LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » This Picc Line is driving me insane....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This Picc Line is driving me insane....
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

Icon 8 posted      Profile for AmandaM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate my PICC line. I despise it. I want it out. I hate it so much.

I can't find anything sufficient to cover this damn thing for daily use. I have tried everything over the last 3 months and I am at the point where I just want to rip it out with frustration.

Ive tried socks, stockings, and stockingette covers, etc. The stockinette covers stretch out after one minute of wear and the tube falls out. This isn't exactly okay since I ride the subway and go to work etc. I walk a half mile to work too and I just don't want the stupid thing flapping all over the place.

The stockings are just too tight and its summer and I am sweating like you wouldn't believe. I want something like a stockingette cover that is actually going to STAY on my arm. I want something that is medical -- something that isn't a sock. Something that is skin toned. Something that I can wear with dresses something that doesn't make me want to jump out the damn window.

I have spent over $80 on all of these failed attempts and I want to scream with rage. Nothing works.

I hate this.

--------------------
IgeneX Positive
IgM: 30 +, 31 ++, 34 +, 39 IND, 41 IND
IgG: 31 +++, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41 +++

Rocephin / Zithromax / Supps

Posts: 107 | From Plainview, New York | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wendihk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wendihk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I found this website, these look cool.http://www.designforyourlife.com/
Posts: 114 | From New York | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are neat -- but they are way too short for what I am looking for. I need something to cover my entire upper arm. They are also too "designy" as I wear dresses to work in the summer. I want something very toned down.

[Frown]

I have done so much research on this and it seems there is no solution for me.

I have been crying all day about it.

--------------------
IgeneX Positive

Posts: 107 | From Plainview, New York | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your infusion company didn't give you any? Mine gives me exactly what you need and they have all different sizes. I don't know where else to get them except through them. Next time they set up a delivery be sure to ask them if they have any. The kind I have are just plain white and they come long enough to nearly cover your whole arm.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have an infusion company anymore. I do this all on my own which is why I am so upset that I have spent so much money on all of this. I'm broke.

I have 3" stockinette covers right now and they are too big. I want to just cry.

--------------------
IgeneX Positive

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Amanda, I understand your frustration. I don't like the way the socks covers look either.

What works for me is a sports wrap called "Coban". It is thinner than the typical ace bandage, stretchier, and it sticks to itself. Because it sticks to itself it is easy to wrap around your own arm.

It also comes in flesh tones so it doesn't stand out so much. Costs about $2-3 at Walmart or any pharmacy. And one piece can be reused many many times. It eventually stretches out too much and loses its stickiness.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

I have tried those Coban things but the tubes also fell out of those. Maybe I wasn't using it right.

*sigh*

--------------------
IgeneX Positive

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coban is a wrap. As you wrap it around your arm, pull gently and allow it to overlap a little to help it stick together. If you pull too tight it will be uncomfortable. If it is too loose it will gap and your tubing will fall out.

It might help if you start by holding the end of the wrap in your one hand over the tubing (on the inside of your arm), then place your chin on the end of the wrap to hold it in place, bring the roll under your arm and around to the outside of your arm, then start wrapping from the top of your arm downward. That's how I do it, kinda hard to explain in words.

Keep trying, you'll find a way to make it work.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Or you can put on one of your loose stocking covers first to help keep the tubing in place then wrap your arm top to bottom. Might be easier for you.
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

Hehe I just did the chin thing -- I am wearing some now. I tried it again and I think this might work. I have to see how it holds up.

I know it seems silly that I am active and need a PICC but I guess I am more active than I would like to be. [Frown]

At least I am working, that's good - i just wish it wasn't such a dumb commute!

I am going to use this tape until it is gone and see if i should buy some more. Thank you for reminding me about this stuff.

<3

--------------------
IgeneX Positive

soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to tell you to hang in there... I'm working too and have had my PICC line since January. It's frustrating but really worth it to be able to have this treatment.

I cut the toe off of a flesh toned knee high nylon and it works really well. Of course, I'm super self conscious so I'm still wearing long or 3/4 sleeves to work, but it really doesn't look too bad. Cheap, too.

Hope it gets easier for you.

Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticked-offinNc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticked-offinNc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try coach wrap at walmart. sticks to itself, can reuse, wash etc. Comes on a roll, so you can cut the length you need.

Also, if you want colors, try a farm supply store, for vet wrap. Works like the coach wrap, an ace bandage that sticks to itself, water resistent. Costs about $2.50 a roll.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 261 | From Piedmont | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

Unfortunately we do not have any Walmarts near me. That's what I get for living on Long Island and in NYC lol. Seems ridiculous that I don't have one right?

I am trying to see if they have it on their website.

--------------------
IgeneX Positive

mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the slenderizing capris from Target and chopped out the panty. They have "fleshtone" and black. Worked perfectly.
Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatColorGreen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatColorGreen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i bought leg warmers from target; they have all kinds of styles... i just cut the foot off.

. i have picc covers for virtually every outfit [Big Grin]

--------------------
...trying to be the coffee bean, not the egg.

Posts: 420 | From East Coast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lnc2000
Member # 18440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lnc2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you try men's athelete socks
Posts: 36 | From Springfield VA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

I tried those athlete socks but they are quite tight and very thick.

[Frown]

--------------------
IgeneX Positive

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement