LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doxycyline herxing or?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doxycyline herxing or?
happygranny
Member # 8779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygranny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been a long time since I have posted here. Between my husbands health issues and my not getting anywhere after almost 3 years of abx, I stopped taking any and figured I really must have FMS and CFS not Lyme. It is a long story, but I did test low positive with WEstern Blot in February '08. Had a clinical Dx from an LLMD in November '05.

When I stopped ABX in April, I had a lot of peripheral and joint pain, but my energy levels were not too bad.
Recently I have become very sick again, not just increase pain, but very decreased energy, mental allertness and depression.

The Pain Management doctor I have seen agreed to put me on Doxycyline because, even if I don't have Lyme, Doxy does help with pain.

I am starting at 100 mgs twice a day, which I know is low. But the way I feel I wouldn't want stronger yet.

Started two days ago. It has to be taken away from food I read in the info sheet. Within 45 mins I felt increase in joint pain and some nausea. In the morning I took it on a empty stomach and within 30 mins I had again, the increase joint pain - burning, and all-over sick feeling, and some nausea.

The last 2 years I have found myself to be more and more senstive to abx. I could not tolerate bicillin injections. Even 1 injection every 3 weeks caused a lot of pain and I don't mean in the injection site. I mean all-over burning.

Can someone relate to this in any way?

Today I took the Doxy with small amounts of food and it wasn't as intense, but still there. Can a person herx within an hour of taking their first doxycyline of 100 mgs?

Any thoughts please?

Thankyou,

happygranny

--------------------
Dxd clinical Nov 05 - March 08 tested low pos. from Igenex Started Bicillin/Flagyl Oct 2008 was on Ketek Tinidazole prior -
PN, concentration low, tinnitus, PVCs, sore lymph nodes, hair loss, joint pain with some swelling, muscle tenderness.

Posts: 56 | From Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was so very sick when I started doxy.

I couldn't tell you how soon I felt worse.

It was pretty quick though.

I remember because my brain could not wrap around the

Increased illness. I kept waiting to feel better....not worse.

I always took my doxy with food.

I am sure you can herx fairly quickly.

Bumping you up for other opinions.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hope4sofia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hope4sofia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't herx that quickly on Doxy but I did have a fairly quick reaction to zithro and artiminisin. Who's to say?

I was told to take doxy with food but not minerals like from a vitamin or calcium. The one time I took my doxy and zithro without food I ended up throwing up within 30 min.

--------------------
Sofi

Posts: 150 | From Northern California | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happygranny
Member # 8779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygranny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your responses Geneal and hope4sofia, it sure goes to show the differences amongst us all in our responses to abx. It is hard to find what works individually.

I herxed 3-4 days with ketek and 2-3 minocycline and immediately with bicillin injections.

It is good to know you both took your doxy with food. It definitely says on my info sheet to take 2 hours after a meal or 1 hour before a meal. That does not work for me, but I am avoiding the minerals, vitamins and dairy when close to doxy-time. And eat small amounts....

Geneal, do you remember increased burning in joints? For me it is my hands, wrists and feet that are the worse and boy do they ever burn more within a short time after taking the Doxycycline.

Thanks,

Jeannie

--------------------
Dxd clinical Nov 05 - March 08 tested low pos. from Igenex Started Bicillin/Flagyl Oct 2008 was on Ketek Tinidazole prior -
PN, concentration low, tinnitus, PVCs, sore lymph nodes, hair loss, joint pain with some swelling, muscle tenderness.

Posts: 56 | From Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently started taking low dose doxy. I started herxing 2 weeks and 3 days after starting it. The herx has caused an increase in all my pain, fatigue, anxiety, brain fog, etc.

My doc said to always take doxy with food!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I had a major increase in joint pain and burning with doxy.

Call your LLMD tomorrow and run it by them just to be safe though.

Remember not to drink milk with your doxy.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It says to take doxy before or after a meal, but the truth is, if you take doxy on an empty stomach, you will have horrendous nausea, reflux, hearburn, you name it.

So, you MUST always take it with food. You just have to.

It really sounds to me like the doxy is working for you!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happygranny
Member # 8779

Thanks for the input Geneal and TF.

Unfortunately I do not have an LLMD, the doxy was Rxd by my pain management doctor who is not convinced I have Lyme, but thinks the doxy will help with the pain as it does for RA. My GP would Rx ABX for me if I ask him as he has in the past, but he does not have much knowledge on the topic of Lyme, just believes it is there and is willing to stick his neck out and RX when other doctors won't.

so I don't have anyone to run this by besides boards like this.

Today the most debilitating symptoms is the exhaustion that comes on about 1 1/2 hours after taking doxycyline. It lasts about 2 hours and I am starting to come around now. I can sit up and do things without wanting to head to the sofa to nod off again. Is that herxing? I hope so.
Jeannie

--------------------

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could well be herxing.

If it slowly goes away the longer you take the doxy, that will indicate that it definitely was a strong die-off reaction to the doxy--which is great.

It's just what you want.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joint pain from doxy is definitely a herx.

If you continue taking it without food, you will destroy your stomach. Pretty hard thing to fix!!!!

Be sure to avoid dairy though.

and yes, you can herx within one hour of taking an abx for Lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement