LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Salt and vitamin C treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Salt and vitamin C treatment
LPPT
Member # 20603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LPPT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started this at 7:00 this morning, has anyone else tried it and what were your results?

I can not find a Dr. so I am researching and treating myself.

Posts: 36 | From Dallas GA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LPPT,

I have been doing it for 3yrs with great success. I use sea salt not sodium chloride tablets. I also use Ester C powder with bioflavinoids.

I started with 1/4tsp salt and 1/4tsp vit c per day and ramped up slowly according to how I was herxing. Have you seen

www.lymephotos.com

These were my results. What form of salt are you taking? Best to take it slow and ramp up slowly and make sure you drink lots of water. Also you can join lymestrategies as these are the people doing the salt/c,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glm~

Does this help with both Lyme and co-infections?

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyPW8
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyPW8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am doing salt/c. I use himalayan pink salt and food based vitamin c. I started out at 1/4 teaspon of salt and occasionally get in 1/2 teaspoon. I know it is working because I herx so bad.

I do believe the protocol helps with all coinfections. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Amy

Diagnosed April 29, 2007.

Posts: 136 | From Joplin, MO | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Amy. It sucks that it makes you Herx, but at least you know it's working.

Like you, I Herx pretty well from the salt. I do 8gm per day.

I go off when I Rife as it's all to much at once. Once my Rife Herx subsides, I'm right back on the Sea Salt.

Hoping to turn the corner soon as I am almost at the 4 month mark with Rife that Brian Rosner says should be a turning point for most.

I'm hoping with the Salt/C combo, I should be there soon as I've been doing Salt/C for about 6-7 months now.

Lymetwister

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MorningSong,

It has definitely helped with my co-infections as well,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gael, did you ever test positive for any co-infections officially?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LPPT
Member # 20603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LPPT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of my anxiety comes from being unable to find a doctor in my area that believes Lymes exist here in Ga. I also belong to Keiser. I don't think they believe in it either or will be willing to do any extensive testing to diagnose me.

When you see your life dwindling to a bed and have to treat yourself with home remedies it is very scary.

Posts: 36 | From Dallas GA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Seek,

I tested positive by an LLMD in 1999 for Bart, babs and erlichiosis. I was also CDC positive for Lyme. This particular LLMD would not treat with just a clinical dx.

He also found a bullseye on top of my head after 25 yrs of being bitten and took a picture of it.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

LPPT
Member # 20603

I had the bullseye under my arm went away after first round of Doxy, now I have no proof just a whining middle aged women. humiliating!
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

LPPT,

First, while the doctors may try to beat us down, it is essential to know that if you have lyme you are not "just a whining middle aged woman."

Lyme is very serious, indeed. You had the proof. You need no more if you see a proper LLMD who knows what the bullseye means. And, the doctor notes from when you first got the doxy will document that bulls eye rash. You do not need any more lyme tests, however, you need to be assessed for other tick-borne infections.

Were you assessed when you were first on doxy? How long was your doxy tx and did you also take other RX (as doxy is not enough alone)?

I do hope you can find a good LLMD who is ILADS educated. You will have to go outside of Kaiser, most likely but check with your local lyme support group.

---

Did you read all the instructional materials first regarding Salt/C?

I assume you've been recently checked and do not have:

abnormal heart rhythm,

diabetes,

kidney dysfunction, or

eye pressure problems

Increased salt would be contraindicated, if so, and could be very dangerous.

These are common tests so if you've not had them done, your MD may be inclined to do them anyway.

Now, if for some reason the increased salt is not for you, there are certainly other ways to address lyme if you have no doctor. But it would be so great if you could get to a LLMD for a full assessment so you know what you are dealing with.

In addition to your instructional materials for Salt/C, be sure to cover all the bases mentioned here so that this will be a safe experience for you:

http://kurtsprotocol.blogspot.com/2007/02/cautions-about-saltc.html

----

After going through the preparatory reading, Gael is a wealth of information here, so be sure to be in contact with her if you have questions.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Sea salt is in a highly charged state it is not static and will not store in your kidneys, but pass through you as natural salts are meant to do.

It also has many valuable minerals which Lyme patients need. The adrenals are greatly benefited by the sea salt and vitamin C as well. Many of us are salt deficient.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

LPPT
Member # 20603

I have been keeping my own notes and labs, and charting my symptoms for when I find a Dr.

Keiser is practically paperless all labs come to me in emails.

Keebler, at this point it doesn't matter if the salt makes me sick, most of my symptoms are a drunken fog that keeps me in the bed 90% of the time I am nothing without a functional brain.

If no treatment will clear the fog then whats the use.

I work for a community message board as the advertising manager, I produce online videos, I cover community activities for our local on site news, I am active in my community.

I was vibrant, active, fun, creative, and very young for my age.

I learn and embrace new internet technology everyday.

The site I work for is one of the largest longest lived and most active hyper local social networks in the country.

Now I can hardly type, read, remember where I put my clip board, I hate when people ask how I am doing.

The point is the salt can not do any more damage to me than the disease has.

LPPT
Member # 20603

Keebler I took the time to read the article, some good points there, I will proceed cautiously, this is an ayyempt on part to try and get my bacteria load down while searching for a LLMD.
glm1111
Member # 16556

LPPT,

It's table salt and processed salt that's poison. We are 75% saline very close to the composition of sea salt.

Unfortunately we as a society have been scared away from this vital nutrient by the AMA because of their lack of understanding.

You may also want to check out www.humaworm.com and make sure you also take a look at "our other cleanses. They have specific herbs for Lyme as well as parasites.

Parasites and worms play a MAJOR role in Lyme disease and need to be eradicated. Also coconut oil is helpful for brain fog www.coconutoil.com

You might also want to seek out a ND (naturopathic doctor) Hang In There, you can get better,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

LPPT
Member # 20603

I am using sea salt.
I am a little concerned I am bloating and swelling right now.
Not peeing much my abdomen is swelling.

glm1111
Member # 16556

How much sea salt are you taking and are you using EQUAL AMOUNTS of vitamin C? Also you have to DRINK A LOT OF WATER so it can circulate. I get bloated sometimes as well. When you get diarrhea it can be a sign of die off.

I would stop the salt right now and just drink a lot of water until you start peeing more. I would also read the

www.lymephotos.com info

Also go to lymestrategies, these are the people with Lyme doing salt/c

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

LPPT
Member # 20603

That is what I am doing.
I am also craving sweets, and seem to not want any meat or protein is this normal?

j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read an article a couple of yrs. ago saying cutting out table salt didn't even help much for those with a problem. It may have been in "Salt Your Way to Health". Either way, that's a good book to read. You can find it on Amazon.

Btw, I can't remember if you have to take the salt and C at the same time. My C (ARG)says you should take it on an empty stomach. Is that how yours is?

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Your craving for sweets can be a symptom of yeast and or other infection. The sea salt should help balance your cravings because it is alkaline. How much sea salt are you doing?

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

hobokinite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hobokinite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where in GA are you? My doc can treat you. Email me, Mike.

And, I do believe Salt / C is greeat!

Posts: 462 | From Newnan, GA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LPPT
Member # 20603

I am taking about a 1/2 teaspoon an hour.
I have gotten a little over a gallon of water down
so far, I am done with the salt today and will continue with the water until bed.
I am a little behind on the C

I just took a pill for yeast about 8 days ago.
I was thinking that yeast might be the answere.

glm1111
Member # 16556

1/2 teaspoon an hour!!!!....there is approx 5,000mg in a tsp...You are taking whey too much to start with. How did you ever come up with that dose? That is too much to start with.

I started with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4tsp PER DAY vitamin C. What kind of vitamin C are you taking? You have to take the salt and the c at the same time.

How many 1/2 tsp did you take today? Are you going according to your weight?

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

LPPT
Member # 20603

Hubby said it was too much also.
I will cut back tomorrow.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

LPPT,

Yes, please follow Gael's advice. It is very important to read her dosing again and stay within that. She is extremely knowledgeable about this.

Be sure to record your doses so that you know exactly when and how much, so that you don't repeat a dose. You might use a little notebook to help keep track, keeping it in the exact same place all the time. It is vital to be exact with the dose and not go over.

It might also be helpful to keep the same measuring spoon separate and with your notebook so that you don't use another measure sometime by mistake.

good luck.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
Gael. Your so right about the parasites being a huge issue. Maybe even the Main issue.

I have seen many people not understand how to do the Salt C Protocol. For sure they do not know how to start it. The instructions are not clear out there sadly.
I was wondering if you could write something up in a post or something so that it can be referred to by those starting or wanting to try it.

I had a hard time myself figuring out how to start out. Even if you go by the recommend dose that is too much. The recommended dose is more like a goal but they do not say that. I think you could help a lot of people .

I can not believe how much the person in this threads started out with. That is concerning even though I feel this protocol is safe it has to be done with care.

Thanks

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LPPT,

I have done the salt/C protocol myself...and saw some success, though I later chose to mix it up and move on to other things. So since I've done it, I have nothing against it and am glad for the people it helps.

I consider myself one of the people that did benefit from it.

BUT---it scares me that you say you were swelling and bloated. If I were you, I would stop completely for like a week or so and re-evaluate this. I never had any swelling, and if I would have, I would've been scared and stopped.

To me that is just not a good sign. This is a risky protocol and some people have had kidney damage, and others just bad news stuff happen because their bodies were not meant to handle so much salt. I call these people "salt-sensitive individuals."

Some people can handle this just fine, others really should not be on this protocol because it is dangerous for them. I suppose there is no way of knowing what kind of person you are with it in advance.

I think you should read up on both sides (the people who like it vs. the people who had a bad experience) so you can be informed of the warning signs of if this is not the right thing for you. I wouldn't know the warning signs since I did okay on it.

So please please be careful and don't hurt yourself!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ps---i just noticed you were taking a lot. Maybe in smaller doses it will be okay....but I think my advice still stands and be aware of what your body is saying.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can find info and links to video's and website regarding this protocol. From what I understand many stop it before it has time to work. So expect to use it long term to see results.

Info/links: http://truthaboutlymedisease.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1044

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
She R Lock
Member # 18823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for She R Lock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excess sodium can be VERY dangerous!!

SEA SALT has 2350 mg of Sodium in a Tsp

The recommendation for sodium is 2400 mg daily,check any food label.

Too much sodium can cause problems with fluid retention, electrolytes, heart and kidneys, stroke, gastric cancer, high blood pressure and osteoporosis.

Anyone consuming excess sodium should be monitored by a health professional

I've been in touch with ILADS and they don't promote this regimen

--------------------
Sherlock

Posts: 31 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LPPT
Member # 20603

I have cut back, and I am drinking lots of water, I am peeing about every 20 minutes now and the swelling is going down, I went back and read, I took too much yesterday.
glm1111
Member # 16556

LPPT,

I get abdominal bloating sometimes from the protocol, but you really don't want to start off with that kind of dosing. Sometimes it is just the pathogens dying off. I also remember seeing something that GiGi has posted about that as being a symptom of herxing/dieoff.

LPPT, Are you speaking of swelling of the extremities or just your tummy? Sea salt is water soluble so just keep drinking water for a couple days and you should be fine.

When you start back up PLEASE start slowly and ramp up slowly. Even though 1/4 tsp PER DAY doesn't seem like much, it gives your body a chance to adjust.

A lot of us are actually salt deficient and can benefit greatly from this protocol, you need to ramp up slowly so your body can adjust. I ramped up 1/4 tsp each at a time of sea salt and vitamin c according to how I was herxing.

Sea salt is in a highly charged state it is not static and will not store in your kidneys, but pass through you as natural salts are meant to do. This is a very powerful protocol if done correctly.

Springshowers,

I have to give that some thought. I am very conservative when it comes to any protocol, so I am just going by my own personal experience as far as dosing. It is true that people that have success with this are people who do it long term.

There are people that have had pathogens exit within a week or two. Just keep in mind that we are 75% saline and it is very close to the composition of sea salt. Also, make sure you eat a lot of potassium rich foods to balance out your electrolytes.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement