LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Methylene Blue, a potential Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease Cure?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Methylene Blue, a potential Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease Cure?
emla999/Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A century old drug, Methylene Blue, may be able to slow the progression or even cure Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080818101335.htm

Methylene Blue also possess some fairly strong antimicrobial properties. Methylene Blue can kill many forms of fungi, bacteria and parasites.

Methylene Blue has also been found to be an effective treatment for malaria in humans.

Methylene Blue may even improve your memory:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2040387

http://tinyurl.com/mm54yw

[ 07-02-2009, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: emla999/Lyme ]

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of antimicrobials that are possible

cures. Many have unknown properties. Like Indian

Pipe. Yarrow. ETC. Many could be explored with

Lyme. Getting back to our roots so to speak.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methylene Blue's anti-malarial properties have been known for over 100 years:

http://tinyurl.com/pockcp

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090520100506.htm

A new clinical trial:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00917202

I wonder if Methylene Blue would be effective for Babesia?

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how toxic is it?
Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for me to read tomorrow ...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not toxic at all.

quote:
MB isn't something brand new. It's been around for ages, used at concentrations way beyond 100nM (~1mg!) in humans

Considering ~200mg of MB is used routinely for methylhemoglobinemia, and anywhere from ~733mg (12mg/kg/day) to ~1,500mg (24mg/kg/day) in humans is used to treat malaria with few ill effects

(the minimal dosage needed to see any toxic effect what so ever from MB is estimated around 600mg from the rat toxicological studies)...

Source: http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=23947&view=findpost&p=303486

Methylene blue for malaria link: http://www.malariajournal.com/content/5/1/84

The thread is a long discussion on the long term use of MB.

They're discussing using it as an anti-aging agent. I take 200mcg or so every day.

I wonder if using it as an anti-parasite (higher dosage) will work as well.

Lots of interesting info in this thread.

MB is available as a lab chemical or from a fish store, where it's used to fight infections in fish ...
and it's pretty cheap.

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatColorGreen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatColorGreen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
isnt that one of the dyes used to stain bacteria in labs?

...interesting.

--------------------
...trying to be the coffee bean, not the egg.

Posts: 420 | From East Coast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Yep, it is the dye that's used to stain bacteria. But when given in the correct dosage Methylene Blue is considered to very safe when taken internally.

Methylene Blue is used in humans to treat the blood disorder, Methemoglobinemia or "smurf syndrome."

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/offbeat-news/blue-fugates-real-life-smurfs/5313

Methylene Blue has also been used as a treatment for various infections in humans because of it's anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and and anti-parasital/anti-protozoal propertie

lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all!!!

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so is anyone using this for PARKINSON'S only ??
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janice70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janice70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So who here will be the first to try it?
Posts: 311 | From CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ninjaphire says that they are already taking it in their post above.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ninjaphire:
It's not toxic at all.

FWIW - I did a quick google search on Methylene Blue toxicity and it turned up some stuff reported in Scientific Journals that may contradict that statement.

Particularly of note, for those taking antidepressants. It's toxic when taken with SSRIs.

It can also cause something called pseudo-cyanosis.

I would hope that anyone here would do their own research and talk to their physician before deciding to try taking anything they're not completely sure of, so I'm sure that my warning is probably not necessary, but I just felt compelled to share my own preliminary findings.

I like to try to check out things that look interesting, when I can, in case I ever feel I need to try them and happen to be in a bad brain fog or something at that time.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not saying it's definitely a bad thing, only that I wouldn't throw caution to the wind with it. It may cause problems for SOME people.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliG:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ninjaphire:
It's not toxic at all.

Particularly of note, for those taking antidepressants. It's toxic when taken with SSRIs.

It can also cause something called pseudo-cyanosis.

I like to try to check out things that look interesting, when I can, in case I ever feel I need to try them and happen to be in a bad brain fog or something at that time.

Well, pseudo-cyanosis is certainly not a risk at the dosages we're talking about (<1mg)

You're right, Methylene Blue is a MAO Inhibitor, and doesn't mix with SSRIs.

btw, Methylene Blue works nicely for brain-fog, but you gotta dilute it first.

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janice70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janice70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you measure the dose accurately? Does it come in pill form?
Posts: 311 | From CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

From what I have read, Methylene Blue seems to be a safe compound to take for most people.

But Methylene Blue should not be taken by anyone who has a deficiency of the enzyme G6PD (glucose-6-phosphate-dehydrogenase).

***Although, Methylene Blue may be safe for people with the G6PD deficiency when its taken in small dosages.

[ 06-28-2009, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: emla999/Lyme ]

ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Instructions for diluting MB starting with 2.303% solution for aquariums.

quote:
Originally posted by Lufega

A 2.303% solution is 2.303 grams MB per 100 ml solution or 23 mg/ml.

There are 20 drops to a ml so each drop will have 1.15 mg MB.

Now, I take 32 drops (=1.6 ml) of this (which equals 36.8 mg MB) and add it to 30 ml water.

This will equal 1.23 mg/ml. This divided by 20 = 0.0613 mg per drop, or 60 micrograms.

You can get a graduated cylinder to measure 30ml from ebay.

So take 1 drop 3x daily, that will maintain a relatively constant concentration of MB.

You can get 3X homepathic pills, but they are of unknown dosage.

If you can get a prescription, a pharmacy might be able to compound 60mcg of Methylene Blue.

ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

quote:
Originally posted by emla999/Lyme:
But Methylene Blue should not be taken by anyone who has a deficiency of the enzyme G-6-PD (glucose-6-phosphate-dehydrogenase)

Actually, low dose Methylene Blue (60 mcg) has an anti-oxidant effect rather than the pro-oxidant effect of higher dosages.

So it might be safe after all.

But I am not a Doctor or a Biochemist.

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Ninjaphire,

I am glad that you mentioned the 60 mcg dosage of Methylene Blue as being an antioxidant.

And it looks like you may be correct when you say that Methylene Blue may be safe for people to take that have the G6PD enzyme deficiency when it's taking in small dosages.

ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

I just wanted to add that at the 60 mcg dosage, Methylene Blue is not an MAO Inhibitor.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2078225

quote:
The IC50 value for MB inhibition of MAO A was 164�8 nM under this specific condition with 122 nM MAO A.
(The activity of MAO A was reduced to 50% at an 164 nM concentration of MB)

In contrast, no inhibition of MAO B was seen in the spectrophotometric assay at 100 nM.

1mg of MB = ~100nM in the human body
60mcg = ~6nM

There should be very little MAO Inhibition at 60 mcg.

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Here's an interesting article about the combination of Methylene Blue and Crystal Violet's usefulness in killing blood parasites.

http://tinyurl.com/nwbwko

A quote from that link:

"The two dyes appeared to wipe out any measurable concentration in the laboratory of T. cruzi from the blood samples, Ocariz said.

This means the dyes could prove a low-tech way to eliminate most of the parasites, allowing the body's immune system to fight the disease successfully.

The dyes also removed from blood a number of disease-causing organisms, including viruses and bacteria."

ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

quote:
Originally posted by emla999/Lyme:
Here's an interesting article about the combination of Methylene Blue and Crystal Violet's usefulness in killing blood parasites.

Here's a study of action against Malaria.
This one shows effectiveness at very achievable concentrations (10-20nM).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17890823

Hmm. I do notice that I feel drowsy if I take 1mg of Methylene Blue. Perhaps a Herx ?

This is very interesting stuff.

Edit: Bah. Added link.

[ 07-02-2009, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: ninjaphire ]

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

quote:
Originally posted by ninjaphire:

Hmm. I do notice that I feel drowsy if I take 1mg of Methylene Blue. Perhaps a Herx ?

Since Methylene Blue has antimicrobial properties I would have to think that it's possible.
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Ninjaphire,

I agree, this stuff is very interesting!!! And it just keeps getting more interesting.

Antitumor effect of Methylene Blue:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2806052

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7874686

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Methylene Blue may be useful for the treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) aka Lou Gehrig's Disease.

http://tinyurl.com/kpana6

Yama****a M, Nonaka T, Arai T, Kametani F, Buchman VL, Ninkina N, Bachurin SO, Akiyama H, Goedert M, Hasegawa M.

Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Tokyo Metropolitan Organization for Medical Research, 2-1-8 Kamikitazawa, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 156-8585, Japan.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and frontotemporal lobar degeneration with ubiquitinated inclusions (FTLD-U) are major neurodegenerative diseases with TDP-43 pathology.

Here we investigated the effects of Methylene Blue (MB) and dimebon, two compounds that have been reported to be beneficial in phase II clinical trials of Alzheimer's disease, on the formation of TDP-43 aggregates in SH-SY5Y cells.

Following treatment with 0.05 muM MB or 5 muM dimebon, the number of TDP-43 aggregates was reduced by 50% and 45%, respectively. The combined use of MB and dimebon resulted in a 80% reduction in the number. These findings were confirmed by immunoblot analysis.

The results indicate that Methylene Blue (MB) and dimebon may be useful for the treatment of ALS, FTLD-U and other TDP-43 proteinopathies.

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My goodness...start reading under medicine (uses)malaria, etc.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylene_blue

The terms "methylthioninium chloride" and "methylene blue" are sometimes used interchangeably

Chloride...Bb loves to trigger the chloride channels.

Could we use other (older) MAOIs? Or a patch called Emsam?

Under MAOIs and how they work...look at the list of "others"...several caught my attention!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase_inhibitor

Inhibits cGMP via inhibiting the enzyme guanylate cyclase?

"It (guanylate cyclase) catalyzes the conversion of guanosine triphosphate (GTP) to 3',5'-cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) and

pyrophosphate"

No pyrophosphate (= bisphosphate = 2 phosphates)?

GTP stays high? WOW!

GTP is essential to signal transduction, particularly with ***G-proteins***.

(GTP is readily converted to ATP.)

Phosducin- transducin beta-gamma complex. Beta and gamma subunits of ***G-protein***

See transducin?

Gβγ (G beta gamma) sometimes also have active functions, e.g., coupling to L-type calcium channels.

Go here again and watch the video animation very closely for GTP:

http://neurobio.drexel.edu/SesslerWeb/sessler.php

Watch what happens to the channel...it closes and "traps" Na and Ca IN the cell and doesn't allow any more IN.

Watch for the "white" GTP and how it impacts the "green" balls...and see how it impacts the channel on the right side.

IV injection of methylene blue:

http://www.rxlist.com/methylene-blue-drug.htm

More here:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ICAD/10320

My guess...IV needed, not oral.

Possible problems (adverse)...staining of the skin permanent?

[ 07-03-2009, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't want to read all the above...simplified, it keeps GTP levels up which closes the TRPM8 channel = Na and Ca can NOT go IN.

Bb needs Na and Ca.

You can WATCH this happen when photons (energy transfer) do the same. Video here:

http://neurobio.drexel.edu/SesslerWeb/sessler.php

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

So Marnie, do you think that Methylene Blue might be helpful in the treatment of Lyme Disease?
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Dr. Macdonald considers Alzheimer's to be a manifestation of late-stage Lyme disease.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/82272#000012

So Methylene Blue is potentially a good treatment for Lyme too. It certainly gives me increased energy.

yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like this stuff might be worth a try for Babesia.

I saw some Methylene Blue online at an aquarium supply store. It's pretty cheap - about $3.00 for a 4 Oz bottle!

Is it safe to ingest something from a fish supply store or does one need to procure medical grade substance?

Also, how long can somebody be on MB?

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good questions Yanivnaced. I think Ninja listed an aquarium supply as his/he source in a previous post.

I'd give it a go around.

Ninja, are you turning colors?

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

I got it from the aquarium store, simply because it was the quickest and cheapest way to get a hold of it.

Right now, I'm planning to use it indefinitely.

Yeah, something about get a few decades supply for <$10 really appeals to me. [Wink]

Tropical fish are very sensitive to heavy metals and the liquid is going to be diluted further anyway, so it should be pretty safe.

The 60mcg dose is far too small to cause color changes. Urine color hasn't changed either.

Edit: Darn, I always have to edit my post atleast twice. [Roll Eyes]
Not entirely sure what I can blame on Lyme anymore.

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Yanivnaced said:
quote:
Looks like this stuff might be worth a try for Babesia.
I agree.

Quite often a drug or herb that has antimalarial properties also posses anti-babesia properties. And since Methylene Blue has been clinically proven as to having antimalarial properties I can't help but wonder if Methylene Blue would help with babesia.

Also, I thought this was interesting.

Apparently, Methylene Blue was the first synthetic drug ever used to treat malaria. It was first used as treatment for malaria in the late 1800's. So, Methylene Blue's effectiveness against malaria has been known for over 100 years.

http://tinyurl.com/nafpyn

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17645185

karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has someone heard of a doctor using it for treatment?
Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Apparently, methylene blue is also a very effective antidepressant.

A controlled trial of Methylene Blue in severe depressive illness

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3555627

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6222095

emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Methylene Blue might also be an effective treatment for Bipolar Disorder

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00214877

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3965036

And manic depressive psychosis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6222095

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement