LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can puffy face be herxing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can puffy face be herxing?
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife started low dosage of doxy back in April. Recently she added biaxin (about 10 days ago). Today she woke up with puffy face, especially on both eyes and nose area. She feels fine, she claims.

So far she has not seen any great deal of herx, except that her left side knee becomes swollen.

Could this be the further sign of herx or anyone thinks we should call her doc. to make sure if she needs to address other issues?

Thanks.

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure. Is the puffiness accompanied by redness or itching? I assume not, since you said your wife feels fine.

I know people can get edematous due to release of toxins. Does she have a fever, or is her resting heart rate higher than normal?

I would assume it is OK, but how swollen is she? Can she open her eyes normally? Is the area surrounding the nares being hindered in breathing capability?

I think calling the doc may be a good idea, he should be able to tell you whether it is a significant finding or not.

Please keep us updated =)

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this same issue, and I've always wondered what it was.

My feeling is that it has to do with detox. Ocean is right, when people become too toxic, they often develop edema. The strange this is, is that I only get it in my face. It sounds like your wife has this same issue.

Is your wife doing anything for detox?

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ocean and Littlelymie,

Yes, she can open her eyes and breath. Without me saying so to her this morning, she wasn't even aware of her face.

She is not doing anything particular to detox, other than she takes probiotic, Vitamins, Fish oil, that sort of thing.

How exactly does one detox?

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Ocean - I will also try to call. Have a good weekend.
Tabby
Member # 13917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tabby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my gosh, I'm so happy someone else is writing about this, I have had this problem for going on 3 or 4 years now, starting with just my eyelids and slowly progressing to nearly my whole face, as well as gums. My LMD has no clue what it is from though he thinks maybe it could be from yeast. I think it might be from a thyroid issue, I've read that hypothyroidism can cause facial swelling. I would love to figure it out though and have it fixed, I'm an actress and though I don't look horrible it definitly has made me less attractive and less like myself. If anyone else has more info or anyway to fix it, I know I would appreciate it so much!
Posts: 42 | From new york | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure if my puffy face is from herxing or Lyme symptoms, but it swells up like I have the mumps. My face feels like jelly or like I have fluid underneath the skin.

I also get swelling under my chin. I believe that is where the sub-mandibular nodes are located.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

When I grew up, people always thought that puffy face is somehow related to weak kidney function. Stress or lack of sleep were often blamed for it. I wonder if that has any truth to it.
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she's not wheezing or itching, then there's a good bet that it's not an allergy.

I experienced swelling of lymph nodes under the jaw and swollen knees several times. I think it's a sign of a lot of die off which is being drained out of the area by the lymphatic system. When there's a large die off of bugs, that would be accompanied by the release of toxins which can cause inflammation of the area, stimulating swelling.

My swelling was temporary. I don't have any explanation for having it for extended periods of times though, unless you've been having a continuous die off.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

psano2 - Good to hear that. From what yo said, it makes sense that it is not an allergic reaction to drugs. There is no irritating sensation other than the slightly puffy look.

We will just keep watching for a few days and see if it goes away.

Thanks for all who responded.

[ 06-20-2009, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: wtl ]

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have swelling in my eye lids even when I am not on meds. There is no irritation just swelling. Some days it goes away. I think I am holding fluid but don't know why.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this on my eyes. I haven't noticed if it is anywhere else on my face?

For detox she could try some herbs. I buy mine through this company.

Nature's Sunshine:
http://www.nsponline.com/us/index.aspx

The membership is free and you get money back if you spend so much.

Here is what I use:
~Liver Cleanse Formula (you can also use Milk Thistle)
~Bowel Detox
~Urinary Maintenance
~Lymphomax (detox for your lymph nodes)

Valerie recommended these to me and this company. Compared to other places I checked out they have good products for a good price.

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janis1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The facial swelling is the result of a possible allergic reaction to parasites, an unchecked inflammation cascade, Eosinophilic Fasciitis autoimmune disease or hereditary. Whatever the cause, the swelling is called angioedema.

It took me five years to figure this out. Concentrate on supplements that reduce inflammation and acidic ph.

Also really work on trying to relax. Stress can bring it on just as it can bring on an asthma attack.

Detox baths with epsom salt and hydrogen peroxide can also help.

Good luck to all.

--------------------
3 Strains Mycoplasma and Chlymedia 2001.
After treatment fine for all 2004.
Major symptoms since 2005.
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

Posts: 164 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Amy - Thank you for the reference from Valerie. I assume that once you become a member, you can order the product and have them shipped to you online?

janis - Thanks. That's a lot of info. I bet stress is a big factor. I will also look into autoimmune and hereditary part of your statement.

[ 06-22-2009, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: wtl ]

LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janis, would that mean that treating parasites would reduce the inflammation (if one were to try to detox while killing them)?
Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it gets shipped directly to you. I think I joined through her? I can't remember. LOL Maybe you can just join on their site? If you decide to join and can't get it to work let me know.

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna77
Member # 16737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I frequently get the puffy face. Mostly my eyelids and under my eyes. My LLMD told me this symptom was typical of Bartonella.
Posts: 9 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Well, there you go, Jenna. She definitely is bartonella positive. Maybe that's what she got. Today the puffiness seems to go away already.
janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janis1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LittleLymie19, I have an LLMD and an ENT who referred me to the LLMD. My ENT witnessed tissue swelling but until I saw angioedema on Mystery Diagnosis, looked it up and printed pictures of various swellings, did he realize that was it. Knowing I have Lyme he naturally decided to treat allergic reaction to parasites. I go everyweek for allergy shots and am shrinking little by little.

Meantime I am taking wormwood and samento for the parasites because it seems logical to me that eliminating the parasites would accomplish the same goal.

The autoimmune disease I mentioned is definitely linked to Lyme.

--------------------
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

Posts: 164 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tabby
Member # 13917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tabby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janis, Thanks for putting a name to what I've been dealing with for so long. I looked it up in detail and that definitly seems to be what it is.

Did your doctor give you any strong antihistimine to try and deal with it? And have any of your shots or herbs made a differance so far in the swelling?

Posts: 42 | From new york | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Hi Janis - Can you provide me a link to those pictures? I do not seem to be able to find it. Thanks.
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also look into Pyrroluria. You can do a search here.Its been around for a long time but new to lyme and chronic illness. It has a lot to do with not being able to detox and many other symptoms,one being swelling of face. I have the problem with the swelling in my face.Its also very uncomfortable. Hopefully the KPU protocal I am on will help.

[ 06-27-2009, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Healing in Santa Cruz ]

Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you are experiencing this, so am I and have been for years. It started with just my eyes swelling up like an allergic reaction or like I had been crying. Now my whole face swells up, sometimes worse on one side. My LLMD calls my face "puffy". I am really embarrassed about it because it makes me feel very ugly and not look like myself. When I smile my teeth barely show because they are my cheeks get so swollen. My face went from being slender to being pear shaped. I have a hard time detoxing so I would like to know whats the cause of this too. My lips and tongue also swell now as well. Ugh, lyme can cause anything... I also have horrible bartonella...

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

Tabby, I am so happy to have helped someone! They say this condition is rare, but I bet it's just NEVER DIAGNOSED.

I am taking Zyrtec on my own hoping to speed up process but Dr, did not tell me to. He just does 2 allergy shots, one is COT and one is homeopathic.

LULUFLORIDA, In the beginning I would tell people "I am not supposed to look this" but stopped bothering to cause they thought I was in major denial about how fat I was could not possiblity understand what I was talking about.

WTL: google Hereditary Angioedema. Their websites informs of all types of angioedema.

Later!

--------------------
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Thanks again, Janis. I saw some pictures and some of them are amazingly similar to what my wife looked like.

So I assume that you went to your regular doc for the allergic shots and then follow up your own by taking zyrtec? I will print some pictures up and try the doc here. I don't hold any hope though that she will know anything about Lyme though because in the past she agrees that ticks respect Ohio borderlines.

janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

wtl, No, I have fired both my recent regular doctors because I tried every way I could think of to get them to help me with the swelling and weight gain and all they would do is insult me and call me fat.

My ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctor is very much into alternative medicine. He gives me the allergy shots.

My LLMD now understands what I was talking about because he sees me shrinking and changing. At my worst I had no neck, no chin, stomach looked like I had a whole watermelon inside, legs and ankles were huge.

If I can figure how to post pictures I will show you.

I do not recommend this, but I read Danazol, a male (androgen) hormone sometimes fixes this, I ordered from an online pharmacy and it is really helping, too.

I will try anything to get rid oif this disfiguring horror. I told husband no sex till swelling goes down and it has been a long wait....

--------------------
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement