LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone experienced increased fatigue from Plaquenil?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone experienced increased fatigue from Plaquenil?
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I posted recently about how my fatigue seems to be worse than ever at 6 months into treatment.

I have been on mino for 6 months and zith for about 4.5 months. I was on Bactrim, but switched to plaquenil around a month ago.

I can't be sure, but I sense that my increased fatigue is due to plaquenil. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I was taking 400 mg Plaquneil every other day, and then reduced it to 200. Now, I am debating either further reducing or stopping the plaquneil completely until my next LLMD consult later this month.

I'd be very interested in the experiences of others with plaquenil, especially if you noticed enhanced fatigue.

My diagnoses are Lyme and Bart. I have some symptoms that my LLMD says suggest babesia.

Thanks!

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fatigue improved when I was on 200mg of plaquenil a day for one month; then when I moved up to 400mg a day, I actually felt worse overall. Don't know if that is any help or not.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sutherngrl,

Did you stay on that dose and eventually overcome the fatigue, or did you back down?

It would be helpful to know if you stuck with it, and if so, did you ultimately benefit?

Thanks.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started having all kinds of weird side effect and my doc had me stop it altogether. I have only been off of it for 3 days.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! That sounds exactly like what happened to me with Bactrim:

I seemed to make a lot of progress with one pill a day, but when my LLMD had me up it to twice a day, I got way too many symptoms and then stopped it altogether.

The plaquenil was supposed to "replace" the Bactrim in my treatment. I only reduced the the dose about a week ago, but still feel so fatigued that I may just stop it and rely on the mino and zith for a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and I hope you get over those weird side effects.

Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

cottonbrain,

If you come back to this post, can you tell me what ultimately happened? Did you gut through the plaquenil and eventually get positive results, or did you change your regimen?

If you continued, how long did it take?

At this point, I think I am going to stop the plaquenil. I'm not convinced that the pain and discomfort it is causing now will benefit me in the long term, and it's sure throwing a wrench in the short term.

Chaya
Member # 12880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been studying about Plaquenil--the pharmaceutical literature. It can suppress the bone marrow's function of making new cells.

In other words, it can decrease numbers of white blood cells (for immunity), platelets (for blood clotting), and red blood cells (causing anemia).

That would make you very tired. You might also feel chilled and notice that your fingernails are pale.

I would stop taking it. But that's just me.

Posts: 13 | From Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement