LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Steriods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steriods
Madison
Member # 20405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was put on an antibiotic (Zithromax)for anaplasmosis and took it for 10 days before I developed an allergic reaction and had to go to the ER and got a shot of steriods. I have had severe allergic reactions to most antibiotics in the past.

They wanted to put me on prednisone but were concerned about putting me on it due to the anaplasmosis so they had me check with my Dr. which I did. He wants me on the prednisone for 10 days.

I think I have heard that steriods are not a good thing but he says I need the steriods to prevent a further reaction as the Zith will remain in my system for an additional 10 days.

I don't want to mess up any progress I may have made but I don't want the allergic reaction to get worse. Any thoughts?

Posts: 5 | From New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, you may not be able to have both things that you wish, at least not at this point.

If there are some effective abx that you can tolerate during prednisone treatment, that would help.

If you had a strong allergic reaction to the zith, the continued exposure as the drug leaves your system could make the reaction worse over time.

It is a terrible choice to make, but if I had to do it I think I would choose the prednisone, even as foul as I think that drug typically is. You may lose some of the gains you have made with treatment, but if the allergic reaction proves fatal you will have lost them all.

Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have an LLMD you trust, then go with what he says. I've had to take a short course of steroids while on abx also. Didn't hurt me any, but scared me to death!!!

I guess since zith stays in the system, he is probably right! With other abx, you could just stop them and take a few days of steroids, I would think.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think prednisone is suppressing the immune system and this is always a bad choice. But it is my personal opinion and I have none medical education.
Is there not any alternative to the zithro treatment? I also cannot tolerate antibiotics but can be treated very well with strong herbs and other things.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

It sure takes many sets of eyes and lots of brain power from different people to really get the full picture.

I missed the part with prednisone being suggested to PREVENT a further reaction (not just to treat the past one).

In that case, there are better alternatives such as another Rx, specific anti-spirochetal herbs, herbal support to lessen reaction or a combination.

Stinging Nettle is an excellent choice to help prevent allergy or lessen allergic reactions in many instances. And the steroid shot will remain in your body for weeks, or longer.

If this is to help recover from an allergic reaction in an emergency, steroids can save a life. But, as karen points out - there are other ways to avoid these reactions from here forward.

I hope your LLMD has good advice.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Quercetin might also be considered as you ask your LLMD about this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Stinging Nettle - 268 abstracts

=================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/stinging-nettle-urtica-dioica.html

STINGING NETTLE (Urtica dioica)

Excerpts:

. . .

WHAT IT DOES: Stinging nettle leaf is bitter in taste and cooling in action. It cleanses the blood. Nettle seed nourishes and removes toxins from the kidneys.

. . .

* Nettle leaf extracts reduce inflammation, in part, by suppressing the release of inflammatory cytokines.

They do this by blocking a chemical inducer known as NF-KappaB, which alters gene expresion. This may be one explanation for the beneficial efffects this herb has exhibited in rheumatoid arthritis (Riehemann et al., 1999).

* One set of in vitro experiments on live blood using extracts of stinging nettle leaf exhibited its ability to slow down the inflammatory cytokine response caused by endotoxins.

In the same experiments, when there was no endotoxin present, the nettle leaf actually stimulated an immune response. Researchers believed these results could explain the positive effects of this extract in the treatment of rheumatic diseases (Obertreis B et al., 1996).

- Full chapter at link above.

From ``The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook'' (Tillotson, et.al.)

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement