LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diagnosed with MRSA lesion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diagnosed with MRSA lesion
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey folks,

I don't post often any more but check in almost daily. On the Lyme front, all seems to be well. Due to procurement difficulties with Bicillin, I cut back from three to once a week for a while and started having tendon pain, again. With a secure supply, I've gone back to three times a week and that is all better.

Now for the topic of the day. On Sunday I found what looked like a mosquito bite. It was raised and itched. By yesterday morning the surrounding are had become reddened to less than an inch in diameter. There was a small central lesion.

By ealy afternoon, the reddened area was about two inches in diameter so I went to a walk-in clinic (the one where the Lyme diagnosis was first brought up). At this point I was suspecting it was a spider bite.

The PA who saw me was fairly certain that it is MRSA, although early in the presentation, and prescribed Trimeth Sulfa DS (Bactrim?) twice a day. He said that if the central lesion becomes much larger or more raised I will need to have it drained and suggested I give it forty-eight hours. He was pretty nonchalant about it.

This morning the reddening and inflamation has further extended. My question is: Does the intervention seem appropriate or sufficient? What are your thought and or experiences?

Dave

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is time I wish this forum would allow attachments of photos in the post.

I have no answer obviously, but I hope someone will chime in soon. It sounds like a great concern.

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear that. I am no expert on MRSA, but your description sounds like pictures that I have seen of MRSA lesions.

Can you go back to the walk-in clinic today? That is 24-hours ahead of his suggestion to wait two days, but if it is expanding and you will need to have it looked at or drained tomorrow anyway, why not check it out again today and perhaps have it taken care of? Hope that it goes away soon!

How did you get exposed to that, is it near the bicillin injection points?

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep that's bactrim...they Rx that here for MRSA too. It ought to start to get better within a couple of days I'd think, otherwise you may have to go back and get it looked at again.

MRSA is real common here...it goes around schools, nursing homes, ect...they say it's in the air and sometimes have people swab their nasal passages with bacitracin.

Scary, with all the stories about it, hope it goes away quickly.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks, I am not overly alarmed but don't want to miss a window of opportunity to contain this.
Dave

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Lots of people post photos here - but they are imbedded and I have no idea how to do that.

The doctor did send this away for testing, correct? It would be dandy if they could identify the specific strain, too.

---

Not to be alarming but, yes, if this is MRSA, it requires the upmost attention and very specific care. You may need to tend this for a few months beyond the disappearance of the lesion.

Your LLMD would need to know about this and may have good suggestions.

The nonchalant attitude of the PA you saw concerns me. While you don't need to be alarmed, I'm not sure they gave you the best instruction in how to keep this from becoming systemic - or from infecting others.

---

There was a study in the UK where a cream with ALLICIN cured MRSA lesions. I'll see if I can find the link - it's somewhere in my file.

Whatever you do, swift and precise action is necessary - for for some time even after the lesion may disappear.

Be very careful not to touch that and then touch your skin elsewhere as it is easily spread. Be very careful will all materials you use to dress it. You don't want any of that to be touched inadvertently when someone adds a tissue to the trash basket.

You may need to keep it covered so as to keep clothing from becoming contaminated and so as to protect others.

-

I would also load up on the very best allicin capsules that you can. (But this is just my opinion.) I don't know about combining allicin with your current treatment but you can ask.

-

[ 06-02-2009, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

British Journal of Biomedical Science > 2004

Antibacterial activity of a new, stable, aqueous extract of allicin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus

Cutler, R R and Wilson, P

ABSTRACT

The increasing prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in hospitals and the community has led to a demand for new agents that could be used to decrease the spread of these bacteria.

Topical agents such as mupirocin have been used to reduce nasal carriage and spread and to treat skin infections; however, resistance to mupirocin in MRSAs is increasing.

Allicin is the main antibacterial agent isolated from garlic, but natural extracts can be unstable.

In this study, a new, stable, aqueous extract of allicin (extracted from garlic) is tested on 30 clinical isolates of MRSA . . . .

Of the strains tested, 88% had MICs for allicin liquids of 16 µg/mL, and all strains were inhibited at 32 µg/mL.

Furthermore, 88% of clinical isolates had MBCs of 128 µg/mL, and all were killed at 256 µg/mL.

Of these strains, 82% showed intermediate or full resistance to mupirocin; however, this study showed that a concentration of 500 µg/mL in an aqueous cream base was required to produce an activity equivalent to 256 µg/mL allicin liquid.

=====================

A six-month study, "They found it can cure MRSA within weeks"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3344325.stm

08/25/05

Dec. 24, 2003 BBC.com (Second article below: Mar. 19, 2004)

Garlic 'beats hospital superbug'

The ingredient which gives garlic its distinctive smell is the latest weapon in the battle to beat the hospital "superbug" MRSA.

University of East London researchers found allicin treated even the most antibiotic-resistant strains of the infection.

MRSA (Methecillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) causes an estimated 2,000 deaths in UK hospitals each year.

Researchers are now testing allicin products in a six-month study.

Dr Ron Cutler and his team discovered the effectiveness of allicin in laboratory tests five years ago.

They found it can cure MRSA within weeks.

It is even effective against the newer strains which cannot be treated by the "last line of defence" antibiotics Vancomycin and Glycopeptides.

Fatal infections

The team have developed a nasal cream, pills and soaps.

"The effect of the treatment was dramatic" - Deborah Brown, patient

Initial trials have proved effective, so researchers will now test them in a six-month study of 200 volunteers including healthcare workers and patients.

The scientists hope the products will be used by people working in hospitals so they can prevent MRSA being passed on to patients, as well as the patients themselves.

MRSA organisms can live harmlessly in humans, carried in the nasal passages and on the skin, but they can cause fatal infections in immune-suppressed patients, the elderly, the young and those with surgical implants.

Dr Cutler told BBC News Online: "My aim would be to firstly work to try and reduce the carriage of MRSA amongst healthcare workers.

"But we would also hope to use allicin treatments for patients themselves."

He added: "The trials we have conducted so far show that this formulation is highly effective against MRSA, and it could save many lives.

"MRSA is causing a genuine crisis in our hospital system in Britain and worldwide. Antibiotics are increasingly ineffective, but we do have a powerful natural ally.

"Plant compounds have evolved over millions of years as chemical defence agents against infection.

"Garlic has been used in medicine for centuries, and it should be no surprise that it is effective against this very modern infection."

'Incredibly painful'

Deborah Brown, 34, from Rainham in Kent, contracted MRSA after a major spinal operation in November 2000.

Painful wounds on her spine failed to heal for two years, despite using the antibiotics and creams currently available.

But within two months of using the allicin creams and pills, her MRSA had virtually cleared and the wounds had begun to heal.

She said: "The effect of the treatment was dramatic - I am making a good recovery - but it was really awful at the time.

"Having weeping wounds on my back that never healed was incredibly painful and I became increasingly depressed as the MRSA didn't respond to repeated courses of antibiotics.

"If my case helps to show that allicin works against MRSA then I am glad that something good might come of it."

The research is to be published in the Journal of Biomedical Science next year.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

PubMed Search:

Allicin, MRSA - one - it is posted above.

=====================

Google Search: Allicin, MRSA - several results, this is one:

It's just from a bulletin board post, however, it details a recent personal experience and also has some good links.

http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1171784

5/12/2008

Our Recovery From Flesh Eating MRSA

--------

From the source list:

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/eccmid15/abstract.asp?id=37436

European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases

15 European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases

Copenhagen/Denmark, April 2-5, 2005

Treatment of chronic MRSA infections using a novel aqueous extract of allicin (AB1000)

Abstract number: 1134_03_351

Cutler R.R., Josling P.D., Bennett N.J.

Excerpt:

. . .

Patients reported an improvement in their condition after 2 and 6 weeks treatment and the infections resolved in 3-4 months.

Although the timescales required for treatment may be longer than those normally required using antibiotics, the initial relief from weeping ulcers and pain was much quicker. It should be noted these the patients had been receiving unsuccessful treatment with antibiotics for months or years prior to treatment with AB1000.

A possible reason for the initial relief from symptoms could relate to the reported activity of garlic extracts to neutralise bacterial exoenzymes in vitro. This could account for the findings that patients got relief from their symptoms before the MRSA were fully removed from the lesion site.

============

A Google Search of "how to dress a MRSA lesion" brings up several interesting results.

-

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735

Personally, I'd likely see a dermatologist.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9890372

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18767345

Not ON us, but:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/30105.php

Natural approach?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1088893/MRSA-wiped--OREGANO-say-British-scientists.html

Specifically: Himalayan oregano oil.

Wash your clothes using detergent plus a scoop of oxyclean.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Marnie,

Great links. Thanks so much. And, yes, consulting with a dermatologist seems an excellent idea.

I so appreciate seeing that article about Himalayan oregano oil.

The first Mayo link answered my question as to if MRSA can move from a lesion into the body. Apparently, it can. And that is why I think systemic attention is needed as part of the treatment of the lesion (just my opinion, again, though).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735/DSECTION=symptoms

Excerpt:

. . .

" Sometimes the bacteria remain confined to the skin. But they can also penetrate into the body, causing potentially life-threatening infections in bones, joints, surgical wounds, the bloodstream, heart valves and lungs."

. . . .

-

wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Marnie too for the article of Himalayan Oregano. By looking at the picture, I do see those while I was traveling there.

This paragraph cracks me up:

"The variety is known as `bekaar ghaas,' meaning useless grass in Hindi as even their cows, goats and sheep refuse to eat the herb."

It show everything has purpose and we are just idiots. [Smile]

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wtl:
[QB] This is time I wish this forum would allow attachments of photos in the post.

It IS allowed.

David, I'm very sorry you are dealing with this. I would be very concerned .. as opposed to that doctor!!

You may need to go to the ER if it gets any worse. You have to stay ahead of the game.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PA should have taken a wound culture and checked for sensitivities at the lab.

What you have described does in fact sound like MRSA but still some strains respond better to different medications.

If the area is not looking better after 24hrs you may want to have it checked again. If it is looking worse, more redness, red streaks, feeling worse over all, anything like that and you should definitely see a doctor sooner.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is information about allicin treating MRSA.

Allimax, 100% Allicin Powder Capsules
http://www.iherb.com/Allimax-100-Allicin-Powder-Capsules-180-mg-30-Veggie-Caps/3418?at=0

-
Look at the product reviews, page 2.
quote:
We dealt with MRSA ourselves and have not had it return for any of us in 3 years.

-

The review provides links to more information about treating MRSA with allicin.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I'm glad Carol found that link so you can get right to it.

In addition to the capsules, you'll want to get the allicin cream, too:

Allimax, Cream with Allisure AC-23, 1.67 fl oz (50 ml)

http://www.iherb.com/Allimax-Cream-with-Allisure-AC-23-1-67-fl-oz-50-ml/13369?at=0

-

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't mean to alarm you, but my mom had mrsa. she also had a lot of other things going on, but it was the initial diagnosis which started the downhill spiral which she never recovered from.

get it checked out as soon as you can.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

So... Here's an update.

I went back and saw one of the physicians. To took one look and said it does not appear to be MRSA. A culture was taken Sunday but the results wont be back until tomorrow or Thursday.

He suspects shingles (exept it doesn't hurt), a herpes zoster infection, and I brought up the possibility of poison oak which is EVERYWHERE up here in the foothills. So he took another culture, had me stop the Bactrim, and started me on five days of Valtrex.

I'll give further updates.

--------------------
Dave

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Oh, my. While I hope it is not MRSA, Shingles is certainly nothing to laugh at, either. I thought that produced more of a bruised, blood under the skin appearance that can even wrap around the waist line.

Be sure to read up on Singles so that you can address it as aggressively and completely as possible. This can be very painful and can also last a long time . . . . so, you will need to stay ahead of that - perhaps even preventing that from happening.

Be sure to call your LLMD about this. Many here also take Valtrex (for HHV-6). Your LLMD may want you to stay on a longer course than what the doctor you saw today suggests.

If this is Singles, 5 days of Rx is not enough but they are probably waiting for the results of the test.

The allicin and allicin cream would still be a good idea. Reading some of the reviews on the cream page, it seemed to relieve pain for some.

Good luck.

-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep us posted, David! Glad you went back to the dr!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Thanks all. On the Lyme front, it's kind of interesting to note that no one at the walk-in clinic seemed taken aback over me being on long-term antibiotics. It's so totally rampant in this town. I know seven people in my profession who have chronic Lyme, and I'm relatively shy.

--------------------
Dave

karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take six allicin Dr. Z a day. Can you rife? in addition HH and Coptis works. You could discuss with Dr. Z and also stay on the herbs long term even after antibiotics.I heard tea tree oil is good and tea tree soap.
Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
david,

if you go to COMPUTER QUESTIONS, someone has posted there how to download photos and post here on the forum.

i haven't tried it; it's my goal to!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

David,

You should have your test results back by now. Was that MRSA or Shingles? Or . . . ? Did they possibly test it to see if from spider bite or maybe even for borrelia?

Is the rash gone? If not, take photos. And then look up "black widow" bite.

karenl has good suggestions. And, depending upon your weight, allicin capsule may have to be increased in number. I think the Hepapro allicin is simply the best in the world and I've tried them all (even Allimax):

-----------------------

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

web site: try www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro through www.hepapro.com

-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://www.badspiderbites.com/spider-bite-pictures/

Spider Bite Information

A very good index bar to the left of page (includes lyme, too).

--

And they also have a page on Shingles:

http://www.badspiderbites.com/shingles/

--

their page on MRSA:

http://www.badspiderbites.com/mrsa-methicillin-resistant-staphylococcus-aureus/

Text and a 10 minute video.

-

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad started with MRSA on his leg. He said it started out like a pimple, then looked like a spider bite. Within a day or two it was a painful boil. He had to be hospitalized and had IV Vancomycin for several months.

He got it from a hospital where my brother was staying.

For over a year, my parents kept passing MRSA back and forth. It was in their respiratory tracks, arms, hands. I couldn't go over to visit them for fear of bringing it back to my daughter who is sick with Lyme & Co.

I asked them to have the dog checked because I read that a woman kept getting reinfected by her cat. The cat harbored the bacteria in her nose.

My parent's dog eventually passed away, and the MRSA infection disappeared.

My mother just passed away. She had to have her lungs suctioned the week before and I asked for them to check for MRSA. They didn't find any.

The antibacterial soaps are good, but don't use them all the time. You wash away the acid mantle of the skin, exposing you to reinfection. It's a catch 22. If you have a pet, have them tested.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google the "herpes diet" if you have shingles. It should give you a list of foods with high arginine and high lysine.

You want to eat foods that are LOW in arginine and HIGH in lysine. Or take a Lysine supplement.

For example, I never eat nuts (high arginine) without including some dairy (high lysine) to balance it out.

This diet I believe has caused me to test negative for many viruses.

Also, with MRSA, studies show that green tea helps the antibiotics work better, and it helps bypass the resistance issues.

Green tea can cause a very few drugs to not work as well (so check that out as well), but in general, it causes some antibiotics to work better, and like I said, not as many issues with the bacteria forming resistance to the antibiotic when green tea is added.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is not getting better also look at the morgellons photos.Allicin would work as well.
Just to make sure you are not getting the wrong diagnosis, I don't want to worry you.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Thanks for your concern. As of Thursday I didn't ahve test results because they were cultures and ahd to grow. I'm leaning toward it being a spider bite because:
a.) It has actually gotten better, unlike MRSA
b.) It doesn't hurt, unlike shingles.

I'll call later today to see if they have results yet but it seems like the two more serious possibilities have more-or-less been ruled out. As it is, the reddening around it is almost gone and it has stopped draining.

--------------------
Dave

karenl
Member # 17753

thanks keebler, if you have no idea what it is
allicin is always an option. Dr. Z also sells an allicin spry for the skin. The smell is horrible but you can wrap a towel around , that helps.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement