LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can you have "just" a co-infection? (Pls see my results)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you have "just" a co-infection? (Pls see my results)
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very confusing IgeneX results. They say positive for Bartonella titer and borderline ricksetta.

But, the Lyme itself IgeneX IGM results and CDC NYS results say negative.

IgM 31 ++
39 IND
41 IND
58+

IgG
41 +
45 +

So according to these boards this could be a positive. But according to CDC and IgeneX they are negative. My LLMD is treating regardless but now I'm royally confused because of the big words NEGATIVE from both IGeneX and CDC.

Could Bartonella be causing these skewed results?

GRRRR

Thanks

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd take that as a positive lyme test, especially with all the positive co-infections you have. It is possible to have co-infections with no lyme, but it's not very probable... especially when you get a test that shows those bands. IND are weak positives.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you ARE positive for LYME but do NOT MEET CDC STANARDS of enough protein bands to be "officially counted" for lyme!

yes, folks can have co-infections and NO LYME also; it's a mixed bag of tricks!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would still say you have Lyme if you have symptoms and your LLMD evaluated you.

I had several positive bands and several IND bands from Igenex, both IGG and IGM. but the combinations did not add up to a positive for the CDC or Igenex.

Still, with my symptoms and my LLMD's clinical diagnosis I began treatment. I feel 1,000 times better.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also would say yes. Was this done after a challenge? Anything is possible with Lyme and sounds like you are on a road to getting well.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you post the bartonella and ricketssia tests as well. Are there bands for those?

Band 45 is HGE related.

Yes according to some LLMD's you can have just the co-infections.

See IgeneX the double 31 band is quite significant for lyme.

Also see bottom paragraph, maybe the bartonella bands are active here- Anyone know?

For IgG antibodies, the 12 bands varied in their association with B. burgdorferi infection. Bands 23-25, 34, 39, and 83-93 kDa were highly significant markers for infection compared to both Groups 2 and 3. Band 31 kDa was rarely detected in patients within the first year of Lyme disease diagnosis. However, it was present in 87.5% of patient serum collected between one year and 13 years after initial diagnosis of Lyme disease--and was a highly significant marker for infection in this late Lyme patient group as compared to both Groups 2 and 3.

When compared only to uninfected controls (Group 3), bands 18, 41, and 58 kDa were also highly significant, suggesting that these bands are associated with many tick-borne infections, but not in other patients.

Discussion

The criteria currently recommended by the CDC for IgM and IgG WB positivity are based on studies performed before 1995. (9,10) The IgM WB criteria, based on the study by Engstrom et al., (10) included only early Lyme disease samples. At that time, there was very limited information on other diseases transmitted by the same tick that transmits B. burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme disease. It is now well known that the pathogens that cause diseases such as babesiosis, ehrlichiosis, and bartoneliosis are transmitted by the same tick that transmits Borrelia burgdorferi. Thus Lyme disease patients may be co-infected with these tick-borne diseases. (5,8,11,13,15,17,25) Therefore, it is important to determine which antibodies are shared by other tick-borne diseases and which antibodies are specific for Lyme disease.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More from ILADS on band 31:

For ``epidemiological purposes'' the CDC eliminated from the Western Blot analysis the reading of bands 31 and 34. These bands are so specific to Borrelia burgdorferi that they were chosen for vaccine development. Since a vaccine for Lyme disease is currently unavailable, however, a positive 31 or 34 band is highly indicative of Borrelia burgdorferi exposure. Yet these bands are not reported in commercial Lyme tests.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses guys

MarsyNY the ricksetta and bartonella titers are:

E. Chaffeensis IgM 1:20

B. Henselae IgM 1:40

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonsnotlymes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonsnotlymes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be dealing with just coinfections.

I never tested positive for Lyme, just positive for babs and mycoplasma.

I have only been on antibiotics since the beginning of March. Amox for Lyme and Biaxin for babs. Then plaquenil and tons of supplements and herbals.

I feel absolutely OUTSTANDING. With in the last month ALL of my symptoms are gone.

My llmd just told me last week that I may be one of those rare cases where I am dealing with just coinfections (and viruses) because I made such fast progress. Or, she thought maybe I had a very low level of lyme.

She is going to wean me off of the amoxicillan soon and just keep me on Biaxin for a few more months. Then, herbals a lot longer after that.

Now, I will say she also told me in the beginning that she has had many test negative to Lyme on Igenex, but after a few months on abx the patient tested positive.

Posts: 103 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemons-congrats on your progress. It's so wonderful to hear stories such as yours; keep up the great work. God bless you.
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement