LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HELP! PAIN! Had GB surgery (no stones)...need info on recovery adn PAIN!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP! PAIN! Had GB surgery (no stones)...need info on recovery adn PAIN!!!
SLOTHLOVE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15274

Icon 9 posted      Profile for SLOTHLOVE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello

I just had a laproscopic cholecystectomy on the 16th of June. Since May 2nd 2009, I had an abdominal CT, an abodminal ultrasound and a HIDA scan which showed a 5% ejection fraction rate. after weighing options (and pain) i decided to get the gb removed.

the interesting thing is that i had no gallstones and no sludge. apparently that only happens in 5%-10% of the cases where a gallbladder needs to be removed. Mine just stopped working. They can't say for sure WHY but probably due to having a chronic illness (lyme).

My question is for those who had their gallbladders removed and who had no stones...what was your recovery like???? or for even those who did have stones?

My surgeon said i could resume "normal activities" the evening of my surgery. ahem. i didn't even resume "normal activities" by a lymie's standards. still haven't and its 6 days later.

My main concern is that i have a great deal of pain up under my ribs in back and side and in my lower back that shoots down to my hip. (right side..and its not sciatica). I called the surgeons office today and was told it was just gas.

Anyhting remotely jarring (yawning to stepping off a curb) really make it hurt. i walk hunched over clutchign my side/back. I know they inflated me during surgery but...could it STILL be form that 6 days later? still so much gas in tehre that it causes this level of pain?

I also asked the nurse/PA in the surgeons office if the inflammation from teh surgery could trigger a really bad case of lyme arthritis. they had no idea.

I thought i saw that some have herxed post-surgery? or that symptoms of a new infection emerged after surgery (like babs etc).

I can't find info on the effects of a gallbladder removal on people with lyme (surprise surprise) so i'm looking to you to share your experiences or ideas.

thanks so much!

oh..and for those who sent GB samples to Igenex...what were your results???!!!!

Sinjun

Posts: 148 | From Berkshire County, MA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having similar symptoms and had many tests. One thing that did finally show up is,

Papillary stenosis is a disturbance of the sphincter of Oddi, a muscular valve, that prevents the opening and release of bile or pancreatic fluids into the duodenum in response to food entering the duodenum.

Obstruction of the valve can cause:

pancreatic pain
jaundice - bile leaking back into the blood stream.
attacks of pancreatitis
Causes:

passage of stones
scarring
Gluten-sensitive enteropathy[1]
Autoimmune pancreatitis[2]

pancreatitis can cause your symptoms also.

I'm not saying that this is you but I would look into all possibilities if it were me.

P.S. My daughter in law had her Gall Bladder removed ,(Laproscopic) About a week on the couch
with pain meds.

Al

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to stay home for work for one week, but it

Really took me about two weeks to even think

About returning to work.

Still much better than the old type of surgery.

I had stones.

Had a pancreatitis attack about 4 years after my gall bladder was removed.

Unfortunately I was 36 weeks pregnant at the time,

So I just had to suffer through it.

Get your liver enzyme levels checked.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JesseSapp
Member # 16630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JesseSapp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just gas. Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one. For laproscopic procedures CO2 (carbon dioxide) is insuflated in the belly to facilitate visualization with the laproscopic instruments. Removal of the instruments at the end of the case allows the majority of the gas to escape, but some remains under the diaphram. The pain you are describing, which sometimes also radiates to the shoulders is very typical for the procedure. It is not lyme related, not related to inflamation - it's just gas. The carbon dioxide is absorbed by the body in 3-5 days. I PROMISE it's nothing to worry about.
Posts: 99 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JesseSapp
Member # 16630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JesseSapp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just gas. Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one. For laproscopic procedures CO2 (carbon dioxide) is insuflated in the belly to facilitate visualization with the laproscopic instruments. Removal of the instruments at the end of the case allows the majority of the gas to escape, but some remains under the diaphram. The pain you are describing, which sometimes also radiates to the shoulders is very typical for the procedure. It is not lyme related, not related to inflamation - it's just gas. The carbon dioxide is absorbed by the body in 3-5 days. I PROMISE it's nothing to worry about.
Posts: 99 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your pain sounds a lot like my pancreatic attack. When you talked to the doctor about the pain, did you mention the pain level by number? Certain medical procedures can trigger acute pancreatitis and it can be dangerous if not taken care of.

I had a pancreatic attack after a colonoscopy. I was still in the hospital recovering. My mom kept telling the nurse I had severe pain and she kept ignoring it saying it was common. As soon as I had my mom tell the nurse it was a 9 on the pain scale, she jumped into action.

Most people are not used to the same level as pain as we are. So they complain to doctors about much lower levels of pain. We must tell them our pain level when it is severe.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTH?

You could resume normal activities that evening?

My doctor told me at least 2 weeks, and I had the same surgery.

I didn't feel better for longer than that--and add to that the fact that I had a 3 year old and a 7 month old to care for at the time.

Yes, some of the pain could be gas released into your body during surgery, but if your pain continues and is severe, especially if you would start running a fever, I would call your surgeon and demand to be seen.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homeopathy works great for my kids...
one had dental surgery (gum graft) and only used homeopathic remedies afterward for the pain.

hoot

Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement