LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » does lyme effect your hair??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: does lyme effect your hair??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my hair is very very thick and now sort of dry. it used to be very oiley. now i can shampoo every other day and sometimes when i'm just too tired i can go two days.

i am getting gray but my hair just doesn't shine or sparkle anymore.

i'm wondering if lyme can effect your hair? mine is not colored..

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear,

I have not noticed any changes to my hair, but have talked to some with Lyme that claim, that Lyme changed the condition of their hair .

I know one woman that had severe hair thinning as well, but is doing better now.

Many ppl with Lyme have issues with hormones as well and have found that once those issues are dealt with, their hair goes back to normal.

Good luck.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband's got very oily as he was getting sick. Now he has occasionally oily hair, usually associated with a herx. My daughter's hair fell out (in clumps,) but with treatment grew back.

Just another weird day on planet Lyme!

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
squashlyme
Member # 12865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for squashlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try taking fish oil supplements, this will improve the shine in the hair.
Posts: 48 | From nj | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair was a light brown.. then it changed to a very dark brown almost black color. it was the real dark color for years but now it is back to light brown.

My hair used to be poker staight. I cut it somewhat short and it gre back with waviness to it. It is long now and still wavy.

Due to lyme? I dunno? I did have lyme long before the changes.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair has gotten really, really thin. It would break off in clumps in the shower.

A couple of months ago I had it all cut off. It's a nice,new style and I don't mind it, but I would never have cut off my long, blond hair if it had not become so damaged.

I don't know if Lyme caused this or not, but it was certainly a more drastic change than one would usually expect from normal aging.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose if one has babs iron could be depleted to a point which would affect the hair. Supposedly ferritin levels below 50 may be detrimental to hair at times...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair is just plain falling out! Everytime I see a new CLUMP in my hand I go tot the hairdresser and have it cut shorter because I figure the shorter it is the less will fall out....

Well I am soon to be bald either by my haircuts or it falling out.

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

www.24weekperfectbaby.blogspot.com

Son's blog born at 24 weeks.

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair has lost it's curl. Used to have very, very curly hair and now it is going straight! I chalked it up to Rocephin; it's been happening for about as long as I've been on it. (six months) Anyone else?
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair (and fingernails) became brittle and weak after starting abx. It's been nearly a year, so I've just decided to live with it. Sigh.

I cut my hair really short (pixie cut), which helps it look healthier.

When I was evaluated for babs, my LLMD asked if I'd had hair loss. (I haven't.) Could hair loss be a symptom of babs?

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EllieP50
Member # 15936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EllieP50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's interesting you mentioned this - one of the first symptoms I had when I got Lyme was that the texture of my hair changed - instead of shiny, bouncy it was duller, lifeless (this symptom came on about a day or two before I got the rash and it was strange - like what's going on here? - right after that I got very sick). It's stayed that way this whole year except I noticed I can get some improvement when I'm taking certain vitamin/mineral supplements.
Posts: 34 | From Saratoga Springs, NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Threw the years I had my hair turn completely silver 3 times -

I also had most of my hair fall out several times-

My hair also lost its curl and is now very straight-

Now that I am better my hair id not falling out
but it is turning gray --I guess because I am getting old--Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been experiencing hair loss for a while now. I just got my Biotin level checked...normal range is 221-3004 (yes, 3004!, not 304). Mine was less than 20.

Low Biotin levels can apparently be caused by antibiotics or alcoholism. I don't drink, so I'm guessing it's the antibiotics.

Most likely anyone experiencing hair loss is already taking Biotin supplements (I had just started), but wanted to throw this out there in case it helps anyone.

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair is very dry now too. It also falls out alot. My drains get very clogged.

I noticed that it looks thin near my scalp. So I can see my scalp more then I remember before.

I know my hormones are messed up from Lyme so I assume it's from that?

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, if hormones are screwy...hair problems may follow...

How's your iron Amy C?

Supposedly, hair is a very low priority for the body so when the body is challenged by infection nutrients go into the fight and not into the hair so-to-speak...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my hair used to be really thick; very thin now; like a man's.

premature white hair starting good at 30; i was 21 when i was unknowingly bitten.

1 time my co-worker told me my white hair also had a RED SCALP; yep, it did!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think hormones are the cause of my hair changing. My son had hair loss from Diflucan.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement