LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bartonella -- The Artist in Me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bartonella -- The Artist in Me
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People often say that artistic talent runs through your blood and runs through your veins.

I am an artist and a designer, and I found the above statement to be *literally* true today.

I had my second LLMD appointment today with doctor R. and to make a long story short I will talk about the most interesting part of the appointment -- My Fry Labs Smear.

The Smear looks like modern art. The red cell infiltration is off the wall. He seemed *very* confident that this was bartonella but said it could possibly be Mycoplasma. I have heard that the "dots" on the slide are often outside the cell -- but in my case they have infiltrated INTO most of my cells and create a full circle. (40-50% of the cells)

I looked at the photos of Babesia and it definitely doesn't look like my slide. However, the bart and myco photos definitely match. However, Doctor R. said that he rarely sees what my slide shows. Perhaps I have had Bart for so long (15-16 years) that they have just infiltrated like crazy.

I have also heard that there is controversy between BLO and Bartonella. I have even been given the hypothesis that when the dots are outside the cell they might be BLO, and when they are inside (like the rarity of formation of mine) they might actually be true Bartonella. However, this is just one persons theory. It might make sense though because it has been said that more people might have BLO than Bart. So maybe full fledged bart is rarer, therefore explaining the rarity of my slide.

I do know that the Fry Smear is by no means 100% -- but it definitely gives me an outlook on this co-infection like I never had before.

And look how pretty it looks!

You can take a look at the slides here: (sorry for the poor photos)
http://www.amandamorante.com/Photos/lyme/Fry/

Thanks for reading my babble <3

-Amanda

Posts: 107 | From Plainview, New York | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. My pic is nearly identical to yours.

I have also been ill for 15 years come this summer. Started after an untreated bulls eye rash.

Mine also says "hypolastic erythrocytes observed"

Would you mind sharing when this specimen was tested?

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to add:

The life cycle of Bartonella is about every 5 days.

Once the bacteria infiltrate the cell, they remain there for the life of the RBC. That is 120 days or shorter. This allows the bacteria to just sit and wait for vector (flea, tick, etc) to come along and suck it up!

Every 5 days, give or take, a new wave of bacteria leave the protective primary niche (tissues, etc) and enter the blood stream. They then enter the red blood cells.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kitty9309:
Interesting. My pic is nearly identical to yours.

I have also been ill for 15 years come this summer. Started after an untreated bulls eye rash.

Mine also says "hypolastic erythrocytes observed"

Would you mind sharing when this specimen was tested?

Blood was taken at my first appointment and the specimen was tested on 3/27/09

--------------------
IgeneX Positive
IgM: 30 +, 31 ++, 34 +, 39 IND, 41 IND
IgG: 31 +++, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41 +++

Rocephin / Zithromax / Supps

Posts: 107 | From Plainview, New York | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Thanks, Amanda.

Call me paranoid, but I was just making sure we didn't have our smears made the same day! lol

Mine was run on 4/20/09

Did your doctor say what the treatment would be?

I am to start Rifampin in addition to my Biaxin/Plaquenil this weekend.

They are so similar. I'll try to get mine on here tonight.

AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

quote:
Originally posted by kitty9309:
Thanks, Amanda.

Call me paranoid, but I was just making sure we didn't have our smears made the same day! lol

Mine was run on 4/20/09

Did your doctor say what the treatment would be?

I am to start Rifampin in addition to my Biaxin/Plaquenil this weekend.

They are so similar. I'll try to get mine on here tonight.

Well -- I have major Gut issues so my doctor is very weary of orals. I am currently on IV rocephin for my Lyme -- but we are adding oral zith for 8 weeks until my next followup.

He eventually wants me on Rifampin. [Smile]

--------------------
IgeneX Positive

disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really weird... I didn't think Bart looked that way... it looks like Babs to me but you said you didn't think it did. My Bart Fry smear is little dots sitting on the outside of the cells.

http://mysigpictures.homestead.com/files/bart.jpg

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

This is the babesia slide I was looking at. Most of them look like this. More of a erratic placement of the large spots.

Here is the link:

http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/images/ParasiteImages/A-F/Babesiosis/Babesia_thin_giemsa3.jpg

--------------------
IgeneX Positive

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amanda, What does it say in comments on your slide -- couldn't read it in the picture.

Comparing your slide to hubby's first Fry smear in March, 2007 I am rather confused. Hubby had about half as many of the rings as you -- but the rings inside his cells are only about half as large as the rings on your slide. He also had the dots on the outside of the cells.

Hubby's rings were all in the center of the cells and look very similar in size to the one in the center of the link posted by Amanda except that that ring is off center.

His slide said -- moderate coccobacilli adherent to erythrocytes indicated by yellow arrows. Moderate protozoal forms seen indicated with red arrows. Differential: Coccobacilli -- Bartonella spp. Protozoans -- Babesia spp.

The rings but not the dots went away before the 2nd slide in August, 2007. He treated with low dose quinine/clindamycin for 4 months and then did 2 rounds of primaquine/chloroquine in between the 2 slides. Also 6 weeks of IV Primaxin.

I am really curious as to what your primary symptoms are and what if any treatment you have had for Bart or Babs prior to the slide.

Do you have any other test results -- antibody or PCR which indicate either babesia or bartonella?

While the whole Fry thing is somewhat confusing I thought everyone who had the rings (many do not have this finding) had been labeled as having babesia or a protozoa -- at least until very very recently.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

I would love to know if the rings are Babesia rather than clumps of coccobacilli.

My Babesia FISH was negative.

I am waiting for Bartonella PCR from NC State. Will hopefully have results in 2 weeks.

Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kitty,

Please let us know the results of your Bartonella PCR.

I have been so sure of my diagnosis all along, but having read so much lately I wonder if I should be skeptical too.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

You bet I will post when I have me results. I am chomping at the bit!

My symptoms do point to Bartonella, but boy do i want an accurate test to prove it.

I think it is good to question this when there are no solid answers.

AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

quote:
Originally posted by seibertneurolyme:
Amanda, What does it say in comments on your slide -- couldn't read it in the picture.

Comparing your slide to hubby's first Fry smear in March, 2007 I am rather confused. Hubby had about half as many of the rings as you -- but the rings inside his cells are only about half as large as the rings on your slide. He also had the dots on the outside of the cells.

Hubby's rings were all in the center of the cells and look very similar in size to the one in the center of the link posted by Amanda except that that ring is off center.

His slide said -- moderate coccobacilli adherent to erythrocytes indicated by yellow arrows. Moderate protozoal forms seen indicated with red arrows. Differential: Coccobacilli -- Bartonella spp. Protozoans -- Babesia spp.

The rings but not the dots went away before the 2nd slide in August, 2007. He treated with low dose quinine/clindamycin for 4 months and then did 2 rounds of primaquine/chloroquine in between the 2 slides. Also 6 weeks of IV Primaxin.

I am really curious as to what your primary symptoms are and what if any treatment you have had for Bart or Babs prior to the slide.

Do you have any other test results -- antibody or PCR which indicate either babesia or bartonella?

While the whole Fry thing is somewhat confusing I thought everyone who had the rings (many do not have this finding) had been labeled as having babesia or a protozoa -- at least until very very recently.

Bea Seibert

I have a positive antibody test for Bartonella that says I have been exposed. I believe it was through IgeneX.

At the bottom of my sheet it says that the slide is distinctive of either Hemobartonella or Mycoplasma.

I have had no treatment for bartonella prior to the slide test. The test was taken at my first appointment. In the past I had only taken oral doxycycline.

--------------------
IgeneX Positive

Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I think it is good to question this when there are no solid answers. [/QB]

Doesn't that also make it maddening?

Mine looks most like the one posted by disurbedme, with similar comments on the slide.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

It IS maddening!

Funny how the bacteria on the outside of the cell and the intracellular bacteria are both being called the same thing.

Bart's life cycle does include a brief stay attached to the red cell, though.

radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got articles explaning the life cycle of bart? I keep looking on google, but I can find 0 information except with kitty mentioned here.
Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol11no12/03-0045-G1.htm

Good photos of Bartonella in smears.

See Figure 1 on the right.

Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some of mine are in, others on the outside, but all are the small dots like in the pic posted by disturbedme.

I had so many symptoms and herxes consistent with what others atrribute to Bart, I do think it's a big part of my problem.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

radaraf:

see fig. 9 at bottom of article.

http://jem.rupress.org/cgi/content/full/193/9/1077

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement