LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CymBalta

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CymBalta
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a psychiatrist today and I told him I have fibromyalgia to speed things along. I basically was looking for clonazapam for sleep.

He ended up giving me some samples of cymbalta even though I told him that I tried several antidepressants and the latest one (wellbutrin) made me not sleep!

He asked about Lyrica and I told him that it helps me sleep but the next day I am emotionally flatlined and depressed as well as very very tired to the point of passing out.

Has this helped anyone?

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hope4sofia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hope4sofia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cymbalta works differently than other antidepressants. It actually works better for pain and anxiety.

I take it on a low dose and it helps my anxiety. I don't take a high enough dose to help sufficiently with my pain but I think it helps keep me pain level down a bit.

It does make you tired. I used to take it at night for that reason.

It is a difficult med to stop taking. The withdrawal symptoms are very disturbing.

good luck,

--------------------
Sofi

Posts: 150 | From Northern California | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why didn't he just prescribe you clonazepam? Maybe your LLMD will do this? That stuff is a livesaver for me, literally. Clonazepam or nothing when it comes to sleep.
Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a bad experience with Cymbalta. My therapist loves the drug as a help in reducing pain and working with depression, but it didn't work that way for me.

I began sweating profusely on 10 granules from a capsule. I thought it was Babesia, so I slowly ramped up on the granules to 15 and then 20. The sweating was worse than anything I'd experienced with Babesia!

While it helped keep some of the depression at bay, I began having horrible chest/muscle pain, knots behind a shoulder blade, flu-like body aches, and fatigue with muscle pain. Weight gain began quickly too.

Got so sick that I forgot to take the doses. Without the Cymbalta, I began feeling better. With the cymbalta, the whole cascade began again.

Needless to say, I stopped it and feel much better. Stopped hitting my head against the brick wall....

Serotonin re-uptake drugs do not work for me -- they make new symptoms that make me feel worse. Still need something for abx induced depression....

Hope you reap the benefits that I've heard about regarding the efficacy of Cymbalta. They sound good --

Best,

wiserforit2

Posts: 273 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toppers:
Why didn't he just prescribe you clonazepam? Maybe your LLMD will do this? That stuff is a livesaver for me, literally. Clonazepam or nothing when it comes to sleep.

He did also, 1 mg at night.
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got head-banging migraines from day one on Cymbalta, I only was able to try it two days or so! But then I get that from 75-80% of all meds I try--esp antidepressants.

I also get bad sweats from SSRI's. Horrible. I can take 5 HTP and Same-e fine. Which isn't enough, esp for the abx depression, but . . . what to do??

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Cymbalta for peripheral neuropathy and it helps tremendously.

I had tried many, many options prior to Cymbalta, so it was a last resort.

However - I hear getting off of it is a pain in the rear, and for that reason you might want to think carefully before starting it.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

went back to the psychiatrist today and he was disappointed that I didn't start the cymbalta, despite me mentioning the terrible side effects of the others.

He tried to convince me that most of my symptoms would disappear with an antidepressant!

Do you think I should really try it?

All the drugs that I try I always test with small amounts first.

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did he address any concerns about withdrawal, when you are ready to get off of it? Would be nice to hear what he has to say about that.

I don't think most of your symptoms would disappear with an antidepressant - although some of them might be more bearable.

Not saying you should or shouldn't try it, but if you decide to try it - here is what my LLMD had me do...

using the samples, empty the capsules out and start with a quarter of a cap per day

after a week, work up to half a cap

after another week, up to 3/4 a cap

and so on.

--------------------

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hope4sofia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hope4sofia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Cactus is wise.

Also, Cymbalta does not work in the same way as most anti-depressants so it probably won't have the same effect.

I keep it at a very low dose - 30mg. They even have a 20mg cap you can take but it's not enough for me.

Withdrawal is bad though.

If you decide to take it, give it several weeks. The initial side effects you might feel will most likely wear off in that time.

Of course, I don't think it will fix all your problems. I get very irritated when Drs suggest that. It's like saying it's all in our heads! But it will hopefully help some of your symptoms while you treat the real problem.

--------------------
Sofi

Posts: 150 | From Northern California | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had no problems getting off cymbalta..
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Cymbalta for a few months.

My dosage was 30 mg, and it helped a lot with both sleep issues and body aches.

At the time it was prescribed for me, I had been in treatment for Lyme for years without any depression issues, but then I went through a very rough period in my personal life (on top of dealing with Lyme), and needed the extra help.

I was not aware at the time of how much I had been declining because of depression, but fortunately, my LLMD was on top of things, and put his finger on the problem.

Once I started feeling better, and my personal life evened out, I had not trouble getting back off the Cymbalta.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EtherealGirl
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 60mg of Cymbalta and can't live without it. It keeps both my pain and my Lyme rage at bay. I don't consider going off of it because it works so well for me. Been on it for probably six years. It does not, however make me tired. Just the opposite. It gives me energy, so I take it in the morning. Good luck to you!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

quote:
Originally posted by cactus:
Did he address any concerns about withdrawal, when you are ready to get off of it? Would be nice to hear what he has to say about that.

I don't think most of your symptoms would disappear with an antidepressant - although some of them might be more bearable.

Not saying you should or shouldn't try it, but if you decide to try it - here is what my LLMD had me do...

using the samples, empty the capsules out and start with a quarter of a cap per day

after a week, work up to half a cap

after another week, up to 3/4 a cap

and so on.

exactly cactus! I just did that. And this is the 30 mg dosage!
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PCP told me Cymbalta had zero addictive properties and anyone can get off w/no issues. Same with Lexapro.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

It's great to hear so many haven't had trouble getting off of it - that is good news.

I take 60 mg now, and have varying doses of it since starting Lyme treatment in '05.

I do think it helped a lot with pain - it took a while to build up (seems like I had to give it a month or two to really work up to the right dose and feel it take effect), and then it was a great help.

Here's hoping that it helps you, too,
Cactus

--------------------

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

thank-you

have you ever tried other ATDs before cactus?

cactus
Member # 7347

ATD = antidepressant? Is that right? (Wow, my brains is not on top of things yet today.)

I don't have a ton of experience with ATDs -

I took zoloft for 6 months in college when my best friend was terminally ill and I was her primary caregiver. It was a crutch to help me through it, and it worked. I'll always be grateful that it was available.

LLMD suggested that we try Cymbalta for the peripheral neuropathy, after all the other options I'd tried didn't touch it.

I can't remember everything I'd tried - neurontin, topomax, more...

Cymbalta was the first med to help with lessening the pain.

But I started it in conjunction with Lyme/Babs treatment so that was a factor too.

How are you feeling now? ...I remember having more energy when starting Cymbalta.

Hoping that you are finding the answers you need to get well,
Cactus

--------------------

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

well Im trying to abbreviate here. lol

Lots of people do it, I know abx is antibiotics so why cant ATD be antidepressants.

Typing long words is difficult for most of us.

Yes the cymbalta is ramping me up a little bit, but I dont know if its a good idea to take it with coffee.

Anyway, I cant get around seeing my LLMD again. I went on the search looking for other doctors and this is what I got!

I saw 3 in the past month and they have heard of fibro and lyme but dont believe it 100%.

I still have to treat with abx though, but I cant handle the herxes!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

BTW thank for the thoughtful answer.

Have you ever tried Lyrica? It puts me into a coma like state, and I sleep well, though the next day I am a zombie!!!!!

I will take pain over a zombie any day. I really take it when I am slightly manic and really need sleep.

minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took cymbalta for about 2 years during treatment, and I think it did help with the pain and mood swings when I was at my most ill -- I know some people have a terrible time getting off it, but for me, that was really no problem. It certainly didn't get rid of my symptoms, but it did seem to help some.

Now that my symptoms are mostly gone, I have no need for the cymbalta.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

lymeHerx, I like ATD! Way easier to type!

Keep us posted on your progress, okay?

I've never tried Lyrica, but have been offered it.

I was hesitant to add another med to the mix, when Cymbalta seemed to be helping anyway. So I passed.

mini, it is really good to hear you got off of it easily - most of my Lyme symptoms are either gone or very diminished so I'd like to start thinking about getting off of it soon, too.

--------------------

losferwrds
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
My PCP told me Cymbalta had zero addictive properties and anyone can get off w/no issues. Same with Lexapro.

I would research that, SSRIs have withdrawal if you take them long term, they are very difficult to get off of for certain people, google cymbalta its a SNRI I believe, it effects 2 tramsmitters instead of just serotonon, lexapro is a SSRI, google cymbalta withdrawal and lexapro withdrawal you will find horror storys.

All Antidepressents have honey moon period where they work great then the side effects hit, weight gain, no orgasm, no emotions, then they simply stop working after about 6 years, short term you may dodge a bullet but I was on paxil for 10 years, it stopped being effective, and I tapered over a month and went into full blown withdrawal, hot and cold flashs, 24-7 migraine, brain shivesr, nausea, i reinstated the drug and have been on a 20mg to 0 taper 1mg a month drops, 20 months to quit, currently in month 17 @ 3mgs, NOT FUN.

This is my personal experience, but please research it online, the docs that say they are harmless are ducks.

ILymbo2
Member # 13266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILymbo2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can miss no more than 3 days of cymbalta and become severely depressed and cannot control

the horrible thoughts or feelings.

Posts: 31 | From Central Texas | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

well the cymbalta gave me Tartive Akathasia!

I went to a different psych today and he told me that I dont even have to take it.

I started banging my whole body against the seat while driving and felt like i was going to bite off my tounge!

Then I felt like a buzzer was going off in my brain and I had to run from place to place, an anxious type feeling.

I like the motivated feelings but with that crazy urge to bang my head and body and arms and feet. No thank-you!

Im pretty much screwed. I dont want to take seizure meds to stop that feeling from happening.

Lyrica just makes me depressed.

One could say "why dont you just take lyrica with the cymbalta.

Thats kinda like taking a speedball I think.

The Lyrica makes me SO out of it.

cactus
Member # 7347

Cymbalta is not med to stop suddenly - you'll definitely want to wean down slowly. Like most ATDs.

--------------------

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I took 1/2 dose for 3 days!
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Really I wish I wasn't like this. I think it has something directly to do with the burning of my nerves in my feet from sugar and drugs.

My nervous system is just too sensitive to stimulants.

Benzos seems to do the trick for taking me down but anything that brings me up is craziness.

cactus
Member # 7347

Yikes, lymeherx!

It's not the one for you!

We must have posted at the time because I was addressing ilymbo when you posted.

At least you don't have to mess with working your dose down slowly - that's good!

What's next, then?

--------------------

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I dont know, I wish they made these things in micro amounts like 1 mg.

I actually took 2 of the little pills out of the time release capsule and feel some slight stimulation.

Maybee I will just take a micro amounts of it and try that?

I swear, even the wellbutrin did this with insomnia.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I wonder if this is worth it taking 1/10th the dose?

I took 3 little pills out of the time release capsule this morning and now with my coffee its giving me some more focused energy.

I still dont know why they dont make these in very small dosages.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

does cymbalta cause fatigue? Im feeling tired taking it now
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking 90 mg of Cymbalta for years and it has really helped me immensely. It cut my pain in half, almost rid me of depression and anxiety, and has worked better than any ATD I've tried.

Losing about half the pain was a great bonus, too. I recommend anyone try it, but it's important if it isn't helping to make sure you try upping the dose. It did not help me until I reached 90 mg, then it kicked in and helped out big time.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

I have CYmbalta but am afraid to start taking it?

I want and need help with anxiety so badly that I think is worse on abx, have been trying L-tryptophan and it seems ok but I also reduced abx for some relief.

I feel like I really need to try Cymbalta but it seems like it is the antidepressant with the worst negative press. Not sure what to do, may ask my local Dr. for something less severe first.

I feel like the natural stuff is the way to go but am afraid dosage is guess work and don't know enought about L-tryptophan, 5HTP or SAM E?

I really feel like I could improve so much if I could get past the anxiety/panic and slight depression now. I feel depressed just because so much is unknow like how long will I be sick, when will I get better, will i get better?

I am so desperate to get rid of this feeling that I think I need to start trying some sort of SSRI but so afraid of cymbalta for some reason.

It is still so new and has possibility of severe liver damage. I think my liver is where most of my pain is so this especially makes me nervous.

What SSRI or SNRI experience besides cymbalta has anyone had?

I have read an old post from someone here that was on Paxil that actually said it was helping to kill off bacteria? Sound familiar to anyone?

I think being on something could possibly prevent damage to that area of my mental being?

I hope I make sense just looking for other ideas or experiences. I know some of us can't tolerate SSRI.

My brain went into serious confusion when I had colonoscopy procedure done in April 09, the Versad really messed me up and it took me 1-2 weeks to get it out of me. I was so confused and foggy with my first anxiety/panic and I didn't know I had Lyme disease then. I know I was sick with something then. Not DX until June 09.

That same week my local Dr. thought I should try Lexapro because of the symptoms I described during that week after procedure. It made me worse. Couln't stop shaking... I stopped it after 7 days and after 3 days the shaking went away. This could of been from Versad wear off still.

What to do???

CIndy

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

thank you Tracy! As you can see I am giving it another shot...
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

btw SAME made me very manic. I would stay away from it. I didnt sleep for 2 months after taking it.
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

well I have some good news.

The cymbalta seems to be working while im cutting it with 1.5 mg xanax a day.
Thats the only way to keep the side effects away.

Today I am more stimulated and motivated, especially with coffee.

Still need clonazapam at night thouse.

gn

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

what I didnt mention is that its making my orthostatic hypotension worse!
cactus
Member # 7347

Hey lymeHerx! I just saw that you're giving it another go!

It's great news that you are feeling more motivated and stimulated, and maybe this is going to be a good thing after all.

For the first few years on Cymbalta, I needed sleep meds. But I needed them prior to Cymbalta, too.

No longer need those, now that Lyme and co's have been much better addressed! (yippee!)

On the orthostatic hypotension - Is that a side effect of Cymbalta? I can't recall.

Do you have POTS? Did you have it prior to Cymbalta? ...Maybe the Cymbalta would exacerbate those symptoms?

I do have POTS... but with adequate liquid and salt intake, plus meds - it's pretty manageable.

But if it's so bad that you are in danger of passing out - please be careful. You don't want to hit your head and compound your troubles!

...Happy to hear that you are making some headway into Cymbalta and hoping that it helps you. [Smile]

Your Cymbalta Buddy,
cactus

--------------------

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

First few years! WOW!!!!

I have gotten orthostatic hypotension in the past most recentlly from plaquenil of all drugs!

Also rhodiola and stimulating herbs give it.

Coffee doesnt do it unless I drink to much.

Whats POTS?

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

doing well on the Cymbalta, still taking 5 drugs to sleep.

Only 2 to wake up. Caffeine and Duloxetine

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

^
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of pain did Cymbalta help relieve? It didn't help me at all, but I still have some, wondering if I should try it again? I always feel like a failure when these "pain" type drugs like Lyrica, Cymbalta, Neurontin fail on me. None of them ever helped, made me sleepy, or anything. Ugh!

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
Labcorp: IgM: 23+, 41+
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

skin pain it helps rlieve, and gives me more energy.

I had to work up. I started by taking the capsule open.

LYRICA was like a lobotomy where they take out your brain.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement