LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » azythromycin and insurance....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: azythromycin and insurance....
losferwrds
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a 90 pill script , 500mg a day, 3 , 30 pill refills

Aetna/Caremark PPO, approved 3 six pill refills

so essentially 6 pills for 10 bucks, 3 times or 18 pills, less than
3 weeks of a 90 day script

So I say what the hey if It works I'll pay outta pocket but
6 pills cost 98 bucks with out ins according to the full price priintout on the pharmacy bag

I saw online pharmacies as low as 3 bucks a pill but they look shady.

Where can I get legit discount meds, with a script at a decent price?

I really want to give this stuff a 90 day shot.

[ 06-14-2009, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: losferwrds ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
costco is a bit over $4 a pill they are on the bottom of the list here:

http://www.pharmacychecker.com/Pricing.asp?DrugName=Azithromycin&DrugId=49975&DrugStrengthId=86941

There are are a couple even cheaper than that here on this list too, dunno if they are reliable or not. You can get a months worth for about $90 from some of them.

Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, my insurance has hassled me more about generic azithromycin and biaxin than just about anything. I was able to get one slightly larger prescription for generic Zith by having my LLMD fill out a pre-authorization form and I had to keep running back and forth to Costco to try to coordinate all this, and see if they or the insurance got the form.

The stupid antibiotic gave me tinnitus which hasn't gone away months later.

One of my Lyme friends who has a group PPO policy gets her meds filled through the mail order pharmacy and they never hassle her. But I have an individual PPO plan and many prescriptions are a fight, while others sail through - I can never predict it.

I always go to Costco if I think I'm going to have to pay out-of-pocket because so many Lyme patients have done comparison shopping and always recommend it.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a group PPO and they will only fill a 3 day supply, so I've started getting roxithromycin from India. at 300mg twice a day, it actually is helping more than the azithromycin did. 480 pills cost me $184.68.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by radfaraf:

http://www.pharmacychecker.com/Pricing.asp?DrugName=Azithromycin&DrugId=49975&DrugStrengthId=86941

There are are a couple even cheaper than that here on this list too, dunno if they are reliable or not. You can get a months worth for about $90 from some of them.

I'll stop by cosco and check it out tomorrow, god, I have flushed 1000s of dollars worth of ssri and trycylics down the drain based on 10 minute conversations with shrinks over the last 20 years with 10 dollar copays, not to mention the cost of the the kpins
I am hooked on, and I gottq fight for abx based on blood test results the show a persistant infection that may cure me, what a travesty.

JesseSapp
Member # 16630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JesseSapp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by losferwrds:
quote:
Originally posted by radfaraf:

I'll stop by cosco and check it out tomorrow, god, I have flushed 1000s of dollars worth of ssri and trycylics down the drain based on 10 minute conversations with shrinks over the last 20 years with 10 dollar copays, not to mention the cost of the the kpins
I am hooked on, and I gottq fight for abx based on blood test results the show a persistant infection that may cure me, what a travesty.

I sure hope you don't flush that much medication down the drain! I hope you are kidding, but it doesn't seem like you are...

http://www.ahrp.org/infomail/04/08/10.php

Posts: 99 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pharmacist called my LLMD and told her to prescrib 1/2 tab of 500 mg a day. That way they can't put me into a zpack and now they pay for a whole month with one co-pay.

Sometimes pharmacists know how to get around the insurance system.

I just cut it in half and it is no big deal.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

"I sure hope you don't flush that much medication down the drain! I hope you are kidding, but it doesn't seem like you are...

http://www.ahrp.org/infomail/04/08/10.php"

OMG , I never realised that, why don't they put some kind of warning on the bottle of how to dispose of the stuff.

In the future what should I do to get rid of stuff, is it ok to throw in the trash can. Sounds like it needs to put in the biohazard cans at the hospital.

It is slightly exagerated, but I did dump at least 1 bottle of prozac and prolly 2 or 3 others AD type things that gave me side effects.

skigal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to get the 600 mg generic Zith. My insurance co pays for 30 day supplys, no problem with that mg amt. I was having same problem with the 250 & 500 mg from insur co.

Just cut pill in 1/2 if you need to. I hope your generic zith is not made by TEVA.

Posts: 269 | From VA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are supposed to seal the bottle of drugs you are throwing away with sturdy tape and then dispose of them. Even narcotics.

Unfortuneately, everything else ends up in our ground water and drinking water. In our state the only way that Hospices can dispose of their narcotics is down the sink.

Very sad. There is no other safe program at this time.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by skigal:
Try to get the 600 mg generic Zith. My insurance co pays for 30 day supplys, no problem with that mg amt. I was having same problem with the 250 & 500 mg from insur co.

Just cut pill in 1/2 if you need to. I hope your generic zith is not made by TEVA.

Yeah its 500mg TEVA, is TEVA bad?

I have 2 - 3 packs, I already am on my second day I'll run out by thursday

skigal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TEVA is a worthless generic. See if your doc will write another script for 600 mg Zith and get the GREENSTONE brand. You live in NJ...I'm sure they have CVS & Rite-Aid there. These 2 pharmacies usually carry the greenstone brand(Greenstone is Pfizer's generic). It's a good generic brand.
Posts: 269 | From VA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janice70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janice70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is TEVA always bad, or just for Zithromax?
Posts: 311 | From CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skigal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7443

I stay away from ALL TEVA. I'll use any generic except that one. I always call the pharmacy before I go & find out what manufacturer they use for abx. If it's TEVA, I switch pharmacies.
Amanda
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Azithromyacin comes in z packs, which for whatever reason are cheaper than regular azithromyacin.

Go to Costco and ask the pharmacist how much it cost to get z packs.

Ditto the suggestion to talk to pharmacist about getting cheapest meds possible. I have found that some pharmacies will really go the extra mile to help you find cheap meds.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janice70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janice70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you stay away from all TEVA? I know TEVA amoxicillin works for my kids. I noticed a huge difference in them once they started on antibiotics.

My husband did notice a big difference between TEVA and Greenstone zithromax, though.

Too bad the only Lyme drugs Greenstone makes are zithromax and Diflucan

Posts: 311 | From CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skigal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7443

It's JMO, but if the TEVA Zith is worthless - most likely, so is the other meds they make.

Something strange about their manufacturing process. I just get other generics.

Same for Biaxin, TEVA makes a 500 mg tab. I get the DAVA/Abbot 500 mg tab :-)

[ 06-14-2009, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: skigal ]

losferwrds
Unregistered

My llmd said the reason zithro cost big bucks is because when the patent ran out Pfizer only sold it to their subsiederies that they also own, profit from and control,so they basically made it a non-generic , generic, thus the problem. .

He knows the game he is old school and had lyme, he will get me what I need. I'll get the greenstone, he said it all comes from the same barrel but i guess teva found an international loop hole

Zithro has mega half life, its the closest oral to an iv, which is what everyone really needs, this should be treated like cancer, don't they make money from cancer patients?, my mom and dad are both cancer survivors and their bills were thru the roof, I would think its more an insurance issue than a pharma issue,pharma makes money regardless, the insurance companies that are root of the problem, well them and the FDA, well it all boils down to economics, sick people with moderately life threating conditions must me cash cows for the health industry, but don't they bleed the ins cos dry in a recessin/depression? Maybe there just isn't a cure and they'd rather treat symptoms and keep us under the rug but chronic life time misdiagnosis of CFS, GAD, fibro and there never ending treatments bleeding the ins cos dry over the long haul, it would seem logical to treat something with a possible cure rather than addressing sypmtoms.

Despite all the activism, what major breakthrus have been made for AIDs, diabetes, muscular distrophy or all the lyme related conditions, pakinsons,MS and alziemers, not to mention autism.
Its a big machine, who runs it and what is their agenda?

I wish I knew more about the economics of pharma, health ins, and health care, but it seems chronic moderately life threatening sick is good business.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement