LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The way I ate today made me herx!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The way I ate today made me herx!
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay so I usually eat pretty good when I take my antibiotics. This morning I ate really light, a few blueberries and a protein bar. Took my doxy.

Then for dinner I ate nothing but vegtables and yogurt. Then I took my ziprho and doxy I know I ate light because I am having hunger pains now.

So I haven't herxed in weeks and have been feeling very normal actually. I'm sitting on my porch tonight and sure enough it hit me like a ton of bricks. I ache all over, I'm tingling, hot flashes, sweating, just overall awful feeling--that good old fashioned herx feeling.

This is interesting. I don't usually eat THIS light. Anyone experienced this? I'm almost sure this is whats going on.

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tif
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have herxed more depending on food amounts........if you think about it, the absorption of your abx would be more with less food in there, especially the doxy (at least in my case)

--------------------
TL

Posts: 365 | From OK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

What did you eat for lunch? I don't see that you posted that.

Eating too light can produce more porphyrins and that will be indistinguishable from a herx.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morning/breakfast: barleygrass and some probiotics (yummay)

lunch: blueberries and a protein energy bar

took doxy an hour later

dinner: carrots, broccoli, asparagus, yogurt
took doxy/ziphro immediately

--------------------

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

That is not enough food for breakfast, lunch or snack time. Our bodies require much more. It's hard, I know. It might work to make a large dinner and put half in the fridge for breakfast.

A protein bar is not really considered food. It is a substitution best reserved for when we can't get whole protein foods.

Again, I know that it takes energy to cook. Eggs are the easiest source. Three eggs equal 18 g. of protein. That's a portion for one meal. Fish and veggies for breakfast is a great help. Or chicken soup. Breakfast is the most important meal.

The blueberries are nice as a mid-morning snack or a breakfast appetizer but a real meal is necessary to get you started on your way.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

- 20 pages

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India

129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148. Review Article.

Excerpt: " . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).
-

Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blueberries are highly antioxidants. You might try

flushing poisons. Diflucan for yeast? Yogurt is

good for the gut but if you already have it not

enough. No one should have to die of yeast.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

quote:
Originally posted by Pinelady:
Blueberries are highly antioxidants. You might try

flushing poisons. Diflucan for yeast? Yogurt is

good for the gut but if you already have it not

enough. No one should have to die of yeast.

You know whats funny? I've met a lot of docs. And a lot of sick people. No one I know has ever died of yeast, nor have any doctors mentioned dying of yeast. Where did that come from?

--------------------

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eating light lets more of abx to be absorbed.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....I don't think yogurt and doxy should be taken at the same time....
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonsnotlymes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonsnotlymes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a nutritionist, but that is not enough calories to sustain your bodily functions. Remember good food is your best medicine. Listen to your mother... eat more!
Posts: 103 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1200 calories a day is the bare minimum (for a woman)to get all the nutrients you need; and that is probably for someone that is already healthy.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clint my brother in laws -brother died of yeast.

He was in hospital being treated IV for Hepatitis.

They did not give him anything for yeast. It took

over clotted in his veins and arteries and he

died. If you would like I can give you his widow

and 2 sons number. It can happen they just chalk

it up to embolism and you really don't know what

caused it. Most people accept embolism as a

blood clot when in fact it is caused by this. It is on his autopsy report.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes me think of the thread where some discussed how their symptoms got worse when they were hungry.

As to the people dying of yeast, there are many types of fungi that can have devastating affects on our health.

Emla999/Lyme shared a link with me to a documentary on black mold.

http://www.blackmoldexposuremovie.com/blackmoldmovietrailer.html

Here is an article on histoplasmosis, a fungal infection.

http://www.loveoffering.com/fungus.htm

And here is an article on the well-known Candida.

http://www.freedommedcenter.com/service.php?id=72

So, yeast is not something you want to mess with.

--------------------
Never doubt in darkness what the daylight proves to you.

Posts: 418 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Fasting can increase the levels of toxic porphyrins. More about that here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=071168

Topic: PORPHYRIA LINKS - Re: Cytochrome P-450 liver detox pathway

-

kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dairy products should be avoided within one hour before and after taking any tetracyclines.

Mineral supplements and antacids also.

In addition, you should drink a lot of water when taking antibiotics.

I'm taking Doxy as well, and I feel terrible when I take it without eating enough.

I'm with Keebler - eggs are fast, easy and have plenty of protein, which we all need.

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

The BBC speaks to the power of veggies:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8106800.stm

Eat less while eating more?

- Great photos here.

(I imagine they used gluten-free pasta from brown rice! Cutting the pasta even in half and adding even more veggies is a good idea, too.)

========

Selecting the best fish:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=103

Mercury Content in Popular Fish
-

Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clint, Hope you're feeling better today.

I hope you've been eating more since then. Heck I hope you ate more after posting that evening!

How on earth can you eat so little? I'd pass out from low blood sugar if I didn't eat at least 5x that amount of calories!

Did you not have an appetite and/or feel nauseous?

When you don't have an appetite, how about drinking protein shakes and juices to make sure you're getting in more calories.

I agree with the others who recommend eggs. No matter you're appetite, 2 scrambled eggs can be literally slurped down in 3-5 minutes. That's about 200 calories and enough protein to last you for hours.

If you don't have the energy to scramble eggs in the morning, hard-boiling a bunch in advance will give you a ready-made breakfast for days...I think hard-boiled eggs are good for at least a week, maybe more.

I've also found oatmeal and soups easier to stomach when no foods appeal to me. Like with eggs, I find foods that don't require much or any chewing to be much more palatable.

Also just a handful of almonds or spoonful of almond butter has a lots of protein and good fats too!

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement