LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Test results/Dr. called today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Test results/Dr. called today
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fran_40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
Well, I called my Dr. to ask about test results to see what they said.

He said that it showed that I have a high count of inflammation in my body.

(I don't recall the type of test that shows this in my blood)

He wants to prescribe an anti-inflammatory to help me with pain and says that antibiotics won't help in this area.

He needs to look over all blood work but this is what he see's as a problem for me.

Also,rheumatoid arthritis runs in my family.

Should I take an anti-inflammatory? Will this affect the antibiotics from doing their job?

I guess he wouldn't prescribe it if it did.

He told me to go ahead with Igenex testing, since I still haven't done that.

Nothing showed as far as Lyme disease goes, but I was diagnosed in 2002.

A positive Elisa and only one band showed 23 IGM +, do I still have Lyme?

I have all of the symptoms of it.

Just would like some input. Thanks, Fran

[ 07-22-2009, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: Fran_40 ]

Posts: 72 | From South Jersey | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Fran,

Most anti-inflammatories don't interact with antibiotics. However, some anti-inflammatories can be hard on your stomach.

As for Lyme disease- what treatment did you get in 2002? Lyme can cause inflammation, and symptoms like RA. The testing is a good idea, but if I were you, I would make an appointment with an LLMD as well.

P.S. Your P.S. made me realize- I used to have trouble reading posts like this, but today I'm not! Hooray!

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fran_40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your reply Nicole.

I did do a little research on the anti-inflammatories and I did see that as a precaution.

Ok, as for Lyme disease it said in my chart I was given doxycline as treatment. 40 pills were given. I do not recall this treatment but do remember being given prednisone for inflammation at the time of my diagnosis.

I have a Dr. that is Lyme literate, and treating someone from here. He takes my insurance as well. Thanks again for your reply.

Any other replies are much welcome! [Wink]

Posts: 72 | From South Jersey | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only had band IgM 23 reactive as well.

I definitely have Lyme and babesia and bartonella.

Doxy has an anti-inflammatory benefit to it.

Are you taking doxy?

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like it's time to get a new doctor. Nothing I see here suggests your doctor knows about Lyme?

40 pills of Doxy and that's it? And the steroids likely only made it worse. Are you sure you are working with someone that knows how to treat Lyme disease? I'm not sold.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Hi SForsgre,
Here is my history of Lyme disease. When diagnosed I was seeing my family physician. I no longer see him any more.

I now travel 2 hours away to see a Dr. that was referred to me by someone here that is still suffering and I was given good recommendation.

He is treating me now with Amoxy and Biaxin, high doses.

Here is my story:
I'll share my story. In 1996 I had gall bladder surgery, before surgery I was having heart palpitations.

It was very annoying, to the point it was giving me anxiety. I saw my pcp for this and they have always told me it was MVP (mitral valve prolapse)

Before my gall surgery, I had a pretty normal life.

They gave me a routine check before surgery,and I was given some antibiotics for my heart.

What was suppose to be a Same day surgery for a gall removal ended up being an overnight stay.

I had severe heart palpitations,and thought I was going to have a heart attack.

My heart beats were 200bpm. I was prescribed Tenormin right then and there. I went home for
recovery, and the night mare began.

My whole nervous system went haywire. Went to my PCP again, he told me I was experiencing GAD general anxiety. I said how can this be? I was normalbefore?

I said I feel like this isn't my body? I was given anti-depressants etc. drugged up.

I tried going back to work, and would have extreme anxiety and panic attacks out of the blue.

In 2002 I woke up with swollen hands and feet, and flu symptoms. No tick bite or any rash that I knew of.

Went to PCP, they tested me for Lyme and
bingo it came out positive. Could this all be
symptom of Lyme? Is this the mystery diagnosis after all these years? Well now I know I have it.

Being treated now by an LLMD but this is my story.

Tested positive for Lyme with Elisa test.
23IGM band positive.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think your family with RA should be tested, too. Often Lyme is misdiagnosed as RA.

Sounds like you have Lyme. In the future, don't take Prednisone, it's counter-indicated in Lyme Disease, it makes it worse.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SForsgren:
[QB] Sounds like it's time to get a new doctor. Nothing I see here suggests your doctor knows about Lyme?

40 pills of Doxy and that's it? And the steroids likely only made it worse. Are you sure you are working with someone that knows how to treat Lyme disease? I'm not sold.

YIKES. Way undertreated.. and steroids!!?? Your Igenex test results should be interesting. I hope they were not skewed by the prednisone.

A positive ELISA and band 23 means a LOT.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Hi everyone,
I hope I am not confusing everyone here. When first diagnosed in 2002 my family Dr. gave me Doxycycline a total of 40 pills, and also prednisone for treatment. The protocal, according to IDSA guidelines.

I was retested a year later 2003 and my family Dr. dismissed Lyme as any cause for my illness.

I also was uneducated about Lyme disease. Since my health has deteriated and I have other problems, luckily someone pointed me in the right direction of Lyme, otherwise I would still be lost.

I wasted about 7 years with this Dr. I have now moved on to a new LLMD. He is treating me with ABX now, because I have a history of other family members with RA I think he see's this as a red flag.

He is not in any way dismissing my Lyme disease prognosis. I am in the beginning stages of real treatment. I just wanted you all to know this.
Thanks, Fran

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fran from what I have understood from Igenex they

need blood with no antibiotics for at least 10 days

before draw. I would call them and ask before

possibly wasting your money.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Hi Pinelady,
Thanks for that helpful info. as I did not know that.

I definately don't want to waste money! Thanks!

nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pinelady is right. I believe Dr. C recommends at least 10-14 days, at the very minimum.

As Lymetoo said, your positive ELISA is remarkable. Your WB band 23 is VERY significant.

Please read the following, as it will help you understand your testing results, and what the weak points of testing are. It will also explain the best way to go about testing, to get the best possible (most accurate) results:

Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/42077

"23-25: Outer surface protein C (osp C)."

This antibody is SPECIFIC to Lyme. No other way to have this, other than being infected with Lyme.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Thanks so much Nenet,
I will definately look at this. I sometimes feel I am in denial of this disease. I guess because it's partly due to the lack of knowledge in our medical community.

Also, I feel like family members don't even believe me. I guess its why I keep questioning the results too. My LLMD prescribed me mobic for inflammation. I am not thrilled in taking it.

I may hold off in taking it, and try alternative, natural methods. Reading the side effects of this med makes me too uneasy. Also, reading about what inflammation can do to our bodies, is something else thats a little bit scary too.

Just gonna do the best I can. Thanks all!! [group hug]

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us face what you are and many of our family members don't understand.

Wobenzym, or zyflamend and high doses Fish oils are some natural things that will help with inflammation.

I would not take that drug either.

http://www.newchapter.com/products/zyflamend

Start a separate post. So many on this site are using natural anti-inflamatories and there are many types and other supplements to take together with them.

Sorry don't have time to go thru them now. Here is a link about zyflamend http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/81673?#000000

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Thanks Abxnomore,
I would much rather try something natural over something that is man made. The potential health risks for taking the Mobic are very scary to me.

Heart attack and stroke? No thanks, I'll leave it alone! I've already got a heart that gives me palpatations, so this is definately something I don't want to take, regardless if any Dr. prescribes it to me.

I was getting lazy with my vitamins, looks like I am going to keep that up as well.

Thanks for the link on Zyflamend, looks like something I'd be interested in. Much appreciated. Fran

kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fran,

Hey! Its Katie

I just wanted to welcome you to the site!

I am really glad you are posting and getting

some information/feedback!!!!!

How are you feeling?

This illness is tricky but dont be discuraged.

keep your head up & mind positive!!!!!

Talk to you soon,
Katie

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a bit more time now. These are some of the supplements that will help with inflammation and pain. Some are already in the Zyflamend formula.

Fish oils/omega 3's
Nattokinase
wobenzym
neprinol
Turmeric
lumbrokinase
Vitimen E
Bromelain
ginkgo
ginger

None of these will cause any bad side affects or mess with your stomach. They will provide other beneficial effects, as well.

Hang in there....chin up!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement