LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hydrogen Sulfide's (H2S) role in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome .

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hydrogen Sulfide's (H2S) role in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome .
emla999/Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At a recent press conference Dr. Kenny De Meirleir announced some interesting findings regarding Hydrogen Sulfide's (H2S) role in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome .

http://www.mecvs.net/module-ME_CVS_docs-viewpub-tid-1-pid-421.html

To view the slides that Dr. De Meirleir used in his press conference:

http://meagenda.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/press-conference-kdm-2.pdf

[ 06-01-2009, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: emla999/Lyme ]

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cottonbrain,

You can get the test here:

http://www.proteabiopharma.com/page/diagnostics.php

Some more info about this new test:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/5401802/Simple-13-test-could-be-used-to-diagnose-patients-with-ME.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1189291/Scientists-develop-home-testing-kit-ME.html

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Emla,

Thanks so much for all the links. Interesting. Although it may still just one piece of the puzzle for some CFS/ME patients (and even for lyme patients), it could be a major breakthrough.

Test cost: 15.00 EUR = 21.2049 USD

That's very sweet news. Less than international shipping would be.

What they say about heavy metals and not being able to detox is very interesting. Finally, someone's getting it.

Excerpt: "In its final stage aberrant transmissible prions develop which put the patients in a total energy depleted state."

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Keebler,

I agree. This is probably just another piece of the puzzle. It sure is interesting though.

I also found something else interesting about Hydrogen sulfide's (H2S) connection to CFS.

http://tinyurl.com/mcqo

A mother and layperson by the name of Marian Dix Lemle discovered the connection between Hydrogen Sulfide/CFS before Dr. De Meirleir.

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

The Infamous Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)

http://www.beatcfsandfms.org/html/HealYourGut.html#gutgas

When gut bacteria or fungi are attacked by something like a heavy metal molecule (e.g. mercury), they have a special defense mechanism (called a "resistance gene") that produces Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) gas, which binds to the attacker and neutralizes it.

Subsequently this highly toxic and poisonous H2S gas is created in the gut. H2S can impair the immunity system, especially in the area of neutrophil function, which is used to fight the original yeast in the gut, and hence one can hit a vicious cycle.

H2S is very similar to the heavy metal mercury, in that it can bind to many of the things that mercury binds to and inactivate them.

In other words, all the bad things that mercury can do, as described here, H2S can do. H2S can also convert the safer Inorganic mercury to the more dangerous Organic mercury, as described here.

H2S has a very special circular relationship with the heavy metals; and therefore, it is a very special gas.

LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this really interesting mainly because he's one of the only researchers who has bothered to study the severely ill patients (like me). Generally, those at my level aren't included in studies because we can't get to the study!

It does seem to be a bit of a chicken and egg thing, however. The abstract just casually mentions local energy production could be causing the hyperpermeable gut he's talking about, and the leaking hydrogen sulfide could in turn impair mitochondrial functioning. But there are other theories (Dr. Sarah Myhill, Dr. Paul Cheney) that mitochondrial issues are the crux of the problem.

So it's hard to know what to do with this. Can one repair the gut if the mitochondria are malfunctioning? And what is causing the mitochondrial issues or leaky gut to begin with? And which one comes first?

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay now I am looking at the slides from the presentation. His treatment strategy seems to involve, in part, killing microorganisms -- it seems with antibiotics as he cites some antibiotic studies for ME/CFIDS and Gulf War Syndrome but he also talks about viral and fungal infections. Plus eliminating metals and doing immune system and hormone balancing.

Nothing that new in the treatment strategy and it seems like what people are doing for Lyme would work.

What else beside L-glutamine is one supposed to take to improve gut permeability?

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... one has to ask the question, does this test pick up something different than what the more typical H2S breath test that is given by Drs for "SIBO" picks up?
Posts: 116 | From Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this point, CFS researchers are far more helpful for pointing our physiological mechanisms than for treatment. Their treatments are all stuff that's been around for years... the best meirleir ever came up with was using VSL#3, but we've already found progurt by now..
Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnymalibu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnymalibu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Prof De Meirleir "Many ME patients suffer from multiple intestinal
symptoms, and Prof De Meirleir believes that an
overgrowth of "bad" bacteria, including enterococci,
streptococci and prevotella, is to blame.

My doctor is having me do a stool sample to test for these bacteria so we can target the antibiotic treatment, instead of just haphazardly taking antibiotics that are not necessary or are not treating the right infection.

The antibiotics are vancomycin and some other strong antibiotics.

Does anyone know how long one needs to be off of antibiotics before a stool sample. My doctor told me three days but I've read on the Internet from 7-14 days. I don't' want to have to do it more than once.

--------------------
sunnymalibu

Posts: 192 | From california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich Van Kroyenburg did a great summary of going theories about H2S. I emailed him to ask if I could post it here...but it's on prohealth's board right now
Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, Prions were mentioned to me by a very good intuitive. Good theory, but what is the cure???

Seems these guys are great with coming up with theories but offer no real treatment.

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering the same thing!! I actually have more CFS symptoms then lyme. I have severe exercise intolerance. I never hear of anyone with lyme having this problem.

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to see that some CFS researchers are finally seeing there is a pathogen cause, not simply an "out of the blue" immune issue.
Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aiden424, I have that problem too. You're not alone. I question if Lyme is causing it based on reading others' stories here about being able to exercise fine.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Aiden424--I do as well.
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aiden and seek,

I am another one with full blown CFS at this point. My exercise intolerance is very bad. When I say exercise, I mean I cannot even gently flex a muscle without paying dearly for days. Forget about REAL exercise. I can barely stand up for more than a short time. Taking a walks is out of the question. For me a walk is from the kitchen to the bedroom. I can't go up and down stairs, and have not been able to do any chores, laundry for instance, for a few years now.

I started out with acute neuro Lyme in the mid '90s, which, with standard treatment, slowly resloved to a large extent. But then my gut went south, and the CFS crept in. It was a slow progression. At first I had to limit my heavy exercise, then any exercise, then work, then movement of anykind, etc. From that time forward any abx trx only has made me worse.

I've been positive for Bb, bart-h, babs-m, myco-p, myco-f, EBV (biggest titer doc has seen in 20+ yrs.), HHV1, HHV6.

I think this all is connected to the gut and the gut bugs, though from there I am blank.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too sometimes feel as if I've got something else when I read that many people with Lyme seem to be able to exercise, go for walks, go to the gym.

My chronic fatigue symptoms, however, started a long time ago [20 years with continuous symptoms, many more with intermittent],whilst my gut has only been in a really bad way for the last few years [despite high dose probiotics for 10 years].

I've taken various abx over the past year without success as yet [and Doxy for 3 months 2 years ago].

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is all connected with the gut and gut bugs and therefore the immune system.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not this way until I had abx and my gut blew out. The CFS has been progressively worse the last year.

What is the proposed treatment? Focus the gut?

Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the metametrix GI panel the best for overall detection of bacteria as well as parasites in this situation or another panel?
Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Yeah that is the best overall profile. However, many of the problems we have in the gut are due to digestion at the stomach level (lack of acid). The pancreas is often overlooked, but it produced many enzymes necessary for digestion. An impaired gut can be the end result, and taking the strongest probiotic in the world may not be sufficient without addressing all the enzyme deficiencies
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't start having bad stomach problems until about 6 years a go. I didn't know I had lyme and hadn't taken any antibiotics yet. I'm now on 3 different stomach meds.

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

I have severe exercise intolerance too.

I think severe exercise intolerance is what distinguishes CFIDS from other illnesses (including Lyme), period.

The Canadian Case Definition agrees. The US case definition for CFS is totally bogus at this point, watered down so that real ME cases would be lost in a crowd of people who have vague fatigue complaints.

The CDC website on CFIDS, however, does talk about this, and also talks about delayed crashing -- that is, that for many of us the "payback" for exertion is delayed 24-48 hours after the activity.

I definitely think those with exercise intolerance are dealing with an entity beyond Lyme. I will be proven wrong if antibiotics cure my 17 years of CFIDS but so far they're just hitting the Lyme and bartonella that I contracted in recent years.

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

I just found this.

The Hydroxocobalamin form of Vitamin B12 may be an antidote for Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) toxicity.

http://tinyurl.com/oukcmw

http://tinyurl.com/rcz397

So, if Prof. De Meirleir's hypothesis about H2S is correct then maybe Hydroxocobalamin would be beneficial for people that have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Thanks, Joey and Emla.

At least the hydroxy b12 is part of the methylation protocol.. I think the yaskow group is seeing this as part of the puzzle in that regard.

gothbubbles
Member # 20280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gothbubbles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really cool! I hope it leads to treatments that will help get my life back.

Sick at 18, 9 years sick. I don't know if I have Lyme yet, but now I maybe if I'm neg for lyme CFS isn't a dead end!

--------------------
IGENEX DX Day Dec 2, 2009
IgM western blot: POSITIVE
18: +
**31: ++
**34: ++
**41: IND
58: +
**83-93: +

IgG western blot: Negative
**31: IND
**34: IND
**41: +

Antibody Titer B Burgdorferi G/M/A: Indeterminate
1:40 Titer

Posts: 20 | From Vermont | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement