LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does anyone have a good treatment idea for Nausea?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone have a good treatment idea for Nausea?
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having nausea more and more often. From medications and just from eating or drinking . It is getting worse lately and I wondered if anyone has ideas that would help me feel better in the tummy?

I have not found anything great that helps... much...

All ideas appreciated.
Thank you very much

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry, I know how awful this can be. What use to work for me most of the time was ginger. You can get it in tea or whole or minced in bottles or as a candy or sliced in jars, etc.

I'm not a real ginger fan, but it really did help.

I also practically lived on Pepto Bismal. I wouldn't recommend that, but it can help with nausea if used cautiously.

I've also heard others say that salty chips helped. I like that idea! [Smile]

Good luck,
M

Oh... and be certain that you are eating with your medications, even though you may read not to. You are in this for the long haul and it is important to protect your tum!

Oh... and another thing you may want to look into is something call 'leaky gut'. This can cause all sorts of tum issues. BTW, do you have Bart?

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking ginger root capsules by Solaray and they seem to help. Solaray is sold at my local health food store....it isn't an expensive brand.

When I would get nauseous, I didn't like the taste of ginger, so the capsules helped.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi There. Thanks for the replies.

I have ginger tablets and have tried them but they do not help.
I like the tea idea and usually the Hot tea is something that helps the most but when it gets to a certain point nothing seems to help.

I then just get really faint and have to just lay on my bed and just wait and hope for it to pass or reduce enough to try something.

Pepto bismol is not something that helps either and I really do not think it has good stuff in it to add to my system.

I know I have Leaky Gut. I have for a long time and I do a lot of things and have books I follow that are supposed to help treat and work best with this issue. I really think it can be healed.

The problem is that when I am on abx or other meds that are pretty strong I end up backsliding.

I am eating something with my meds and I agree . !!!

Yes I have Bart and Babs too..and the mystery bug issue.

WHY??? What were you thinking??

I am going to try some other teas besides chamomile like ginger and maybe peppermint.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm there has to be other things??
Maybe not : (

When I get nauseous it seems that my fatigue and pain also increases too so it is really frustrating. It near feels like a flare of sorts. Know what I mean? It is not "just" nauseous.

Thanks for your help.. !!

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear springshowers,
I know exactly where you are coming from! I am not sure about having Bart, but it is possible for me. Gut issues are a major symptom besides fatigue and body pain. [Frown] Have you given up gluten? The Celiac was certainly a factor.

A microscopic amount of gluten makes me violently ill. Lactose makes me sick as well.
When I accidentally consume gluten, (which happens periodically due to living with two gluten-eaters), Promethazine is the only thing that works. I had my gallbladder out in 2003, but wonder if there is something still wrong there. The same symptoms still bother me off and on constantly. [confused]

I went to the site gallbladderattack.com, and I was amazed at what I read. So many things seem to bother me still, and many of those were on the avoid list. This included gluten-containing grains. Pork and beans were some other items that often do not set well. If you still have your gallbladder, and get pain in the upper-right quadrant below the ribcage, suffer from reflux and severe nausea, you may have gallbladder trouble.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Candida Overgrowth (2006)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Gallbladder Disease (removed- 2003)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Ovarian Cysts (5 in less than 10 months - 2000)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also check out dysautonomia and POTS (post orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). Maybe those things can explain this.

Like if your blood pressure suddenly drops really low, maybe it just makes you feel really sick-ish all of a sudden.

One way to help it is to take electrolytes. There are some good brands out there that are a liquid mixture and you add one teaspoon (or tbsp?) to your water.

Or, you could put 1/4 tsp of sea salt in a glass of water or capsule....IF you are not prone to heart disease or salt sensitivity.

If you do have this condition, Midodrine is a drug used commonly to treat it.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring,

I find if I get nausea it's usually due to the dieoff of toxins. I do a salt/c flush in the morning and as soon as I go to the bathroom the nausea leaves.

A clear warm water enema can help also. Keeping the colon clean is a must! I also use a lot of crushed ginger from a jar in my cooking. Hope you feel better,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to add Gingerale to the list. That one I really like. I dilute it way down with water and some sort of juice, usually cranberry.

Yes, peppermint tea works too, especially if you mix it with a ginger tea... yumm.

Leaky Gut can be a bugger to get rid of. Are you using L-glutamine to help heal the gut? That can work magic for some.

I ask about Bart, because a big red flag for Bart IS having gastrointestinal issues. SO, you most likely have a few things going on here.

Also, as mentioned above... you may want to look into food allergies. Many who do this specific testing are actually amazed at what they find they are allergic to.

With modifications to their diets, the gut begins to heal and they can start to add the foods back in a bit at a time.

And of course, just the diseases themselves can make one feel very nauseous, weak, tired, dizzy, fatigued, etc.

When this happens to me, it is usually because I am pushing myself too hard and have not been eating properly. Very close to a hypoglycemic reaction.

You have many things to consider here. And it certainly could be a combination of two or more reasons.

Because you seem to be after the least invasive approach, try the the teas first, then diet modifications. Then perhaps add in the L-glutamine. And if all else fails, you may want to look into the food allergy testing and hypoglycemia leads?

I do hope you can find your way through this. M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try over the counter Liquid Ematrol.

Works wonders......

Just don't eat or drink for 15 min. before or after taking it, so it works it's best.

Amazing stuff and cheap.. Get the generic stuff if you can. Rite Aid is where I find it the cheapest.

LT

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
w8nNw8n
Member # 20666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for w8nNw8n     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried peppermint oil?

It works great for nausea! That said.... realize that excessive doses could have adverse effects.... so go easy - do not over-do. A good food grade pure oil should be available at your local health store and $5- $10 should be a lifetime supply. Just a drop or 2 added to a couple of oz of water. It is also the best thing I've found to dab on & stop itch from a mosquito bite.

Here are a couple of articles- one alt med & the other professional medical journal/research. Another consideration is the mention of p450 in the med journal article. Some of our Rxs do utilize the 450 pathway. I am not remembering right now which.... Zith & Flagyl?? -possibly.

Anyway - the key is MODERATION. Used in moderation it is an excellent remedy.

First the alt med approach article:

http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/peforna.html

Properties

Peppermint is a cooling, relaxing herb that contains properties that help ease inflamed tissues, calm muscle spasms or cramps, and inhibit bacteria and microorganisms. It also has pain-relieving and infection-preventing qualities.

American peppermint oil contains 50-78% menthol, while English peppermint oil has a menthol content of 60-70%. Japanese peppermint oil contains 85% menthol. Peppermint and its oils help with intestinal function.

Peppermint also contains vitamins A and C, magnesium, potassium, inositol, niacin, copper, iodine, silicon, iron, and sulfur.

The compounds of the essential oil have antispasmodic properties that reduce spasms of the colon and intestinal tract and relax the stomach muscles. Peppermint has a soothing effect on the lining and muscles of the colon, which helps to relieve diarrhea and spastic colon.

Menthol acts to stimulate the stomach lining. Its cooling properties soothe the stomach and ease stomach pain. Peppermint oil is popular in the treatment of motion and sea sickness and nausea associated with pregnancy. It acts as an anesthetic to the stomach wall and eases vomiting and nausea. An account on the effects of peppermint on nausea appeared in the September 1997 issue of the Journal of Advanced Nursing, in which gynecological patients were given peppermint oil to counter post-operative nausea. The patients reported less nausea and required fewer drugs to treat the nausea.

Aromatherapy and peppermint

The essential oil of peppermint is a pale yellow or greenish liquid that is made by distilling the flowering herb. When inhaled, the oil can reduce fever, relieve nausea and vomiting, improve digestion, and soothe the respiratory system.

Various studies have been performed on the oil's ability to improve the sense of taste and smell and improve concentration and mental acuity when inhaled.

The oil blends well with other essential oils such as benzoin, rosemary, lavender, marjoram, lemon, eucalyptus, and other mints. Essential oils are available at many health food stores or through a qualified aromatherapist.

Peppermint essential oil can be used in several ways: inhaled, rubbed on reflexology points on the bottom of the feet, diffused into the air, or as a therapeutic bath. Below are some applications for the use of peppermint essential oil:

Steam inhalation for congestion relief: A few drops of the essential oil of peppermint are placed in a large bowl of hot water. The person should cover his or her head with a towel, lean over the bowl, and inhale the steam.

Motion sickness: A few drops of essential oil should be places on a tissue and inhaled. Headaches: A few drops can be placed on a cool, wet towel and used as a compress on the forehead. Or, massaged into the neck, back, temples, and/or forehead.

Digestion: Several drops of diluted oil massaged on the stomach or the pure oil rubbed onto the bottoms of the feet.

Breath freshener: Several drops placed on the tongue.

Therapeutic bath: Several drops of diluted oil placed into a tepid bath to relieve stomach complaints, nasal congestion, headache, or menstrual cramps.

If essential oil is not available, a bath can be made by adding to the water a cloth bag filled with several handfuls of dried or fresh peppermint leaves.

As with any essential oil, caution should be taken when using it. Essential oils are highly concentrated and should be diluted with a vegetable oil prior to external use to prevent adverse reactions, as some people are allergic to peppermint or its essential oil.

The oil may cause a skin reaction if the dosage is excessive. Avoid contact with the eyes.

Precautions

Extreme caution should be used when administering to children under five years of age as the menthol can cause a choking reaction in young children.

Peppermint oil should not be applied to the faces of infants or small children.

The essential oil of peppermint should not be ingested unless under professional supervision.

Pure menthol or pure peppermint should not be ingested.

Peppermint should not be used in conjunction with homeopathic treatment.

http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/peppermint

Author Info: Jennifer Wurges, Teresa Odle, The Gale Group Inc., Gale, Detroit, Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine, 2005

Ann's NOTE: In 1991 I was experiencing extreme nausea and dizziness caused by chemical sensitivity. While visiting a friend (who was an acupuncturist but also did massage), I got relief.

By the second time this happened, I recognized the smell of peppermint. Researching this phenomena I discovered that peppermint was considered a way to deal with nausea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

source: medical journal/ Medscape.com Am Fam Physician. 2007;75:1027-1030.

April 13, 2007 -- Peppermint oil is effective in treating digestive disorders and other conditions including headaches, although high dosages may cause adverse effects, according to the results of a review reported in the April 1 issue of American Family Physician.

"The medicinal use of peppermint and other mint plants probably dates back to the herbal pharmacopoeia of ancient Greece, where peppermint leaf traditionally was used internally as a digestive aid and for management of gallbladder disease; it also was used in inhaled form for upper respiratory symptoms and cough," write Benjamin Kligler, MD, MPH, from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University in New York, and Sapna Chaudhary, DO, from the Beth Israel Continuum Center for Health and Healing in New York. "Peppermint oil, which is extracted from the stem, leaves, and flowers of the plant, has become popular as a treatment for a variety of conditions, including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), headache, and non-ulcer dyspepsia."

Specific applications of note are as follows:

Peppermint leaf and oil have a long history of use for digestive disorders.
Enteric-coated peppermint oil is a safe alternative to effectively reduce some IBS symptoms, recent evidence suggests, although some evidence is conflicting (evidence rating, B).
Peppermint oil combined with caraway oil appears moderately effective in treating nonulcer dyspepsia (evidence rating, B).
Peppermint oil applied topically may effectively treat tension headache (evidence rating, B).
Peppermint oil has relaxant effects on smooth muscle. When given via enema, it has been shown to be modestly effective in relieving colonic spasm in patients undergoing barium enemas (evidence rating, B).
Although peppermint oil is well tolerated at the commonly recommended dosage, it may cause significant adverse effects at higher dosages. Common adverse effects include allergic reactions, heartburn, perianal burning, blurred vision, nausea, and vomiting. Interstitial nephritis and acute renal failure are rare.

Because peppermint oil may inhibit the cytochrome P450 1A2 system, it may interact with drugs metabolized via this system.

Peppermint oil is contraindicated in patients with hiatal hernia, severe gastroesophageal reflux, and gallbladder disorders and should be used with caution in pregnant and lactating women.

The recommended dosage is 0.2 to 0.4 mL of peppermint oil 3 times daily in enteric-coated capsules for adults, and 0.1 to 0.2 mL of peppermint oil 3 times daily for children older than 8 years.

Cost is approximately $24 to $32 for a 1-month supply.

"Peppermint oil should not be used internally or on or near the face in infants and young children because of its potential to cause bronchospasm, tongue spasms, and, possibly, respiratory arrest," the authors conclude. "However, the amount of peppermint in over-the-counter medications, topical preparations, and herbal teas is likely safe in pregnant and lactating women and in young children."

The authors have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Am Fam Physician. 2007;75:1027-1030.

Clinical Context

Peppermint has been used as a medicinal substance for thousands of years. Most modern preparations of peppermint use its oil, which usually is provided with an enteric coating to prevent gastroesophageal reflux. This oil contains menthol, menthone, cineol, and other oils, and there is evidence that this combination of compounds can relax gastrointestinal smooth muscle as well as lower esophageal sphincter pressure.

Peppermint oil has been used to treat not only gastrointestinal complaints but also headache. The current article reviews the efficacy and safety of peppermint oil for these indications.

Study Highlights

Peppermint oil appears to be mildly effective in reducing symptoms of IBS, particularly flatulence, abdominal pain, and distension, in adults. However, there has been significant heterogeneity among research into this subject.
A study of children between the ages of 8 and 17 years who had IBS found that peppermint oil was more effective than placebo in reducing the severity of abdominal pain.
2 trials have demonstrated that treatment with peppermint oil reduced the risk for gastrointestinal spasm during barium enema, with peppermint associated with up to a 3-fold increase vs placebo in the rate of having a procedure free of spasm.
The combination of 90 mg of peppermint oil plus 50 mg of caraway oil has been demonstrated to reduce symptoms of nonulcer dyspepsia, including fullness, bloating, and spasm. This combination should be used cautiously for patients with dyspepsia, as peppermint oil may promote gastroesophageal reflux.
2 studies have delineated the efficacy of topical peppermint oil in tension headache. In 1 study, a combination of peppermint and ethanol was superior to placebo in terms of analgesia. Another trial demonstrated that topical peppermint oil was similar to acetaminophen in terms of treatment efficacy.
The therapeutic dosage in most trials of peppermint oil and IBS was 0.2 to 0.4 mL taken 3 times daily in enteric-coated capsules. The 1 trial examining its use for childhood IBS used a dosage of 0.1 mL of peppermint oil 3 times daily for children weighing less than 45 kg.
Peppermint oil can be toxic in overdose, leading to interstitial nephritis and acute renal failure. Because it may promote gallstone formation, it should not be used in patients with cholelithiasis or cholecystitis. Peppermint oil also may trigger menstruation and should not be used during pregnancy.
The most common adverse events associated with peppermint oil include allergic reactions, heartburn, perianal burning, blurred vision, nausea, and vomiting. Peppermint oil may inhibit the cytochrome P450 1A2 system.

Pearls for Practice

Peppermint oil contains menthol, menthone, and cineol and may work by relaxing smooth muscle in the gastrointestinal tract. Peppermint oil also may reduce lower esophageal sphincter pressure and therefore usually is supplied with enteric coating.
Peppermint oil offers mild efficacy for symptoms of IBS and may improve colonic spasm associated with barium enema. Topical formulations of peppermint oil may improve tension headache.

Posts: 4 | From MI | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Thank you all so much. Wow. This is a lot of great ideas and support. I am going to print this out and I am on my way to the whole foods market.

I do have peppermint drops already so i can give that a try.

And yeah I have a few things going on. Some die off as Gael said and well I have messed up on my diet lately too much.

I have tested for allergies and I have modified my diet but got to pull those strings tighter again.

I need and have omitted all wheat, oats, and all grains except brown short grain rice. No sugar or processed foods at all.
I am about to go on a detox of blending veggies and small amounts of fruits and some protiens blenders.

I am worried though about this nausea because it has gotten worse lately.

But with your suggestions I should be able to calm this down.

I still do not quite get When the food enters your body what is the response that makes you feel so sick and nauseous.? Even when I was doing perfect on my diet I can only eat small amounts and very slow or I feel nauseous.

Lately I think it is compounded by die off and such....

THANKS again so much.

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger and pepperment were not strong enough for me.

OTC Meclizine (Name brand is "Bonine" or "Non-Drowsy Dramamine") works pretty well for the most part. When the nausea gets really bad out of control RX Zofran is the only thing that works for me.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger can help, but when I was really nauseous I could not stand the smell of it.

What helped me most was to chew on papaya tablets. You can get a whole bottle of these for about $5.00 at most healthfood stores.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement