LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » A health care executive talks about health in America

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A health care executive talks about health in America
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last month, testimony in front of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation by a former health insurance insider named Wendell Potter made news even before it occurred:

CBS NEWS headlined: "Cigna Whistleblower to Testify." After Potter's testimony the industry scrambled to do damage control: "Insurers defend rescissions, take heat for lack of transparency.

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=99137237100&h=o8zbL&u=Qg19q&ref=nf

Not sure where to put the above link. I have only listened to part of it so far.

The part about changing business hit home with me. When I was in the process of trying to get a dx, the state of CA was also in the process of raising our monthly premiums.

I would need to pay $1200 a month for one person for health care. Before this, I was paying $800 each month from my pay check.

It took over 35 doctors and 18 months for me to finally get a dx and start treatment.

The monthly premium did help to eliminate MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Parkinson's, Al's and other conditions that were considered, but the system let me down as far as lyme and company.

And I did notice that our health care system needed help. Business was coming first over my health.

So this is kind of lyme related and kind of not.

Going back to listen to the rest of the video now.

If you feel I need to post this under off topic, let me know and I will.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic is featured (right now) on Bill Moyers journal...

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree and support Obama's efforts to reform .
If the reform is put off , it will not be long before most businesses refuse to offer coverage for employess anyway and the healthcare industry
will have no sufficient customer base .

I was at a healthcare reform meeting ( ina very republican area ) where two doctors agreed the system HAS to change .

I respectfully do not agree with the insurance companies getting away with discriminating against those who have preexisting illnesses .
I told my Republican doc that I believed the healthcare providers were crooks , and he replied " I agree ."

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it has to change. We know that. But at what cost and direction. If the US goes in the way of

Europes health care in which all are covered under one plan it will be a sad day. All have something

to complain about. Cap agencies here. I don't think any will agree to that. So where does that lead?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pinelady and everyone else really. Go watch "Sick Around the World" on Frontline PBS website. I see your comment on what you seem to have been told about Europe so you could learn a lot from this video. I'd say watch Sicko but some people don't like the way whatshisname adds in humor.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pryorka, right on the money! The PBS documentary is leaps and bounds better then sicko for so many reasons...

--------------------

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pinelady:
If the US goes in the way of Europes health care in which all are covered under one plan it will be a sad day.

Pinelady,

You are not well informed. There are many countries in Europe and every one has a different health system.

Some of these systems are better and some are worse. But I wouldn't want to trade any of them in for the US-system.

The US has now the unique chance to examine all these different systems and pick the best one for you. Or to come up with an even better one.

In my opinion it can only become better for you.

Gabrielle in Europe

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Gabrielle,

I don't think America has the collective will to simply "assess, build and replace" the current health care system. Just because Taiwan (and other countries) did, it doesn't mean we can. It's a grossly disorganized system, with business interests defining the game rules. The business dynamics (umm, entrenched business interests?!) and very different in this country than in others.

Bill Moyer did an amazing job making this case, some of it is found here:
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/blog/2009/07/assessing_a_public_option_for.html

I think it will be replayed on PBS...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement