LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does *anyone* have positive reports about Plaquenil?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does *anyone* have positive reports about Plaquenil?
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading here lately how difficult Plaquenil is to tolerate and wondered if ANYONE out there tolerated Plaquenil well.

Any feedback appreciated!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thx for your input Lyme Ed! Would love to hear some first-hand accounts...if there are any positive ones!!
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did fine on it with Tetra & Biaxan.

I think when people read too many negative experiences of a drug they UNconsciencely set themselves up for one.

My family does not allow my mother to read the drug insert that comes from the pharmacy with her prescriptions. No matter how rare the side was, she'd get it.

Since she no longer gets to read 'em it is amazing how well she tolerates her meds now.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Plaquenil(with multiple combinations of antibiotics) for for several months now and have not experienced any problems with it.

When I have accidentally run out of Plaquenil I experience increased joint pain. So obviously it is helping at least with pain control and inflammation issues.

It also has activity against the cyst forms of Lyme and Babesia.

Trust your doctor's guidance and give it a try.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swachsler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i will hopefully be going on plaquinil soon, if i can tolerate biaxin (rough going so far), so i would also like to hear positive (or negative or any!) experiences on it.

i have learned, fwiw, btmb, that it's best to start on a low dose and work my way up. i've learned this after two years of my llmd starting me at full doses and herxing like mad.

so maybe when u start plaq, start at 1/4 dose and work up?

i'm wondering now if there are other drugs i wd have tolerated better if i'd done that....

-sharon

Posts: 223 | From Western Mass. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thx for your input guys, glad it helped at least a few of you. I often wonder if a drug like Plaquenil is so difficult to tolerate why it's always the first to be prescribed..

But then again you're right, must trust my LLMD and give the drug a good try..my joints/body could really use a break!!

j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only trouble I had was hair breakage. So my LLMD had me cut it back to one dose, instead of 2.

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found plaquenil to be the easiest of all treatments to tolerate, and I tend to be very sensitive to medicines. There were some side-effects the first week, like slight dizziness, but those passed quickly.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Liz, Vermont, thanks for your input - hmm hair breakage? Wonder what the reason for that was! Did your hair return to normal after stopping the drug?

Vermont - glad you tolerated it so well!!

kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also on Plaquenil. It has only been 3 weeks, but I am OK so far.

It seems to make me thirsty, but that is all I can tell.

Make sure to eat with it.

I take it with Biaxin (started that 2 months ago) and I just added Rifampin.

I was very scared about it at first as well.

Hope it goes well.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thx so much Kitty, I'm glad it has gone well for you.

I'm SO sensitive to meds in general it's scary when you hear of so many who didn't tolerate it...so I'm glad to hear there are those that did!!

joe-nm
Member # 18054

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe-nm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on 200mg of Plaquenil and 1000mg Biaxin.

I was like you and concerned about taking the drugs because of things I had read on this site but it is the easiest combo I have ever been on and helps a lot.

I had no side effects what so ever. I hope you get well!

Joe

Posts: 54 | From New Mexico | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am usually very sensitive as well.

Could not handle even 50 mg Minocycline per day, but can do 1000 mg Biaxin all at once, 200 Plaq 2x/day and now the Rifampin.

Weird for me.

Good to hear, Joe. The voice of sanity.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Joe - glad you've had no negative effects, are you seeing any improvements?

kitty - wow! 1000 mg at once? plus the other two meds? double wow!

Good luck and better health to the two of you too!

j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, my hair stopped breaking after cutting it down to once a day.

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard1062
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1062     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our daughter is in her 3rd week of biaxin and plaquenil. She is being treated for Lyme and terrible joint pain. We are planning on it being a great success.

When she developed increased nausea, her LLMD said she could take half the standard dose, slowly increase the biaxin to tolerance, and then slowly increase the plaquenil.

Dr also said she sees many get good results with this combo even if they stay on only half the standard dose.

Of course, being headstrong, our daughter did not decrease her dose. She got a little better after the first week, but is now headed into her regular monthly downturn, so we have to wait & see what happens after that is over.

Burrascano has a good explanation of why you take the 2 together.

I also found the study, done by Dr. Donta, which shows how plaq. helps the biaxin to penetrate. He looked at Lyme patients with fatigue, musculoskeletal pain, and neuro symptoms. He said 80% reported improvement after 3 months of treatment.

Posts: 228 | From Mass. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking plaquenil 200 mg 2X day, Levaquine 500 mg1 daily, and Cefdinir 300 mg 2 caps/ 2X daily for 6 months now.

Slow improvement, but improvement, some major herx once in a while(cycle).

I have monthly blood tests and every 3 months an eye exam. Of course, all the supplements and biotics as normal.

Good luck with your new tx,
willbe

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

jill, Richard, wantabe - many thanks for your input. Wow such good info from y'all. I really feel better on half-doses too but my doc won't agree to that and dosing up has made me almost completely non-functional.

Wonder why docs have such a different attitude. Also don't know if I'm just not tolerating the higher doses or herxing since my joint pain, flu sx, brain sx, feverish sx are thru the roof. [Frown]

thanks again for so much support.

lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only positive reports for my use of plaquenil.

I have been using it for at least six years, close to seven....most of that time in combo with zithromax.

I have had excellent tolerance and results.

Yes, it makes a difference for me with inflamation and the joint and muscle pain. I also believe it has been a great credit to my Lyme treatment.

There is also some evidence that it treats babs.

Read about the positive benefits....search here and the web in general.

My dose was been 200 2 x day for a few years. I have been using 200 3 x a day now for a few years.

I schedule the eye exams every six months. It is rare for problems to arise with the eyes BUT it's important to monitor it.

Good luck and take good care.

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Lightfoot, you and others truly have given me hope - I'm SO glad you had good results and tolerated the Biaxin/Plaquenil combo well.

Thank you so much for your detailed input.

Healing smiles back!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
plaquinil was one of the easist meds to add. You just have to get eyes checked as a preventive.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement