LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Symptoms of Low Magnesium, Could be causing problems for many Here. How do we Know ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Symptoms of Low Magnesium, Could be causing problems for many Here. How do we Know ?
lymetwister
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19590

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading that your Labs may show normal levels of Magnesium, but the intracellular levels may be low.

Plasma Mg concentration, even if free Mg ion is measured, may be normal even with decreased intracellular or bone Mg stores. Mg depletion usually results from inadequate intake plus impairment of renal conservation or GI absorption. There are numerous causes of clinically significant Mg deficiency

Src: Link to Italics above

Found this on another site:

Clinical Features:

Deficiency of magnesium causes weakness, muscle cramps, cardiac arrhythmia, increased irritability of the nervous system with tremors, anxiety, athetosis, jerking, vertigo, nystagmus and an extensor plantar reflex. In addition, there may be confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, severe headaches, depression, epileptic fits, hypertension, tachycardia and tetany.

I have many of these symptoms above, and I broght this up yesterday, but still unsure how to replenish the Mag. I'm using Mag Citrate, but there are dangers of having too high Magnesium levels as well.

Hypermagnesemia depresses the conduction system of the heart and sympathetic ganglia. A moderate increase in serum magnesium can lead to a mild decrease in blood pressure, and a greater concentration may cause severe symptomatic hypotension. Magnesium is also cardiotoxic and, in high concentrations, can cause bradycardia. Occasionally, complete heart block and cardiac arrest may occur at levels greater than 7 mmol/L.

So, is bowel tolerance the only way to know if were getting too much ? I'm just a little confused on this as it does appear that I am low or depleted given my severe symptoms i.e. Shaking, Body Aches, Weakness, Depression, Vertigo, etc. all in line with the symptoms I found above on Low Magnesium.

I took 300mg before I went to bed last night and I am feeling a bit better already this morning. Do I keep taking it until I get diarrhea or loose stools ?

Just trying to get this clarified. And I also wanted to ask how we truly know that Lyme depletes Magnesium other than theories cited by many Dr.'s. Is this proof positive ?

I really feel like this is an important topic as many complain of the symptoms I found in the list above. I'm sure there are more, but those are the major ones I could find. If we need to replace, than we should be, but safely.

I just want to finish by saying I honestly believe there is something to all of this as I always seem to get at least some relief after taking an Epsom salt bath. I do these about 3 x per week. There definitely seems to be something to this. I just want to do it right.

Lymetwister

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the population is deficient in Mag, but especially lymies. You should be taking mag glycinate. It's the best one, most absorable. Pure encapsulations is a good brand. It has no fillers in it.

Take it to bowel tolerance to determine your dose. Unlikely that you will ever take too much with lyme. Bb is utilizing it too. Take it every day in divided doses. If you can get your doc to set you to take IM mag sulfate shots they are really effective, but keep taking the oral as well.

All that you have pointed out is true, not conjecture. Magnesium is a very important mineral and especially for people with lyme disease.

Keep taking those epson salt baths as well. They really do work...it's pure magnesium.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Search for many threads - very detailed research - from MARNIE.

She has done a lot of work in that area and has explained how the Bb gobbles it up, leaving our cells without.

Here is just one thread from Marnie about magnesium:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/80718#000001

Topic: How did they CURE lyme in Romania

==========================

Brian Rosner's Rife book also goes into great deal. I know you are using a rife so you must have that book. Be sure to go back and read all that he writes about it. It's a very nice explanation.

You asked if there are dangers in having too much. Your bowels will prevent that. But there is danger if the other minerals are not in balance. I don't have that perfect recipe now but it's important.

Read what Rosner says, too, about magnesium's effects during treatment. Even people who are not using rife will find his work on magnesium valuable enough to get the book.

It is on Amazon - with many reviews - and at:

http://www.lymebook.com/lyme-disease-rife-machines-bryan-rosner

-

Also realize that even when you reach bowel tolerance and back down a bit that it can take months to replenish from a long-time loss. Other minerals need to be in balance with this, too. Calcium will need to come up.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brooke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brooke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought some of the Doctor's Best magnesium glycinate and it gave me acne. Would another brand of mag glycinate do the same thing, or do I need another kind completely?

I wanted to try mag because I have terrible anxiety (along with depression) and wanted something natural.

brooke

Posts: 117 | From PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Brooke,

I don't know. It might have been a temporary cleansing that caused that but you can certainly use other kinds as to quell anxiety & depression, magnesium is so important.

Fish oil (or better even, KRILL OIL), is important.

Mag. Citrate is very good, too. Check out some of these articles:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=magnesium

Search results for magnesium: 110 found

Top choices:

Magnesium: The Key to Health and Life

Magnesium: The Underappreciated Mineral of Life Part I - and part II

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brooke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brooke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!
Posts: 117 | From PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have wondered about magnesium myself. I have all the symptoms of deficiency but my labs are normal.

It is interesting to read that the intracellular levels may be low.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think labs will offer you much help with this. If you lyme you need mag! Even if you don't you need it.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your labs are normal, don't confuse it with the symptoms posted above which can be related to lyme disease. In 1999 when I first got dx my LLMD gave me a script for 1,000mg of IM magnesium.

It gave me extreme tachycardia (180)and had to call an ambulance. I also received IV magnesium from the headache center of a well known teaching hospital here for migraines and hallucinated for 3 days.

My symptoms calmed down greatly with treatment and eating a healthy diet. Safer just to eat foods high in magnesium and calcium. Do we really know if the intracellular levels are low?

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gothbubbles
Member # 20280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gothbubbles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetwister, what website did you find this quote on? I would love to show this to my neurologist.

Deficiency of magnesium causes weakness, muscle cramps, cardiac arrhythmia, increased irritability of the nervous system with tremors, anxiety, athetosis, jerking, vertigo, nystagmus and an extensor plantar reflex. In addition, there may be confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, severe headaches, depression, epileptic fits, hypertension, tachycardia and tetany.

--------------------
IGENEX DX Day Dec 2, 2009
IgM western blot: POSITIVE
18: +
**31: ++
**34: ++
**41: IND
58: +
**83-93: +

IgG western blot: Negative
**31: IND
**34: IND
**41: +

Antibody Titer B Burgdorferi G/M/A: Indeterminate
1:40 Titer

Posts: 20 | From Vermont | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, look into acetylcholine deficiency, there's were all happens, lyme eats its up. Why do you smoke?, for acetylcholine, its that deficiency that causes all the anxiety and air hunger in my non-med opinion, Lecethin or better Alpha GBC are key, not a laxative like mag..
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can be tested for red cell magnesium levels, which is a much more reliable indicator: mine were always well below normal [didn't know then that I had Lyme].
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement