LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mino.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mino.....
kreynolds
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15117

Icon 14 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

Well haven't been on in a while, but wanted to update all.

I have been off IV for 6 weeks and I currently am on Mino,Zithro,Bactrim,Malarone and Tindamax.

To be honest with everyone, the straight year that I was on IV, I felt no difference.

To me it seems like Mino is one of the better ABX out there.

I have been on IV Doxy,Penicillin,Zithromax,Tygacil,Clindamycin,
Vancomycin and Invanz and felt nothing....

I don't know if it is the freedom of not having to do IV 2x a day that makes me feel more sane or the fact that maybe Mino is the key.

I still have the port in place (not accessed) so if the doc and I feel it is necessary to go back on IV, I can.

Well I don't know where I am going with this, but figured I would let everyone know whats going on.

The Zithro is a really high dose and I DO feel it! My ears mainly.....

I can't say I am feeling any better, but I think my morale is up!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does it feel in year ears? I get tightness so bad that I won't try it again with Zithromax. They get really sensitve and start hurting and ringing from louder enviroments like a movie theater.

Tried Bactrim recently and got the same effect after just 4 days [Frown] .

Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the mino is or is not helping?

Is it making you herx, you mean?

Because you seem to be saying mino is better for you than the IVs, but then you say at the end you can't say you're feeling any better. So I'm confused!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
radfaraf,

They get really sensitive and get the ringing in the ears...

Hoosiers51,

I am not sure if it is making me herx. I feel no difference between IV and oral is what I meant.

I can tell you that it is very strong stuff.

Sorry about making you confused, I was just making the point that the IV was a pain and the Oral Mino seems to be having a better effect.

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njgirl14
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njgirl14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kreynolds

i am on a similar protocol mino, zithro, mepron and will probably add bactrim in next.

what is your dosage of mino and zithro?

Posts: 262 | From nj | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
400mg of Mino and 1200mg of Zithro a day

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

hope4sofia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hope4sofia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I'm still an newbie. What is Mino short for?

--------------------
Sofi

Posts: 150 | From Northern California | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Minocycline, it's a tetracycline, like doxycycline...

Hope that helps!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is the sun sensitivity issue with the mino?? I know it is supposed to be less than with doxy, but it seems so extreme with doxy!

I want to switch from doxy to something that doesn't cause the sun sensitivity for the summer. I'm on the doxy for a recent tick bite (again?!) and as an additional abx to rocephin.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

I was on IV Doxy and oral Doxy and the sun was unbearable.

I had to live like a hermit. With the Minocycline it doesn't bother me as much.

I am able to stand in the sun for a long period of time unlike with the Doxy.

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROY, WELCOME BACK !!! we were so worried about you and you hadn't posted on your caring bridge site too.

PINELADY wants to hear from you; perhaps pm her and include your link here; she asked that i contact her but i have to dress & leave in minutes for a funeral.

again, THANKS FOR CHECKING IN !!! hugs/kisses to you and special katie and son!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kreynolds, glad to see you back and doing ok (considering). Glad you aren't struggling with IVs at the moment, since you mention they have been a pain.

I am confused by your posts about minocycline, though, and am hoping you can help a brain-fogger out hehe. What do you mean by this?:

quote:
Originally posted by Kreynolds:
To me it seems like Mino is one of the better ABX out there.

the Oral Mino seems to be having a better effect.

I can't say I am feeling any better

I am not sure if it is making me herx. I feel no difference between IV and oral is what I meant.

To try to clarify my question, what is the effect? and why is it a better effect? When you say it is better, or effective, but yet you aren't feeling any better, what do you mean? Do you mean you think you may be finally herxing? But then you say you feel no difference between your IVs and the mino? I know that was a mess of confusing questions, I apologize.

I took mino for a while but had to stop since it was causing massive herxing and then worse, but I am always interested in how others respond to it, because it was effective for me for a while (meaning I had a herx and improvement pattern).
Thanks in advance for your patience! [insert bonking over my goofy head with mallet emoticon]

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

nenet,

Sorry about the confusing post. It was late at night and I was in a zombie state.

I was trying to say that the Mino seems to be hitting me the hardest ( all around).

I get small herxes from it and never have for a long long time.

I was also stating that in my opinion, it is one of the best ABX out there.

Although I don't feel any better, I know its doing more than the IV meds were.

Also the freedom of not having a PICC in or an accessed port is enough to brighten my day.

Does that help? [Smile]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that really helped, thank you! I am very glad to hear it is having an effect and making you herx. For many it is too effective and makes them herx too strongly (like me), so I can absolutely see where you are coming from, that it is finally making you herx.

As I understood it from my LLMDs, Mino has the best BBB penetration of the tetracyclines, at least of the oral forms.

Good luck with your continued treatment! I think I recall my first window of feeling a little better happened a few weeks after beginning treatment with mino. But again, I was on super tiny doses - 25mg every 3 days was all I could handle.

That window was a day where I actually managed to go with my husband to the store in the car, and then walk through the giant grocery store. This was my first time being able to do something like this in years.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can children take Mino or is it a teeth discoloring issues like doxy?

Thanks-

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njgirl14
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njgirl14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kreynolds

wow those doses are much higher than mine. i am sure i am low at 200mg mino, 500mg zithro iv, and 2 tsp mepron a day. i tried to go up to 1000mg zithro oral and herxed extremely hard so had to back down.

glad you think this combo is working.

Posts: 262 | From nj | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

2roads,

How old are your children?

My son is 3 and has Lyme and Bartonella and was prescribed suspension Zithro.

I think most pediatric LLMD's start with the Zithro because many of the ABX's are too strong for them to handle.

njgirl14,

I am on 400mg Mino, 1200mg Zithro, Malarone 500/200, Bactrim DS, Artemesia etc.....

Beleive me, I feel it... The Mino and Zithro combo are enough to knock me to the floor! [bonk]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement