LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Acne-like rash- could it be from Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Acne-like rash- could it be from Lyme?
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question about acne and Lyme...

I don't have the striations, or nodules on my arms and legs, but about 3 months ago, I had a bunch of changes in my symptoms.

I started getting a lot more neuro-lyme symptoms (vision problems, twitching, tingling etc.)

At the same time, I had a terrible break-out of something like acne on my back and shoulder.

I would get this tiny bumps that were almost like pimples, except they either came up as scabs, or turned into scabs at the slightest irration/rub

I also started getting scabs on my scalp, and petechiae, which both come up as symptoms of Lyme.

They are just on my back and shoulders, and none of the typical acne treatments are working.

I'd kind of ignored them, but I'm starting to wonder if they are related to everything else.

I have not had any treatment for Lyme yet- I had my first appt with an LLND last week, and totally forgot to mention this.

Is it worth mentioning at my next appt? Could it be Lyme related?

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this as well.

It started after I began treating the Lyme.

In my case, it is likely due to Bartonella.

I add Rifampin in a few days.

Will see if this skin stuff improves after a while.

I would mention it.

Good luck at your appointment.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am like kitty in that mine is probably due to Bartonella.

My acne-like symptoms started a little differently, though.

My little (and big) pimples appeared years before I began treatment, but once I started abx the problem intensified.

I have them on my back, chest, shoulder, arms, top of my stomach and sometimes my face. Incredibly I have even had them inside my mouth. [Eek!]

When a particularly unusual "patch" occurs I take a photo for my records. My LLMD feels certain it is caused by Bartonella, but just in case I need evidence down the road I have my pictures.

On the good side of things my LLMD assured me that at some point my skin would clear up. [Smile]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
middlesizedpanda
Member # 20676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for middlesizedpanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the petechiae i've got, mostly on my arms.

Still not got a positive test but begining to think thats not likely with the tests they do in the uk.

I think it is to do with lyme as I've had all the tests for platelets etc and they're ok.

Good luck

Posts: 69 | From UK | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started a new thread about petechiae. Your question got me to wondering.

I always assumed mine were due to Bartonella, but now I wonder if it may be caused by Babesia instead.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here so I am sure someone can enlighten both of us. [Smile]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've already replied to your post about petechiae...I have them as well.

Mostly on my upper thighs, upper arms, and shoulders, but I have a few on my stomach and back as well.

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Petechiae are primarily known to be Babesia. "cat scratches" and many of the non-raised rashes seem to be indicative of Bartonella.

I have a rather horrible rash that is indistinguishable from acne, like some of the other posters here. I've had it for years, and it "came out" even more during my treatment years ago. Mine are plain old red spots that often turn to "whitehead" style pimples. It is worst on the trunk of my body - my back, chest, shoulders not too bad on the abdomen, neck, but just recently it is starting to creep down my arms and legs.

My LLMDs aren't sure what to make of it. I took a biopsy myself and sent it of to a new england lab who's name I forget to look for Lyme (unfortunately, at the time I didn't tell them to look for coinfections), but they only came up with the "normal" sort of bacteria you'd find on acne-related skin.

My feeling is that it could be, in order of descending probability.

1. Related to lyme itself. I'm considering a minocycline + tindamax setup to see what happens.
2. Related to bartonella. This seems less likely as I've tested negative several times and have very few other specific bartonella symptoms. Thinking rifampin+zithromax.
3. Related to babesia. It would be an extremely unusual presentation, but its not out of the question, especially since it first started getting worse during my zithromax/mepron or zith/alinia days, if I recall correctly.
4. Related to yeast. I have no yeast symptoms but many feel that it can be overlooked. Treatment here is standard diflucan or vfend.
5. Related to issue or dysregulation secondary to infection. Not much I can do about this except kill the bloody infection.
6. Related to a lesser-known or harder to diagnose co-infection such as mycoplasma. Lots of protocols for these.

Those that are trying rifampin, don't forget it has to be paired with something else. Keep us posted!

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Blackstone,

Thank you for posting your interesting thoughts. I am especially curious about (4) yeast.

I am convinced I have yeast. I am going to look at this angle in light of your feelings.

My Fry lab result indicated my findings may be indicative of mycoplasma so maybe that is my problem too.

I am getting so overwhelmed and confused. My sister has definite streaks on her back so we are convinced she has Bartonella. I appreciate your explanation on how to differentiate between Babs and Barts rashes.

It is interesting that you had a biopsy done. I had three questionable bumps/pimples taken off my nose and arm a couple of weeks ago. I specifically asked for them to be tested for Bartonella, but I am not certain they really were. The plastic surgeon sent them to LabCorp and they came back as fibrous papules.

But like you

--------------------

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its really, really hard to nail down these infections due to something like a skin biopsy PCR. Especially in the case of lyme and babesia, its nigh impossible as the organisms aren't in high concentration in the skin, the same way they aren't just floating around the bloodstream.

At current, its just to hard to find an antigen in many cases, and the tests aren't really sensitive enough in their "normal" incarnation - they're made for diagnosing things like MRSA where there's a ton of the antigen just sitting there directly on the lesion.

If you believe to have yeast, then a course of diflucan or vfend (much more powerful, harder to tolerate for some people) may lead to improvement if that is the cause of your rash. Then again, you may very well have yeast if you have other symptoms thereof, but the rash could be caused by something else entirely.

My Fry smears came up completely clean last I had them done (no "Haemobartonella" which is what they used to call mycoplasmas), but if you had a positive here it may be worth considering a regimen for that.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Blackstone,

That is wonderful news that nothing showed up on your Fry smears! I hardly ever hear of that happening.

I hope you find an answer to your rash soon. Does it itch? The ones I get on my arms itch so much I think I will scratch my skin off.

--------------------

HollyS
Member # 20550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the "acne" get worse with antibiotic treatment? I had a horrible flare of symptoms back in December.

I had just had a baby via c-section and was put on IV antibiotics as a precaution after surgery (normal stuff) and my symptoms all came back with a vengeance.

It started with the "acne" on my face, chest and upper back, which is a typical symptom of mine.

Then came the horrid joint pain and swelling.

I guess this would make sense due to the antibiotics I was given. I hadn't put the pieces together until now.

Maybe it was a coincidence?

Posts: 94 | From Kansas City Area | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

HollyS,

I wonder if the abx didn't bring out some residual infection and that caused the flare?

Hope you are feeling better now.

--------------------

HollyS
Member # 20550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leelee,

I actually haven't been treated for it at all yet. I had a + test 2 1/2 years ago but was told it wasn't Lyme.

My symptoms come and go and the worst they had ever been were two times I was treated with abx for other reasons.

The symptoms finally subsided but keep coming back. No surprise there.

Posts: 94 | From Kansas City Area | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

HollyS - It could very well be that the acne-like rash exacerbates in something similar to a herx effect. Which antibiotics were you given?

In addition, we should probably take into account other factors as well like hormonal flux.

LeeLee - The acne-like rash does not itch. They're slightly painful at times, but no worse than teenage acne. I do itch, but at areas that do not have that sort of rash. I assume it to be a histamine reaction from my pain medications at times.

Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Hmm. So like HollyS, I haven't had any treatment yet (should be starting soon, though).

But my symptoms weren't related to any antibiotics, as I haven't been on any at all (Lyme or otherwise).

And my acne-like rash doesn't itch either. I itch a lot, but not where I have the acne.

Actually, it seems that I either have the ance/petechiae, or I itch.

I never do both in one area...except maybe my scalp (I have scabs, don't know if they're the same as on my back)

lymeparfait
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many times the acne is a "die off" herx reaction to treatment. Along with a die off and biofilm during the life cycle of the lyme, and the bodies way of detoxing and removing the toxins via the skin, I believe.

Also I have experienced a form of this as I am detoxing chemicals and heavy metals.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My natural doctor says that acne is a sign of adrenal fatigue.

I also had medicines that have made me break out. Adderall and Provigil. They increase sweating.

When I started taking antiboitics is when my acne cleared up.

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KimDC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KimDC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicole_Denise,

I thought I was the only one!

I break out in an acne-like rash on my chest, neck, jawline, and back with ALL antibiotics. When I stop the abx, it goes away.

I had dermatologist look at the rash a few years ago (before Lyme dx) after taking amoxicillin for Strep. He wasn't sure, but thought maybe the abx had activated acne that was just under my skin. I do have very oily skin.

I have found that acne cleansers make it worse. I wash the area with Dove soap 2-3 times a day, which seems to help.

Kim

--------------------
Misdiagnosed with CFS for 7 yrs. Diagnosed by LLMD in 2009. Aggressive treatment for 3 years with minimum improvement.

Posts: 120 | From FL | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pammy
Member # 15695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is an older thread but I just saw it so... [Smile]

I have the rash/acne on my chest, back, hairline and face. It started after I stopped abx...taking a break.

I'm guessing it's either yeast or my hormones are out of whack, or both.

Had my hormones checked and progesterone was low so I'm taking a natural cream.

I also started using the 3 step acne program similar to Proactive...it's the cheaper Walgreens version.

That really seems to be helping. I can only do it 1x per day though, otherwise it really messes up my skin that is not breaking out.

I read that when it is on your chest and back, not just your face, it's generally related to a hormonal imbalance...which can be caused by yeast among a billion other things. [Smile]

Good luck!

Posts: 92 | From home | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement