LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » traveling with IV meds (and how do I get a dressing change out of state??)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: traveling with IV meds (and how do I get a dressing change out of state??)
SunRa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3559

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, If by some miracle I feel somewhat better by mid Aug, then I'm going out to WA and British Columbia for a couple weeks (my sister's wedding so I reallyreally want/need to go)

My home health nurse said I can't travel while on IV (and I didn't even mention that it was across the country and then to Canada), but I'm confused b/c I know a lot of other lymies do. my dr says it should be ok as long as I can find a nurse to do a dressing change since I'll be away almost 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about all this?

also, I have a long flight to Seattle, then a ferry ride to Canada, so I'm also worried about how to travel with all my meds and supplies (especially going through customs).

the good thing is that it's all kept at room temp....bad part is that I have to do the abx 3X/day as well as 1L of fluids daily, so it's a LOT of stuff...and heavy too.

I'm assuming I'll need to bring it all as carry-on? [Eek!] with the 3oz liquid policy, will they even allow that much stuff?

not to mention all my oral meds and supplements. yikes. I'll bring a dr's note which will hopefully help.

I've had a lot of complications with my recent PICC lines and have needed constant monitoring and nursing visits so I'm nervous about the possibility of having problems so far from home. But, (fingers crossed) my current line seems to be going well. So if I'm feeling any better by then I really want to try to go.

any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks so much [Smile]

[ 08-07-2009, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: SunRa ]

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, first I would call your airline and tell them what you will be traveling with. Then, see if you can put some in your carry bag and backup stuff (liquid) in your checked luggage.

As far as PICC line dressing changes, my 14 year old and my husband help me with mine; I don't call the nurse out to to that. Would you be comfortable having the nurse train someone that will be going with you?

When you say problems with your line that would concern me as far as traveling. What kinds of problems?

And definately a drs note listing all your meds and the amounts will help you get through security. Oh, and I think they may have lifted the liquids limit on airlines recently; not sure, you would need to check. Hope this helps.

Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take all your liquid IV stuff with you as long as the prescription labels are on them and they are sealed. I had no problems with that even though I got selected for the "random" security check because I'm a young male and I look like completely $&#^ now. So apparently lyme can make us look like terrorists.

Make sure you take it as a carry on though just in case they lose the luggage you check.

Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Snailhead, thanks for your response. good call about talking to the airline. I'm a little worried about checking the IV meds though in case my luggage gets lost, and I also don't know if it will be too hot in the cargo area.

I would definitely be comfortable doing the dressing changes ourselves but my doctor advised against it in my case.

with the first PICC I had placed last month, I had a lot of problems which ultimately led to it being pulled a week later. (heart palps, chest pain, severe pain/redness/swelling in arm, etc...an ultrasound showed the vein had collapsed and developed a blood clot)

with my current line I've had a few complications but the biggest problem has been a severe allergy to the dressing. I developed hives and blisters which oozed very close to the insertion site, causing a risk of infection. But after lots of good care and monitoring, and experimenting with different tapes and skin preps, we finally found a good combo and my skin is healing well.

since it's ok right now, I feel fairly confident that I could travel with it, especially since I could always go to an ER if any problems arise.

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pryorka, thanks for the info!

"I got selected for the "random" security check because I'm a young male and I look like completely $&#^ now. So apparently lyme can make us look like terrorists."

[lol]

lyme hasn't affected how I look which sucks when trying to get people to understand how sick I feel. But maybe it'll work in my favor when going through security [Smile]

glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I traveled with all my IV meds and supplys in a carry on large bag with lots of compartments. I would NEVER check my meds for fear of them getting lost.

You will probably need scissors so definitely call the airlines and get some kind of confirmation that you can print out and show security just in case.

I didn't have too much of a problem, but they did want to look thru stuff. Good luck and have a nice time.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

up for more help!

with the way I've been feeling, I really don't know if I'm gonna be able to go [Frown]
but just in case things improve in the next week I want to be prepared.

a couple things I'm still really confused about:

1) how do you get a dressing change out of state?? with liability issues, it seems like it's gonna be hard to find an IV nurse willing to do it

2) I've been having issues with low wbc and may need blood work drawn while I'm away. how do I do this other than going to an ER?? (my insurance only covers emergencies out of state)

due to my recent problems on the IV, I'm looking into switching our flight so I'm not away as long. I'm also dreading telling my IV nurse since she already said I can't/shouldn't go. all this stuff is really stressing me out. [Frown]

[confused]

soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you could get a doctor's order for LabCorp/Quest/ whatever lab is in that area? Take it with you and make a quick trip to the lab. If you don't have too many tests done, maybe it will be cheap enough? Never tried it myself, but that would be my first guess.

I hope you get feeling better before your trip. It is stressful trying to coordinate all your supplies. Hope you're able to enjoy time with your family.

As for your nurse, just tell her and ask how you can best take care of yourself while away. Mine didn't want me to travel, either, but once my mind was made up, she had to just accept it : ) She did say that any problems at all with my arm or the line would warrant a trip to the ER, especially after flying.

Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement