everytime they test me for diabetes, I test normal) and my blood pressure jumped up so I bought this MTD book thinking it would give me a better way to combine my veggies.

Imagine my shock when I tested deep into the protein type. I took the test twice and tried to answer as honestly as possible without letting my food prejudices weigh in and again, high protein type.

I began to follow the recommended protein type diet and bingo! All my hunger cravings, sweet cravings disappeared. My energy level soared and I really could feel the difference. It was hard mentally to eat so much meat and the veggie list while plentiful does not include many of my favorite cruciferous veggies.

Since I truly love veggies, I cheat. And if I cheat too much my blood sugar goes out of whack and my blood pressure mounts.

The book says our metabolic type can change at times and I do believe mine has been altered either by the illnesses or by following a mostly vegetarian diet for too long.

It is a very good, science based book to read and, like me, you may learn some surprises about yourself.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement