LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need help making a decision about picc line

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help making a decision about picc line
MrsScampi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsScampi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone

First I will tell you a little bit my 18 year old daughter has been sick for 6 years we have gone to the best Dr J in CT, he has tried every combo possible, she test positive for lyme and babesia also clinical bart, she lays in bed day after day and crys because the pain is so bad. Dr J refered us to a neuro who thinks IVIG and IV antibiotics are where we are at. Also Dr J thinks Polyneruopothy I also agree.

The reason for my writing is my sister went to UMASS in Worc MA today because she also has lyme and has been infected for at least 20 years, she has 16 seizures a day she is really bad sometimes she cant even walk, anyways a neruologist there told her not to get a picc line because most people die from it or get severe infections, I tried to tell her that this is one person opinion.

She screamed at me saying she would never get a picc line and that I was crazy to consider for my daughter and myself.

I believe Dr J and her Neruologist that she needs this she has no life and hasn't for years

Can anyone offer any advice

Thanks so much

Posts: 200 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would defintely go for the PICC. Think it was what helped my daughter over the hump.

Yes, it has some risks and 1st few days were scary but we had weekly visiting nurses to check things.

Daughter did have to have PICC line pulled after 1 month because of site infection but no further problems from it once removed.

Posts: 126 | From MD | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It helped me get over the "neuro hump" as well.

I did have to have it pulled early b/c of blood clots, so it certainly does come with some real risks, but I am still glad I did IV ABX.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has had a central line in for over one year and a half for IVIG and IV antibiotics. No infections, no problems.

In the past year and half he has made great recovery. He's at about 90% at this point. He has stopped taking Vicodin because he now has very little pain and he has regained muscle and strength.

On just orals my husband continued to spiral downward. Sometimes oral isn't enough.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a PICC with no problem.

I had a central line for 6 and 1/2 years.

The IV turned my life around!!

Scare tactics are most often used by the IDSA camp.

Good luck!

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my PICC in for over a year and had no problems whatsoever. Just keep it clean always sanitize the connections really well and just use common sense.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two PICCS two years apart. No problems at all. Keep it clean and dry.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a girl that was totally disabled from lyme. She needed IV antibiotics and IVIG. She has been doing IV ABx everyday and IVIG once a week. I think she started about 6 months ago...

She is now going to school 2 days a week, goes on a field trip with her family once a week, and is up and walking/doing things on her own now.

It has not been easy for her with all the herxing at the beginning, but her mom says she is now showing improvement every week.

Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that people balk at PICC lines for Lyme disease, but hospitals put them in all the time for patients who need care for other diseases?

If they were so dangerous hospitals would be loath to use them.

Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are risks associated with PICC lines and there are complications with untreated Lyme disease. You have to weigh the risks with the benefits. If you've tried everything else it may be time to move on to IV. Your doctor should help guide you in this decision.

I wish that I had listened to my doctor and gone to IV months ago. He told me over and over that I needed it but I didn't want to deal with the IVs. I too was scared of the complications. Eventually my Lyme symptoms grew scarier than the potential PICC complications. I'm finally seeing improvement with a combo of IV and oral meds.

If you choose to get a PICC try your best to take good care of it. Keep it clean and dry. If you think that there is a problem you can always have it pulled and replaced.

Good luck in your decision.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PICC is the way to go. I never really found it an inconvenience except when I wanted to go swimming.
It is easy, and that way you can get the meds that really work well.

I got my first PICC line at 20. Its pretty easy.

I did end up with the complications of having a picc line. While climbing over a fence (I am such an idiot, I was feeling the best I ever had and for some reason it did not strike me as the bad idea it was...) I fell, and caught myself with my PICC arm twisting it around. Over night, I developed 7 blood clots and had to be in the hospital for a while and then on a lot of blood thinners, but now i am out of the woods and actually about to get a new one.

1# advice: DONT EVER BUMP THAT ARM! EVER! and everything will be fine.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, to clarify that i am not completely an idiot, the 'fence'(actually more like a wall) was only 2 feet high. when I jumped down from the 2 feet up my sandle broke which caused the fall that made me use my arm... [bonk]

but picc lines are great...

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement