LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pain in hands after vacuuming?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pain in hands after vacuuming?
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suddenly, I have started getting pain in my hands after running the vacuum or holding anything that vibrates in my hands.

I just finished cutting my husband's hair with one of those Wahl clippers, and now my hands are killing me again.

Anyone else have this?

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get it in my feet after riding a riding lawn mower.

It shakes too.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zebco 33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zebco 33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a weed wacker for the first time this year.

That was last week. Can't use either hands this week and my neck is shot.

Stupid lyme junk. Hate this disease. I feel like I've taken many steps backwords.

Just when I've rested up and started feeling better, I do what I used to and now I'm shot.

So not fair. In so many ways. I hate it. Did I say I hate this disease? Can't say it enough.

Posts: 145 | From Paris, Tn. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julielynne4
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes this happens to me. I used to like to mow the lawn once in a while for my hubby but I can't, the vibrations make my hands hurt way too much. Sometimes if I am herxing my hands/arms will be so weak with any activity, writing, using scissors, even holding a cup! Sometimes the hairdryer is too much.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You might want to mention this to your LLMD as it sounds like carpal tunnel and that is frequent with lyme but also can be made worse by certain medicines. Are you taking anything right now that might cause tendon stress (Levaquin, or other drugs in that class)? If so, be sure to give your LLMD a call on Monday.

When vacuuming, be sure to wear properly fitted carpal tunnel braces and gently massage your hands under warm water periodically. Also, it is better to work in short spurts, one room one day, another two days - or three - later. Never two days in a row.

A good LL P.T. may be able to better help with specific massage or ultrasound therapy.

A good O.T. (occupational therapist) might be able to build you an eronomic support for your vacuum - and also look at how you hold yourself or make adjustments in other areas, too.

The O.T. can also be sure your braces are fitted correctly, even ordering custom made ones that are often covered by insurance. My advice, though, is that if they order the neoprene ones to leave plenty of room inside for a cotton liner. They did not do that with mine and the neoprene was so hot I could never wear the braces.

The Feldendkrais Technique is a good one for posture, etc. ( www.feldenkrais.com )

Tai Chi or Qi Gong can also be helpful for carpal tunnel as both gently stretch and strengthen.

It may be best to hire someone if you can for vacuuming if you don't have a family member or friend. I have found that sort of damage to my hands can take weeks to heal and the repair therapy is way more than paying someone a few bucks just to vacuum.

Magnesium and fish oil help, as can acupuncture. Wearing the carpal tunnel braces at night helps, too.

============

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano'sTreatment Guidelines (2008)

Page 31:

. . .

The physical therapy should involve massage, heat, ultrasound and simple range of motion exercises to relieve discomfort and promote better sleep and flexibility.

Ice (vasoconstriction) and electrical stimulation (muscle spasm and trauma) should not be used!

. . . .

===================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel

Carpal Tunnel

-

[ 06-13-2009, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies.

My son has finally decided he likes coloring in his dinosaur coloring book, but he also wants me to color.

I've noticed that I get a lot of pain and weakness in my hand from doing too much of that.

Boy, you know it's bad when you can;t even color with your kids.

Zebco, I agree--I HATE this disease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

If you hold the crayon (or pen) between your index finger and middle finger that is easier on your wrist. Same with silver and keys to your door and car doors. I even had to take a different grip with my toothbrush.

-

Edited to add: when holding pen between index finder and middle finger, that would be placing it close up in the web, near the larger knuckes, not further down near the finger tips.

-

[ 06-14-2009, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Many of us who have FM signs can`t do anything from sitting standing,workout+++++.Including vacuuming,mowing, whatever.
Seems like 15-20 minutes is our limits to do anything.
Have to stop/ stretch yourself including rubbing stretching fingers & hands much as you can.
Put lotion on what makes you feel best.

Really is simple to do but aggravating same time.

Do you find after standing 15 min. you have to start moving around, unable to stand still over 15-20 min.???
Curious.
I can`t even go to show any more wiggling have to get up & stretch or stand for awhile.
Ben yrs. since able to go to show yrs.

You test yourself, see when you have to start moving & jiggling.
Think it is when I get some sleep so painful in am. to long in bed not moving at times.
I stretch on my evening potty breaks.lol
Huggggsss, to ALL in need.....

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement