LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Migraines every 2 weeks? Anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Migraines every 2 weeks? Anyone?
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than migraines every 2 weeks or so, I am amazingly well. When I'm well, I'm very, very well.

Have been off abx for months now, and am functioning at around 80 - 90% on most days.

I have some worrisome symptoms that are creeping back, but can't bring myself to go back into major treatment.

LLMD has given me leave to use my judgment, and when I'm ready will re-start babs treatment if the symptoms come back.

But... am getting the same-old, same-old vicious have-been-whacked-in-the-head-with-a-sledgehammer right-sided headaches every 2 weeks.

They last 2 - 4 days, and range from a pain level 6 to a 10 (totally incapacitating, lying on the bed clutching my head).

These "headaches" - which have been called at varying times migraines and/or trigeminal neuralgia... they go down my neck, extend into the upper back... unbearable.

Often all I can do is lie on that side on an ice pack.

Butalbital takes the edge off so I can (somewhat) funtion.

And Icy Hot smeared all over that side of my neck, back and head seems to help as well.

Does anyone else get this?

What is causing the 2 week cycle?

Does this mean it's time to bite the bullet and go back to babs treatment?

Dreading the yellow goo,
Cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been my worst symptom Cactus. Everyday for 2 years I have had a headache. Then at about day 15-20 in my cycle (it varies) I get the sent from hell migraine. It lasts anywhere from 2-4 days....mostly about 3.

Like you, I am rendered useless. Narcotics do nothing. Head meds from the neuro, nothing. The best that I can do is spread the Tiger Balm, get a bag of frozen veggies and alternate it with my hot rice sock.

I was on Mepron for the last 2 months and THIS cycle I did not get the migraines. The daily headache is still there though.

Best,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching an alternative health show one day and the host was interviewing a patient and a doctor about using Vitamin B1 or B2 (sorry, I can't remember which...) for migraines. The patient said she had tried many Rx's and this vitamin therapy was the only thing that gave her relief. I also recall that it took a few months for it to "kick in". I can't remember the show's title, but wonder if a medline/pubmed search would bring something up.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. It helps to know we're all in this together.

Feelfit, like you - I've made friends with a few bags of frozen veggies. This is the pits.

Babs treatment has helped me in the past, too. I hope your headache-free run continues.

If not, we'll be migraine buddies.

Dawn, thanks for the Vit B info, and I will google it straight away. Anything to help.

Carol - hypercoagulation? That makes sense.

Where do you order your Wobenzym? I will try it. Thanks!

Still battling the sledgehammer-headache,
Cactus

--------------------

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LindaS
Member # 20251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LindaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My migraines...every two weeks, resolved with magnesium. If I miss the mag. I'll get slammed.

Linda S.

--------------------
Linda

Posts: 39 | From Lexington, Virginia | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Thanks, Linda. How much Magnesium do you take - and which kind, if you don't mind sharing?

--------------------

Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try bioidentical progesterone. Ou can find info on dosing online here:

http://www.migraine101.com/getprog.htm

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Shosty - thanks. All tools for the toolbox are helpful!!!

I would not have thought of progesterone, but that makes sense as many people report having less migraines post-hysterectomy (full).

I've had a partial hysterectomy, but have continued issues with endometriosis - and have hit a nice balance these days.

Whatever is happening hormonally (or not happening) seems to be helpful for the endo situation.

Would taking progesterone (even bioidentical) shift that balance, I wonder, and end up stimulating more estrogen production?

Something to ponder and research.

Muchas gracias!

--------------------

Shosty
Unregistered

My daughter also has/had endometriosis, and originally went on the progesterone for that. Then, she noticed that it helped her migraines (and seizure-like events too). After the endometriosis surgery was so successful, she tried going off but the migraines/neuro stuff was horrible, so she went back on. Then, we found a renowned neuroendocrinologist, who is chief of a large urban hospital dept., who has researched and included in his practice the use of bioidentical progesterone for migraines and epilepsy that are hormone-related.

So, what I am saying is, that you could use it for two things at once! The dosing is a little different for each. There is info on that same site (Elizabeth Smith on Dr. Lee). If you can't find it, I can try to send the links.

My daughter was originall diagnosed as estrogen-dominant, and had cysts, even before the problem w/endometriosis, so the progesterone opposed that.

However, after a few years, the neuroendocrinologist did say that a flare of her migraines might mean that she was on too much progesterone at this point (it accumulates in tissue) and that, as you said, it could be causing some erratic estrogen levels. So, she has gone down to 20mg for days 13-26, from a high of 50mg days 1-12 and 70mg days 13-26.

One other thing: do you know about excision for endo? There are controveries with endometriosis, just as there are with Lyme. Lupron, surgery, cauterization etc. versus excision w/scissors. PM me if you want doctor names. It was miraculous for our daughter, and for some others, but is not for everyone.

Lyme Newbie
Member # 19528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyme Newbie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had migrains everyday. Of coarse like everyone else nothing seems to help much. I have several different meds i can take to try to curb the headache as long as i can catch it early, but usually even this does not matter and WHAP it hits hard and fast.

I did finally went back to GP doc to see what other options for the headaches I had. I was shocked to find out that I actually had a rib out of place causing the headaches to be even more severe that what I normally get. He adjusted me and did a muscle stimulater(3 x's) and the headaches did lesson, no they did not go away, but a substantial difference. (my primary Dr is a DO)

I am not sure if this is the case for your or anyone else but it is worth checking into. I would have never guessed that you could put a rib out of place without being active! Go figure.

All I know is that although I still have the daily headaches I am not balled up on the bed wrenching in pain everyday. The meds seem to take most of the edge off so that i can function.

The way i see it is that at this point i am willing to do or try just about anything to feel partly normal in this vicious cycle. [Smile]

--------------------
Lyme Newbie...be easy

Posts: 3 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparrow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a lymie, but benadryl and Headon help my migraines. My daughter has an intractible headache and nothing helps her much, although Headon helps sometimes if it spikes too much.

Anyway, she spent some time in a headache clinic to try to help hers and one of the protocols was benadryl. It did not help her, but everyone is different.

Just thought I would mention those 2 meds because they are cheap and easy to get.

Posts: 177 | From God's Grace | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the members here has been saying that her LLMD (and I think it was *the* Dr. B) told her that babesia can have a one week and/or two week cycle.

So maybe it is from babesia.

Migraines are a babs symptom.

Maybe you could try knocking it down with herbals if you don't want to go back on prescriptions.

Something like Enula, or maybe cryptolepsis? I dunno. I would do artemisinin, but I think I remember that that is one you can't do. But since babs can form resistance, maybe put something like Zithromax with one of the herbs.

Good luck!!!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Anti-convulsants like Topamax have helped my daughter, and also acupuncture.

But if you have a problem every two weeks, the use of Topamax may not be warranted. If your migraines go on for days, every time, though, and especially if you get auras, you might want to ask to try something like that.

Lamictal is a great one too, or mixing the two (Topamax keeps weight down).

Have you tried triptans like Imitrex or Maxalt?

The fact that Icy Hot helps would seem to indicate a muscle involvement. Massage or acupuncture might help with that. Neck muscles and migraines interact in both directions.

We also know people who use Cymbalta for migraine.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement