LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What fats can I eat with Malarone???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What fats can I eat with Malarone???
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc did not go over what kinds of fat to eat wtih Malarone - I cannot tolerate nuts, eggs, avocado..

I CAN eat some cottage cheese, etc. Any other suggestions and in what quantity? Thanks!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not very tasty but you can do a tablespoon of olive oil. When I was on malarone I took it with olive oil at least 3 times a week. Besides being a great source of healthy fat it also aides the liver in detoxification.

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thx Lauren, you mean you took 1 tbsp with every dose of Malarone, eg: 3X/day?
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when I was on malarone I took all 4 pills at once. My doctor said I could take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening or I could take them all at once, whichever I was more comfortable with.

I decided to take all 4 at once - I felt like it was really hitting the babs harder that way. So, to answer your question I would take a tblsp. with 4 pills...

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thx for your response, it makes sense. I guess I'll have to see how I tolerate it initially before I decide whether to split doses or not. Hope you're doing well!!
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started malarone a few days ago. I'm using most of the things you cannot tolerate - nuts or nut butters, avocado, eggs...

But also using any oil like olive oil (I'm not just drinking olive oil, I put it on some salad or veggies).

You can also use coconut oil.

This morning, I added up the fat sources in my protein shake - a few grams from unsweetened soy milk, a few grams from flax seeds, I added some almond butter (I know you can't have), but the idea being it doesn't have to be one thing that has high fat, you can combine a number of things to reach the fat level.

I'm going to look at the healthfood store to see how many fat grams are in coconut milk.

What about butter, can you eat that? The other night I put some butter on some veggies. I hardly ever eat butter so all this high-fat stuff is hard to acclimate to.

If you come up with anything else, please let me know.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Hi Jill, thx for your feedback. Yes, I'm able to tolerate butter but use it sparingly due to my expanding waistline!

Glad you're able to tolerate eggs, nuts, etc. I actually have a phone consult set up with a dietician and will definitely post if I learn any more.

Do you take your Malarone dose with b'fast or lunch? Does it make a difference?

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btmb,

I am supposed to take three tablets a day. I'm only up to two, so I'm doing one at breakfast, one at dinner, but when I get up to three I'll have to figure out how to space them.

Yes, I'm not thrilled with the high-fat diet just when I put on weight from going completely hypothyroid when the doctors switched me from Synthroid to Armour. Guess I'll have to cut down somewhere else - except I'm hungry!!

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

I hear 'ya Jill, used to be a "lean, mean fighting-machine", now I could audition for the Goodyear Blimp!! Good luck! [Smile]
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried coconut oil... but my digestive system can not tolerate it...

so I switched to plain yogurt. I get the full fat yogurt and add some lemon juice to it.

They do make many flavors of liquid stevia that could be added to flavor plain yogurt as well. Most health food stores that seels food sells it. online - I know that vitacost sells it.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thx Azure Wish, though I can eat some cottage cheese I don't know why I'm so turned off by yogurt - perhaps the texture? But I'd force myself it it mean the Malarone would work better.

How much of the full fat kind do you eat?

Lymepool
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymepool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ice cream, peanut butter, bacon were the favorites in my kid's case.

Be warned, you could pack on a few pounds.

Lymepool

Posts: 170 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend COCONUT CREAM!!

It tastes like the inside of a Mounds bar, and is 70% coconut oil.

When I took it with Mepron, I actually lost weight! No kidding! I was eating 2-4 teaspoons of it at a shot!

Currently, Tropical Traditions has a sale on of 2 for one on organic coconut cream. That's how I buy it.

The website is http://www.tropicaltraditions.com

Best,

Cass A

ps--I make nothing from recommending this product. I just enjoy the heck out of it myself!

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend a big fat filthy fry up... with bacon, sausage, black pudding, fried eggs [Smile]

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thx for all the above suggestions - you guys must have arteries made of steel..!!! [Smile]
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ate a little bowl of ice cream with mine (mint chocolate chip). It was for 'medicinal purposes' only, and it made it all go down a little easier!

Linky

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

good one linky!!!
lymecaregiverNY
Member # 13287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymecaregiverNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take one or more good quality fish oil capsule(s) for every daily dose of Mepron and/or Malarone.

No weight gain, no extra effort to cook, does not cost too much, scientifically proven to benefit your cardiovascular system as well as other body systems.

Win, win situation.

Godspeed.

Posts: 45 | From upstate NY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

hey that's a great suggestion - one that I was thinking of too...I can't expend any more energy or eat "unhealthy" fats (I'm too sick to burn off calories) so..that might just work..thx
chris_s
Member # 19888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris_s     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 1.5 tbsp of flax seed oil, usually use bread to sop it up and give some extra buffer to my tummy. This was the healthiest combination I could find.

Depending on local economics, this cost me about $10 a week for the (necessarily refrigerated) flax oil.

Posts: 26 | From Napa, Ca | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

another great suggestion - thx chris!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement