LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Share your lyme story with Obama

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Share your lyme story with Obama
maritzap
Member # 11146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maritzap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of our San Diego support group members has made contact with a Barack Obama volunteer who is also partly responsible for getting the movie UNDER OUR SKIN shown in San Diego.

This is an excerpt from their email.

``Hearing your story yesterday when we talked, helped me to be even more inspired to bring the message of Lyme Disease and Health Care Reform to as many people will listen.

I encourage you to help bring to light the plight of Lyme patients. This is a once in a lifetime moment when we can share our health care stories. The Obama administration is listening and they want to help. Please visit
http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/healthcarestory

to share your story and take the time to encourage all Lyme suffers in your association to do the same and then forward this message on to more Lyme sufferers.

The more Lyme stories received the more likely they will get recognition at the federal level. Lyme disease so poignantly illustrates all that is wrong with health care in America.''

Regardless of your political opinions, this is an opportunity to get extensive media coverage about LYME Disease, which can only be a benefit to those currently suffering, and hopefully prevent the future suffering of others.
Maritza

Posts: 75 | From San Diego, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm going to take advantage of this OPPORTUNITY!

3-23-09, I went to obama's health conference in des moines, iowa where we met the director of the health movement; can't remember her title, but i posted about it that day...

anyway, i had planners find someone from washington dc, her staff, and i gave him 2 pages of things i would have addressed that day there IF i were called.

when talking to him about lyme disease war controversies, he knew quite a lot based upon his answers, was very kind, considerate, and said he'd give my comments to his boss, the director!

so again, THEY ARE AWARE OF LYME CONTROVERSIES; let's try again folks.

CONN. LYME BILL WAS SIGNED BY GOV. JUNE 5; opportunity is knocking.

let's work on our HR 1179 IN CONGRESS to get it scheduled to be on their AGENDA to finally be discussed/cussed after 10.5 years in DC !! [Smile] xox

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too hope more people are giving the voice to the process.

This administration holds the best chance probably to pass a favorable bill on a federal level.

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

well, i sent my 9 page letter tonight!

i cheated; i used what i sent pj langhoff for her 2nd book of it's all in your head series and just updated it a little!

but it got sent! [Smile]

do you have anything you wrote up earlier you can send as is, or just update it to the present time? hoping all of you do this!

when you go to the site, after you send it; it asks for a donation! i wasn't prepared for that, but you don';t have to give. betty

luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shared my story and hope something is done.

But I was annoyed at the solicitation for money at the end. I already contribute too much to our government. If they are short on funds they need only to cut out their own corruption and whalla! all our abused tax funds will become available.

We could probably pay off the national debt by just simply managing better the funds we already pay. And every single politician should be audited ASAP to see who else has not paid their taxes.

I blame our fallen economy, not on CEO's but on the politicians. CEO's are in business to make money and lots of it. That is their sole purpose in life.

Politicians, on the other hand, have been elected by the people and are supported financially by the people for the sole purpose of protecting our interests. That includes regulating big and small business.

But they have not protected our interests. They have been bought out by lobbyists for big business. We are a nation run by crooks and theives.

It doesn't matter which party is in power. Once they hit D.C., they are become the same beast.

When Pres Bush proposed the first bailout and 85% of the american people voiced opposition to the bailout, we had two men running for election to the presidential office.

Commonsense says at least 1 of those two candidates would have jumped on the bandwagon against the bailout just to get a large portion of that 85% vote. But neither candidate did that. They both backed the president on the bailout.

I knew right then that we no longer have control of our country. You can bet we bailed someone out alright, but it wasn't us! Someone else is pulling the strings and our presidents are just puppets.

How on earth did anyone ever think the little guy was going to bailout the big guy????? That is like two parents losing their jobs and then looking to their small children for bailouts. Huh?!

sigh....I'm really serious about this. We have lost our country to someone unidentified at this point in time. I shudder to think what lies ahead.

All the same, I did share my lyme story just in case someone can really help us.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonsnotlymes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonsnotlymes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think this was intended to be a political thread.

I am going to submit my story today. I believe we can get this done.

Posts: 103 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No lemon, you are right. It was not intended to be political and neither is my response. After sharing my story, the solicitation of my money by the Obama website set me off. Period.

If they really want to help, stop exploiting us!

--------------------

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if the story is submitted if we don't fill out the donation section?

I entered my story and hit "submit," and was taken to the 2nd screen which does not (as far as I can see) have an option to not donate.

So I can't tell if my story went in or not? I did not hit "submit" on the 2nd screen, as I do not chose to donate at this time.

If anyone knows how to be sure our story does in even if our $$ doesn't, please let me know!

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I emailed my above question to the website "contact us." I'll update if/when I get a response.)
Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maritzap
Member # 11146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maritzap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am forwarding the response about the DONATION QUESTION
Donation is not required.

"I am the member from the San Diego support group who is working to promote the
Under Our Skin movie here in San Diego. Noel is the other person who just
happens to also volunteer for the Obama Health Care Reform Project. I
personally have Lyme and Noel's has a close loved one that has Lyme. We had
just both happened to make contact with Open Eye Pictures and our local theatres
soon together, and because of this miraculous timing we were able to get the
movie shown here locally!! We have since become new friends brought together
to pull a miracle off in only 3 weeks time. Our goal is to fill every seat for
each showing for all 7 days!!! We are looking at filling approximately 6000
seats! A hefty goal, but since each of our individual goals to get the movie
booked here in San Diego happened....we are confident if we work together we can
fill all the seats!!

Now in regards to the topic at hand...SHARE YOUR STORY WITH OBAMA...I can assure
you that you do not have to make a donation in order to submit your story!
Please understand that Noel is an amazing new connection that can help us to
make a huge impact nationwide!!!

Here is what Noel says in response to what "overman74" posted earlier:

"You do not need to make a donation to share your story. They continue to raise
money to fund efforts to ensure that congress does not pass a watered down
version of health care reform. The plan that Obama would like to see is not
true universal health care (some call it single payer) program like the Canadian
system. I heard an LA Times reporter call it a hybrid program - one that builds
on our existing foundation of employer based insurance coverage. The most
critical element of his plan is what he is calling an insurance exchange. This
is merely a collection of insurance options that all people have the freedom to
choose from. Pre-existing condition exclusions would not be allowed under any
plan and insurance companies could not charge sick people more for their
insurance as the currently do now. The government would also offer a "public
insurance plan" that would be not for profit unlike the other insurance carriers
which are for profit companies. The thinking is that an efficient public
insurance option that people have to pay into would force private insurance
companies to be more competitive and ultimately lower medical costs. The
"public option" is in a sense single payer health care. But the President does
not want to tell everyone that they have to choose that plan. The people that
are happy with their health coverage as it is, get to keep it the same. That
eliminates the fear of half of the people in the country that their choice of
doctors and hospitals is somehow at risk. The insurance companies are going to
fight the "public option" with everything they have. They know that they will
not be able to compete with government run non profit insurance. Right now it
is the private insurance companies that run the show - the foxes guarding the
hen house. And they finance the campaigns of many of our Congressmen and women,
republicans and democrats. So, Congress may be willing to cave and send a bill
to the President that does not reform much at all. That is what I want to make
sure does not happen which is why I am working to support the President's vision
of health care reform. This must be reform that is in the peoples' best
interest not the insurance companies. I hope that helps a bit." -Noel

So, I urge you to please consider sharing your personal experience in regards to
Lyme Disease and your personal thoughts, opinions, etc. on the ENTIRE lyme
situation. Anything YOU feel is important for Obama to know... Political
situation between IDSA and ILADS, your experience with finding a doctor to care
for you, diagnosis & treatment issues, lack of testing, your medical
coverage...or lack there of, etc. Obama truly does want to hear what is really
going on!!! THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO SPEAK UP!!! Regardless of your political
beliefs...Obama needs to hear from EVERY single lymie and their loved ones!!!"

Posts: 75 | From San Diego, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Thanks, maritzap.

I wish the website made it clear that a submission has been accepted before redirecting. That was my concern. Usually, you get some sort of confirmation page or email.

I haven't heard back from my query, but I feel more optimistic that my story was accepted based on your post.

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

maritzap

First, thank you for all you have done with the film and thanks to Noel. Your efforts are appreciated.

I know it is easy to hate the big bad insurance companies, but it is a misguided anger and the statement about medical costs coming down if the insurance companies have government competition is inaccurate. Insurance companies don't establish medical care costs. The doctors and the pharmacutical companies do that. Insurance companies have tried to control those costs by limiting how much they will pay for services.

Insurance companies have to file a request with each state any and every time they want to raise their premiums and THE STATE determines whether or not the increase is warranted. Not the insurance company.

People do not realize how regulated the insurance industry is. Heavily regulated and they can't breathe in or out without the state's permission.

Government insurance is not going to be considered competition to the insurance companies. As an example, we already have government insurance in the form of The National Flood Insurance Plan, Assigned Risk Auto, Fair Plan Home insurance, medicare, medicaid and some states have state run workers compensation programs. Most of these programs are very limited in their coverage and are for risks that private insurance companies will not write. No one considers it to be competition. Nor are these programs anywhere near the quality of coverage provided by private insurance.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

mari, could you possibly edit what you posted of your leter?

those of us w/severe neuro can't read it at all the zip zag of a full row of text and a few words next line and doing that all the way down the page.

Betty's suggested POSTING GUIDELINES . many of us have neuro lyme where we can NOT read long solid block text and be able to comprehend and read it as is.

please edit your post by CLICKING PAPER/PENCIL ICON to right of your name. that opens up BOTH subject line and body text.

now please break up your WORDY SENTENCES into one sentence paragraphs. Then hit ENTER KEY ``TWICE`` after each paragraph; we need that space for comprehension.

then go to left hand corner and mark box to receive ALL REPLIES, and click EDIT SEND

we thank you for helping us; [Wink] otherwise, we will SOB, SCROLL ON BY, since we can't read to help you. If I see posts like this, I SOB them; to hard on me.

thank you!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement